diy solar

diy solar

AC-DC Lifepo4 charger reccomendation?

vtx1029

I do a lot of off grid winter camping in my trailer (ice fishing). My ultimate goal is to add solar panels but being we don't have a ton of sunlight in the winter I would like to get a nice 12v-40 to 50amp charger for my DIY Lithium battery (12v / 280 ah) so I can charge off of my generator. Does anyone have an affordable unit they would recommend?

Thanks

Somebody will, surprised nobody has. It gets lots of questions possibly a new forum for ac amd dc chargers...

Hmmmm I suppose it depends on one's definition of "affordable", really - that's why I didn't initially respond, because most of the chargers I could point to are, well, not cheap.
At the 40-50A range directly, I could suggest the Sterling ProCharge Ultra (PCU) 1240 or the PCU 1250... that being said, I think it warrants pointing out that it would actually be cheaper to get 2 Victron Smart IP67 12/25 chargers and connect them in parallel to the bank for 50A charge rate.
Unfortunately -due to the high standards to which we expect products we distribute to perform- those are the only suggestions I could really make, and none of them are cheap... but it's a start, I suppose. Good luck!

That Victron IP67 charger you linked to looks like a nice charger. It is not cheap but it is not too far out of line with the Progressive Dynamics that @Will Prowse has listed. More importantly, it is an actual charger with a charging profile. The Progressive Dynamics is just a fixed voltage supply that does not drop the voltage when the charge is complete.

Even better, coming soon (as in, within the next couple of weeks) to VictronConnect: FW update for the IP67 and IP65 chargers that allows an incredible amount of control over the exact charge profile and behavior of the chargers. The screenshots below are from my IP65 charger that's managing my 200Ah LFP home backup system - I'm of course in Victron's beta testing program, so this functionality is not available to the end user quite yet, but again, it soon will be. *Edit* Some of these settings are not actually the way it's set - It reverted to default when I logged back into it... thus why beta testing is so important :rolleyes:

Screenshot_2020-04-01-09-47-39.pngScreenshot_2020-04-01-09-47-43.png

Thanks for sharing! The Victron Smart Blue Power Charger IP67 @ 24V/12A was exactly what I was looking for my use case. Unfortunately there's a severe lack of 24V chargers compatible with LiFePO4.

Looking forward to customizing all the charging parameters. The params look similar to their MPPT chargers, except for Storage Voltage and Recondition Voltage. What do these two do?

Thanks for sharing! The Victron Smart Blue Power Charger IP67 @ 24V/12A was exactly what I was looking for my use case. Unfortunately there's a severe lack of 24V chargers compatible with LiFePO4.

Looking forward to customizing all the charging parameters. The params look similar to their MPPT chargers, except for Storage Voltage and Recondition Voltage. What do these two do?
Hi Kish,
The "recondition" voltage will be inapplicable for an LFP bank, as reconditioning must be turned off entirely -reconditioning is for Pb batteries only, and is effectively a deliberate overcharging of a lead battery to burn off sulfation, which is not applicable to LFP batteries. Changing the battery preset to lithium will automatically turn off reconditioning, but care must be taken when selecting a "user-defined" battery preset, because reconditioning is not automatically turned off in a user-defined preset.
The "storage" voltage will be a lower voltage setting than "float" voltage; for my batteries (ignore the screenshot, again I'm running a beta FW version and the settings reverted to default when I connected to the device to take screenshots) I set bulk/absorption to 14.4v, Float to 13.6v, and Storage to 13.2v. Thus, when the batteries have charged to ~90%, the charger goes into Float at 13.6v (which is my batteries' resting voltage) and after ~4 hours at Float, with no loads on the batteries and no fluctuation of voltage, the charger goes into Storage mode, which is basically "asleep" - it's passing 0 current into the batteries unless the battery voltage falls below my set Storage voltage of 13.2v; if the battery voltage falls below that setting, the charger will turn back on and run a full charge cycle as necessary.

I do a lot of off grid winter camping in my trailer (ice fishing). My ultimate goal is to add solar panels but being we don't have a ton of sunlight in the winter I would like to get a nice 12v-40 to 50amp charger for my DIY Lithium battery (12v / 280 ah) so I can charge off of my generator. Does anyone have an affordable unit they would recommend?
Get one or two 15 V DC 30 Amp LED switched mode powersupplies. They cost $50-$75 each on Ebay or Amazon. Use one or two 30 Amp PWM charge controllers to deliver that current to the LFP batteries.

Hi Kish,
The "recondition" voltage will be inapplicable for an LFP bank, as reconditioning must be turned off entirely -reconditioning is for Pb batteries only, and is effectively a deliberate overcharging of a lead battery to burn off sulfation, which is not applicable to LFP batteries. Changing the battery preset to lithium will automatically turn off reconditioning, but care must be taken when selecting a "user-defined" battery preset, because reconditioning is not automatically turned off in a user-defined preset.
The "storage" voltage will be a lower voltage setting than "float" voltage; for my batteries (ignore the screenshot, again I'm running a beta FW version and the settings reverted to default when I connected to the device to take screenshots) I set bulk/absorption to 14.4v, Float to 13.6v, and Storage to 13.2v. Thus, when the batteries have charged to ~90%, the charger goes into Float at 13.6v (which is my batteries' resting voltage) and after ~4 hours at Float, with no loads on the batteries and no fluctuation of voltage, the charger goes into Storage mode, which is basically "asleep" - it's passing 0 current into the batteries unless the battery voltage falls below my set Storage voltage of 13.2v; if the battery voltage falls below that setting, the charger will turn back on and run a full charge cycle as necessary.

Thanks for the explanation! Since my use case for the charger is for occasional manual on-grid charging (primarily charged via Solar MPPT), I'll disable storage voltage (set it to 0V), so it won't restart the charging cycle. I'm not planning on leaving the charger plugged in anyway.

Thanks
Suggest checking out the IOTA DLS-45 Converter/Charger with it's IQ-LiFePO Charging module. Both total about $250 on Ebay. Links to DLS-45 and IQ-LiFePO module below. Also I attached spec sheet for the IQ-LIFEPO module below as well.

Good luck,
Mike

Attachments

• IQ-LIFEPO_manual.pdf
    250.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Suggest checking out the IOTA DLS-45 Converter/Charger with it's IQ-LiFePO Charging module. Both total about $250 on Ebay. Links to DLS-45 and IQ-LiFePO module below. Also I attached spec sheet for the IQ-LIFEPO module below as well.

Good luck,
Mike
That is an interesting set-up. I had not seen it before. Do you have experience with it?

That is an interesting set-up. I had not seen it before. Do you have experience with it?
Yes...I have been using the IOTA DLS-55 with the IQ4 module as a power supply in my Ham Shack for all my radio gear for 15 years. Not a lick of problems, and not a lick of "hash" (noise) on the radio bands. I also have been using it with the IQ4 module to charge/top off my Sealed Lead Acid Batteries.

I just recently purchased the the IQ-LIFEPO module, which is a simple external swap with the IQ4 module for charging my (currently being constructed) LFP 280AH pack. Still waiting on the Chargery BMS8T delivery (en route). However I have been using it to top off the cells...VERY closely monitored of course. First off, I have absolutely NO stake in IOTA Engineering. I and several of my Ham friends have been using the IOTA DLS converter/chargers and all of us have been very happy...quality products.

If you look at the IQ-LIFEPO specs, the Bulk and Absorption voltages are right on for LFP, as are the high and low triggers. However, make no mistake, these specs are for the battery pack and not for individual cells. Therefore, the module is NOT a replacement for a BMS.

Although I haven't done so yet, I plan on replacing my existing converter/charger in my travel trailer RV, with the same setup.

I look forward to others' experiences, and comments as well.

BTW...after my original post, I found the DLS-55 (10 amps more) for only $179 shipped! So that's now just $200 with module (and 10 more amps)...great deal.

If anyone looks to buy one of these units, be sure NOT to order with the integrated IQ4 module. You want the model where you can plug the modules in externally.

Keep on keeping COVID-19 Responsible. The only way we will lick this situation!!!!!

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
I gotta look at this IOTA closer too. I don't necessarily like the trigger points with that module since I want to cycle my battery at a lower voltage. It does look like a quality power supply. Gotta see if there is a good way to remote control it.

It's even a little c Cheaper on Amazon and is Prime but I didn't see the Lithium module on there.

I was wondering about that too. The link between the control module and PS can't be too complicated..... can it?
I sent them an email question. I was thinking at worst case a relay could be put in the AC line.

I sent them an email question. I was thinking at worst case a relay could be put in the AC line.
Their tech support is very good. I talked to them a few times. I wouldn't be surprised if by request they would put in a wireless key fob remote or something similar.

One thing that would be nice is if the BMS could feed a signal to the charger to stop.
The charger is on demand...no on/off switch. So, if no amp demand, no feed from charger. And the fan is demand triggered as well.

Back