diy solar

diy solar

Acceptable voltage difference in lead acid battery pack…

Haddly Negla

Learning more every day
Hi there guys. I am about to “upgrade” my system with 4 225 ah lead acid batteries, waiting for final items. In the meantime I’ve started charging my batteries from my damaged 500 watts panel (Vmp 39.0v, Imp 12.82A, Voc 46.8v, Isc 13.40A) with an Epever 40A.

I’ve noticed a slight difference in the batteries voltage : today at the end of the day, 2 of them were at 12.28v, 1 at 12.29, and the other at 12.30. I wonder if that is acceptable or should I hook up a specific voltage with another to pack them definitely in series parallel for a 12 v system when I pick up my ordered items.

(I have 2 540watts panels at home; waiting for 2 Epever 60A with temperature sensor, 4 4/0 jumper cables, 4 4awg SCC-battery cables). The 500 watts panel will be used then for my 2 first 225ah lead acid batteries.

Will Show and Tell later on when the project is done…

From Haiti

That seems pretty close to me, for lead acid, I wouldnt be concerned with that difference, I sometimes see 14.8 on one and 14.4 on the other during charging, although in float they both settle out to 13.6 after the balancer has done its thing. A few tenths difference is not something terrible with these, on LiFePo batteries thats a different story.

Hi there guys. I am about to “upgrade” my system with 4 225 ah lead acid batteries, waiting for final items. In the meantime I’ve started charging my batteries from my damaged 500 watts panel (Vmp 39.0v, Imp 12.82A, Voc 46.8v, Isc 13.40A) with an Epever 40A.

I’ve noticed a slight difference in the batteries voltage : today at the end of the day, 2 of them were at 12.28v, 1 at 12.29, and the other at 12.30. I wonder if that is acceptable or should I hook up a specific voltage with another to pack them definitely in series parallel for a 12 v system when I pick up my ordered items.

(I have 2 540watts panels at home; waiting for 2 Epever 60A with temperature sensor, 4 4/0 jumper cables, 4 4awg SCC-battery cables). The 500 watts panel will be used then for my 2 first 225ah lead acid batteries.

Will Show and Tell later on when the project is done…

From Haiti
Hi there,
Maybe this is not where I should post this but I wanted to do a follow up to my upgrade build.
Now I have my charge controllers and cables.
I have decided to go 24v with my 4 225ah lead acid batteries.
I asked a friend of mine to get me at least a 3000 watts pure sine wave inverter tied to my relatively low budget. And it’s done.
I think he bought a tough one according to the weight and design. But I can’t find any kind of it on the web.
Maybe you could have some idea, comment on the purchase, and give some piece of advice. It is a 3000w 24v pure sine wave inverter

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 7
good move to 24v, I was very happy with my switchover from 12v. Don't know much about the inverter but 3000w should be good for most things. I am running a 3500w Educoa and it has performed perfectly so far, big upgrade from my 2000w one. Seems to draw only 10-15 watts at idle, so no problem for my four batteries. Finally got the system back up running yesterday after the extra batteries and balancers added and started adding the freezers to it, one at a time.

Well, I just picked up the inverter from my friend. I asked him to hook up the cables (6 awg). Looking forward to heading to the country to set everything up (still gonna need to hire a professional to solder the panels up there)
Really no one knows about this brand (“Infinity”)?

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
At 3000w your cables may be a bit undersized. I use 4awg and probably should use 2awg , but mine is rated a bit higher, then again, for now anyway, my loads are small, less than 15a . All depends on your loads.

At 3000w your cables may be a bit undersized. I use 4awg and probably should use 2awg , but mine is rated a bit higher, then again, for now anyway, my loads are small, less than 15a . All depends on your loads.
No I use 4/0 cables. I meant the output cables since the AC output is a direct connection

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 2
Back