diy solar

diy solar

Adding 1x 3k Growatt 24V to my existing #1 and #2 Growatt 3000 24V in split phase

merrillbalan

Current Configuration before adding 3k Growatt:

In my breaker:
1. first leg is connected to Growatt #1 and second leg is Growatt#2

2. I do have a double pole for 240V but currently has no use for this.

My questions are:
1. if I add another 3k Growatt 24v to my system:
a. How do I wire the thew new 3k growatt #3 AC out to my breaker?
b. How do I wire my new 3k growatt#3 AC in to my main Breaker? Do i just need to buy a single pole 15/20amp and connect to any of the first 2 legs of my main breaker?

Any recommendations welcome!
Thank you!

ADDED A PICTURE:
This is 3 inverter thats parallel. at the end, I should have 3 L and 3 N. How do i wire 3 cables to L and N and G?

Attachments

• inverter.png
    inverter.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm very interested in following your project. I can't get my 2 x Growatt 3000 to function in split phase. So I run them each single phase; one to each leg with a common neutral.
I don't know how you would do it with 3 Growatts. The manual describes 2 or 4.

I'm very interested in following your project. I can't get my 2 x Growatt 3000 to function in split phase. So I run them each single phase; one to each leg with a common neutral.
I don't know how you would do it with 3 Growatts. The manual describes 2 or 4.
You should be able to run it and get 240V. I did mine and I get 240V which I have never used so far to be honest. The guy from Youtube has told me per Solar Signature, you should be able to run 3 3k growatts, but according to him, he was not able to as he would get lots of errors and ended up correcting the issues when he went and got the 4th. but for you, you should be able to. You have to make one as the master and turn something 180 degree or something by changing another setting.

Yes, I have HS and 2P (indicating correctly split phases) but 0 output volts (should read 120).

For you, I don't see how you can do it with three. Your electricity will walk like a pirate with a peg leg. It needs balance.

Yes, I have HS and 2P (indicating correctly split phases) but 0 output volts (should read 120).

For you, I don't see how you can do it with three. Your electricity will walk like a pirate with a peg leg. It needs balance.
was reading the manual and it stated for 2 inverters, you would need 400AH battery at least....I am sure you have more than that but just worth stating.

was reading the manual and it stated for 2 inverters, you would need 400AH battery at least....I am sure you have more than that but just worth stating.
Had me starring at the wall for a bit there. I have 2 x 100AH lithiums running 48v Growatts. I believe that is sufficient. They are running 2 freezers and a fridge, some lights & sensors. Even low light keeps them charged via the panels; but split phase eludes me.

this is what I got from Signature Solar tech team....my comments to them are in caps

MY QUESTION IS HOW TO WIRE 3 GROWATTS INTO MY SOLAR BREAKER PANEL(JUST NOTE THAT I THINK THEY SUGGESTS SIMILAR WIRING FROM ONE OF DAVID POZ VIDEOS USING 3 GROWATTS 5000)

FROM SS: As we are not licensed electricians, we cannot give you recommendation on exactly how to wire into the breaker panel of your home. We would suggest that you contact a licensed electrician, preferably with solar experience.

ME: YES THANK YOU

FROM SS: What we can tell you is that these systems are designed to be directly wired into a breaker in a breaker panel, and if you were to have all of these paralleled, they would need to be on the same phase, as this would be 120v, not 240v.

ME: ARE YOU SAYING GET 3 BREAKERS INSTALLED IN ONE LEG OF BREAKER PANEL à ONE FOR EACH 3 GROWATT LVM 24 à BOTH LEGS IN BREAKER PANEL WOULD HAVE 120V EACH

FROM SS: If you are attempting to make a split phase system, you must have an equal amount of inverters on each phase, so 3 will not work.

SPLIT PHASE ON 3 INVERTER WOULD NOT WORK BUT SINGLE PHASE WOULD, UNDERSTOOD

SO I AM WAITING FOR THEM TO COMMENT ON MY STATEMENT IN CAPS

this is what I got from Signature Solar tech team....my comments to them are in caps

MY QUESTION IS HOW TO WIRE 3 GROWATTS INTO MY SOLAR BREAKER PANEL(JUST NOTE THAT I THINK THEY SUGGESTS SIMILAR WIRING FROM ONE OF DAVID POZ VIDEOS USING 3 GROWATTS 5000)

1. FROM SS: As we are not licensed electricians, we cannot give you recommendation on exactly how to wire into the breaker panel of your home. We would suggest that you contact a licensed electrician, preferably with solar experience.

ME: YES THANK YOU

2. FROM SS: What we can tell you is that these systems are designed to be directly wired into a breaker in a breaker panel, and if you were to have all of these paralleled, they would need to be on the same phase, as this would be 120v, not 240v.

ME: ARE YOU SAYING GET 3 BREAKERS INSTALLED IN ONE LEG OF BREAKER PANEL à ONE FOR EACH 3 GROWATT LVM 24 à BOTH LEGS IN BREAKER PANEL WOULD HAVE 120V EACH

3 FROM SS: If you are attempting to make a split phase system, you must have an equal amount of inverters on each phase, so 3 will not work.

SPLIT PHASE ON 3 INVERTER WOULD NOT WORK BUT SINGLE PHASE WOULD, UNDERSTOOD

SO I AM WAITING FOR THEM TO COMMENT ON MY STATEMENT IN CAPS

update:

They answered my comment:

I apologize, but I cannot answer number 2, as that would be telling exactly how to wire into the panel, but yes each leg of the panel is 120v and each should be on a breaker.

Hey guys, I have a Growatt 3k 48 volts, I'm in the market for another one because the garage got converted to a living space and it has a 2 ton, 240 volts AC inverter unit and I need it to run in case of a power outage. I will need to run this Inverter AC unit 24/7 but the Growatt I have is on the other end wall of the house, if I were to run an extension, lets say 30 amps generator extension cord with 10 gauge wires could I get 240 volts from the 2 Growatt inverters to the house panel (200 Amp) with plenty breaker room and 2 extra 30 Amps 2 pole breakers. How could I do that? I have about 17 Kw of LiPo4 batteries, but have to run extensions around the house to power up what I need at the moment. I like to connect the soon to be 2 Growatt Inverters to make 240 volts so I can run the house from the main breaker box. Maybe with a long 30 amps generator cord. Can you get 240 from 2 Growatts by using a 30 amps generator cord and a generator inlet plug connected to the 200 amps circuit breaker main box? This is only to be used for emergency power outages mostly due to some medical equipment we need to run 24/7. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I want to stay away from gas generators houses here are too close and they are noisy and you never know if gas, will be available during extended power outages. Please let me know if you got any questions, I know a 100 ft 30 amps generator extension is not the way to go but at this time, I don't have any other means to get the inverters and batteries closer to the main box and in a safe environment, the main box is outdoors, and would require additional expenses like for a shed. I figure I can get the Growatt, set them up for split face and use a generator cord (4 wires) and plug the cord to the 30 amp generator inlet plug (connected to the main house electrical box) and activate the interlock to get 240 volts going into the house and be able to run that AC which is where my Daughter who is a cancer patient lives. Thanks folks.

Last edited:
Had me starring at the wall for a bit there. I have 2 x 100AH lithiums running 48v Growatts. I believe that is sufficient. They are running 2 freezers and a fridge, some lights & sensors. Even low light keeps them charged via the panels; but split phase eludes me.
Are you saying your wiring is in Single Phase parallel? I am now looking to do this as well as it would give me 6000watts using 2xGrowatt. Any way you can show me pictures of how you wired your main panel breaker for ac input and your load panel for ac out?

Back