diy solar

diy solar

Adding a battery charger to Multiplus AC output 2.

Checkthisout

Solar Wizard
Have a bigger non-inverter generator now and want to increase charging power to shorten run times and take advantage of extra power, save fuel etc etc...

I want to add an EG4 24V 35 amp charger to the 2nd a/c output of the Multiplus.

This output is only active when the generator is running.

To me this would work great but what issues, if any, am I possibly not seeing?

305 AH battery, so charge rate will be about 105 amps total with additional charger.

But I suppose that if the input is capable of carrying everything. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine.

Why not connect the charger directly to the generator?
Instead of making it complicated?

I'll be able to turn the charger on and off remotely via victron connect as well as see exactly how much current its pulling.

At least I think the ac output 2 can be toggled.

I believe it also has a delay function so the multiplus charger will ramp up first and then a minute or two layer, ac output 2 connects.

So lots of benefits.😀

I'll be able to turn the charger on and off remotely via victron connect as well as see exactly how much current its pulling.
At least I think the ac output 2 can be toggled.

How will you access the MP via VC remotely? I can't access either of my Quattros via VC. To my knowledge, VC only works with VE.Bus inverters if directly connected via MK3-USB.

AC output 2 default behavior can be altered, but I think this requires an assistant - maybe virtual switch. I'm not aware of a simple mechanism to toggle it on/off.

I believe it also has a delay function so the multiplus charger will ramp up first and then a minute or two layer, ac output 2 connects.

So lots of benefits.😀

How will you access the MP via VC remotely? I can't access either of my Quattros via VC. To my knowledge, VC only works with VE.Bus inverters if directly connected via MK3-USB.

I use MK3-USB hooked to a mini PC.

I use google remote desktop to access the mini PC.

I control the Epever, Generator, Multiplus and my formerly Daly BMS this way.

PC runs both Victron Connect VC Configure and Assistant currently manages Generator start/stop.

Will dig in later and see what options there are for controlling output 2.

AC output 2 default behavior can be altered, but I think this requires an assistant - maybe virtual switch. I'm not aware of a simple mechanism to toggle it on/off.

Which is the only bummer about Victron thus far. Would be nice to be able to manually toggle things for testing/setup purposes like the built-in relays etc.Screenshot_20240218_144036_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

AC Out 2 is not tracked separately from AC Out 1. AC Out 2 is simply shorted to AC Out 1 with a contactor.

I use MK3-USB hooked to a mini PC.

I use google remote desktop to access the mini PC.

I control the Epever, Generator, Multiplus and my formerly Daly BMS this way.

PC runs both Victron Connect VC Configure and Assistant currently manages Generator start/stop.

Bah... shoulda thought of this. I'm using a mini PC for my Batrium interface.

AC Out 2 is not tracked separately from AC Out 1. AC Out 2 is simply shorted to AC Out 1 with a contactor.

Yeah but the MP is measuring total incoming power including what's flowing over to AC out 2 right?

Bah... shoulda thought of this. I'm using a mini PC for my Batrium interface.

It's the easiest way, especially if you're running on Cellular.

Found it.....Screenshot_20240218_175221_Chrome.jpg

So, you can drive the A/C out 2 relay based on voltage to one of the auxiliary inputs.

I have 2 easily toggled relays left in my generator control box so I can turn on and off manually that way, among other things.

Or have it come on a given number of seconds after the generator starts.

Easy peasy.

Not as stated. There is ONE AC Loads value:

View attachment 196624

It is the total of AC Out 1 + AC Out 2. No way to separate them.

Which I didn't expect to be able to do but I can see the total coming in from the generator vs hooking the charger up before the MP.

I can toggle the charger on and off and watch the wattage change on the input if I wanted to know how much charger is pulling.

Main thing though is is just knowing total load on generator.

Back