diy solar

diy solar

Adding a man lift/ service lift to a backyard tower

kanelr

Hi. so we have been talking and laughing about the trick of tilting down small towers (50-100') for service.
I must repair after storms so here is what i think i want to so -retrofit while I have the lift and am changing from two turbines on a "T "mast down to one larger unit
YES THE TREES ARE COMING DOWN
The sketch is my idea of adding a service lift using pulleys and an ATV winch, powered by the battery bank. The T mast becomes a boom that holds the rider away from the pole. The winch would pull the looped cable connection point down to ground, lifting the seat, There are ladder rung type steps on the tower, and once up to the top service can occur from the steps. Not for the weak of heart.... New guy wires, a coat of paint and replacing the Air 403's with something a little larger. The T mast becomes a boom that holds the rider away from the pole.tower mods2a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 10
  • tower mods2.jpg
    tower mods2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 6
  • tower mods2a.jpg
    tower mods2a.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Cable man lifts, are made to do this. I don’t know if it would work for you. I road one once, and will never do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 17
Cable man lifts, are made to do this. I don’t know if it would work for you. I road one once, and will never do it again.
they are definitely a learned feeling, however at 550 a day for a lift I just want to be able to trim trees as they grow back, and I can work from there with a pole saw. Last time i was up there without a lift just a ladder it was not fun.

There are crank up and tilt over towers for ham radio. They telescope down to 20 feet or less with one winch and then tilt over with a second winch.

I used to have a 40 foot one and now have a 61 foot one so I can do all my antenna work standing on the ground.

Here is an article about a well known ham who did just what you suggest for many years until one day his man lift failed ?.

I also trim my trees from the ground, one cut at the base and the problem is solved ?.

SNEAK PREVIEW That's me taking the old T-Mast down a couple of weeks ago....
CMQI5624.JPG

Why not just sink a suitably deep well, and slide a pipe down inside the steel well casing ?
That could be hoisted up vertically with a simple winch.
With a bit of ingenuity, I am sure a large diameter wind machine could be constructed to tilt the blades horizontal on the main supporting pipe......

Dare to be different !!!

Why not just sink a suitably deep well, and slide a pipe down inside the steel well casing ?
With a bit of ingenuity, I am sure a large diameter wind machine could be constructed to tilt the blades horizontal on the main supporting pipe......

Dare to be different !!!
water table is at about 5'.....

Dare to be different !!!
I do wonder how much that would cost and how deep this pipe would have to go.

Locally, it costs about $100 per foot to dig deep wells for houses here. I don’t know how much.

If its not that expensive, you could have a genius idea.

I do wonder how much that would cost and how deep this pipe would have to go.

Locally, it costs about $100 per foot to dig deep wells for houses here. I don’t know how much.

If its not that expensive, you could have a genius idea.
so at 100/ft the tower is 64',so maybe 60 well hole @ '100/ft=
$6000.00
Add in rack and pinion or some such gear lifting mechanism, that canm femain submerged for the 15 year expected
life of the turbine... priceless. Wiring, lift or gear or pulley motor and devices. waterproof fittings , 1000-6000-20,000?
or Lift rental 300 day.I can't afford to be quite that different....

Are you selectively taking certain one out or a whole bunch in one area?

Why not just rent a dozer and shove them over and cut them up at leisure?

We did this with one property .
IMG_2864.JPG
mostly haircuts so we can keep the animals below happy as well as retain some privacy...one forum guy said "I trim my trees at the grass" I liked that. Pic is current haircut state, will fell 3 large surrounding trees after the push to get the turbine up before winter is done. Then again in 5-7 years.... .... ...

Back