diy solar

diy solar

Adding AC options.

Tulex

Solar Wizard
I have a ditch dug to get wiring from my panels to my house. I MAY in the future add more panels in the same area, so thinking about burying the conduit for this possible additional array next to the the existing conduit to save work/possible damage in the future.

The additional array would be used for AC coupling, as I will have my DC maxed out. Thing is, I know nothing about setting up AC for solar. I would search and figure it out like I did with the DC side of things, but I want to fill the ditch in tomorrow, so need to buy supplies tomorrow morning.

My Sol-Ark 15K can handle just over 19kW of AC, but I'd probably be adding only around 9kW. So, my general questions are:

Am I best off using micro inverters? If so, then I'd be sizing wire for an AC run. In which case, I'd have to figure out how that all works. Do you just bring all the micro inverters to one connection and run from the panels with one set of wires, or run multiple wires?

Can I just add any secondary inverter next to my Sol-Ark and run the DC to that new inverter, and then just use that output for the AC in at the Sol-Ark?

Thing is, this is all for future use if at all. I just really need to size the conduit. With the run being around 200ft, with around 150ft being buried, and with larger being harder to fit into tight spaces, I really don't want to go any larger than necessary.

I would put in a 1-1/2" conduit for future.
2" conduit, if you want to be able to use the full 19kw.

I have a ditch dug to get wiring from my panels to my house. I MAY in the future add more panels in the same area, so thinking about burying the conduit for this possible additional array next to the the existing conduit to save work/possible damage in the future.

The additional array would be used for AC coupling, as I will have my DC maxed out. Thing is, I know nothing about setting up AC for solar. I would search and figure it out like I did with the DC side of things, but I want to fill the ditch in tomorrow, so need to buy supplies tomorrow morning.

My Sol-Ark 15K can handle just over 19kW of AC, but I'd probably be adding only around 9kW. So, my general questions are:

Am I best off using micro inverters? If so, then I'd be sizing wire for an AC run. In which case, I'd have to figure out how that all works. Do you just bring all the micro inverters to one connection and run from the panels with one set of wires, or run multiple wires?

Can I just add any secondary inverter next to my Sol-Ark and run the DC to that new inverter, and then just use that output for the AC in at the Sol-Ark?

Thing is, this is all for future use if at all. I just really need to size the conduit. With the run being around 200ft, with around 150ft being buried, and with larger being harder to fit into tight spaces, I really don't want to go any larger than necessary.
I don’t know if the firmware has improved but Solarks (and other hybrids) had a lot of issues with microinverters. I would play it safe and run DC to a string inverter.

Back