diy solar

diy solar

Advice and input greatly appreciated...

Got it. Thank you..I believe I will do this.. but I will take it a step further.. I will attach the 12v plug and have it all spiced together having the option of ac or dc ? As long as both aren't plugged in at the same time, I see no harm in that, do you?
If it's humanly possible to plug both in at the same time, I'll eventually do it!

If you notice in the video, he doesn't actually destroy his modem's AC supply. The one he cuts up says Netgear. He probably (like me) has a whole box of useless old power supplies. Near the end of the clip he unplugs his (unmolested) Frontier modem power supply before plugging in his new Frankenwire. He probably doesn't even own that modem -- Frontier is an internet provider. So at some point he'll have to turn that modem and power supply back in. Personally I'd tape it to the modem so I don't lose it. Anyway, with the original power supply intact he can go back to AC any time he wants. And he doesn't have to worry about accidentally plugging both in at the same time.

Something like this can be operated in parallel with the solar charge controller. So long as AC is present, battery will be kept a float (longer life).

I do have this.. had it for the past 6 months... are you suggesting this would work also... as long as I keep the batteries as 12v system and not set them up as serial?

Clore Automotive PL2310 10-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Stable Power Supply with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/5oXQUYa

Right ... that is only 12V. A 24V automatic charger would be better for a 24V system.
Two, 12V chargers would probably work, might rebalance the two batteries as needed. But because each charges then drops to float independently, might also make them diverge at times. Then kick in before they drop too low.

Charging one battery at a time is better if nothing else is charging/discharging. I tried to balance out my string of 6V with this while inverter was also keeping the 48V bank charged, and that didn't work so well.

I have a question about MPPT controllers, do they only get monitored via Bluetooth? I'd really like something that is controlled and monitored via wifi if there's one available. All I'm noticing are Bluetooth equipped ones.

BTW... I did send beck the GroWatt as I finally realized it tacky was overkill for my needs at the moment... thanks everyone for your expertise and suggesting the right items for the right tasks.. I'll keep you all posted.

Here are some with wired Ethernet. You might connect various equipment to a router with WiFi.

(It may cost as much as a GroWatt, but I just meant it as an existence proof. You get to look for what you want.)

Well, here's one with WiFi dongle. Not familiar with them:

Thank you.. I did find where they make a wifi module for all of the epever charge controllers.. so I ordered the 40amp mppt 12v/24v model with the wifi module from Amazon for 139$.

But I do have another question, what does the victron 500 Amp shunt do differently than the mppt controller in terms of monitoring the battery and its loads? Coz I'm seeing both devices monitors the battery and it's loads.. could you or someone shed some light on this for me please. Thank you.

SCC only knows the current (and voltage) it puts out. It doesn't know how much current goes into battery vs. inverter.
A battery shunt measures current into/out of battery, so a meter tracking that over time can determine state of charge.

Midnight Classic with Wiz Bang Jr. shunt, or Victron SCC with Cerbo and shunt, can adjust charge controller output to maintain constant battery charge current while supplying varying loads. That would be particularly desirable for FLA batteries that prefer constant charge rate of about 0.12C

Could also be useful for system with lithium and large PV array, where BMS has a particular cutoff temperature to prevent charging when too cold, but battery allowed charge current varies with temperature. Usually, charging is disabled below freezing. But I think if 0.5C can be delivered, a higher cutoff temperature would be needed. Turning current down to something like 0.2C would widen temperature range that could be tolerated.

If it's humanly possible to plug both in at the same time, I'll eventually do it!

If you notice in the video, he doesn't actually destroy his modem's AC supply. The one he cuts up says Netgear. He probably (like me) has a whole box of useless old power supplies. Near the end of the clip he unplugs his (unmolested) Frontier modem power supply before plugging in his new Frankenwire. He probably doesn't even own that modem -- Frontier is an internet provider. So at some point he'll have to turn that modem and power supply back in. Personally I'd tape it to the modem so I don't lose it. Anyway, with the original power supply intact he can go back to AC any time he wants. And he doesn't have to worry about accidentally plugging both in at the same time.
So.... I did find this item on Amazon , 12 Pack DC Power Cable 12v DC Power Plug Cord Male Connectors 2.1mm x 5.5mm DC Pigtail Adapter Barrel Jack Socket Wire for CCTV Security Camera,DVR,Car Rearview Monitor System Video,LED Strip Light https://a.co/d/hDeKJTE , I did double check my Alexa, modem, and router.. and these plugs will fit all my devices... they all do utilize 12v . So am I correct in thinking that if I connect these just to the Epever Mppt SCC load side, then I won't need an inverter of any sorts ?? . I can go from PV to SCC to Load only?? And I'll still have the batteries in place to draw from at night and when I don't have enough solar power... and I did get 2 more panels. But didn't calculate my hook up wiring... I thought I could use my existing y - splitter but with having 2 panels on that already, I'm confused how to get 4 panels connected.. I'll have to order another y- splitter.

Last edited:
Ahh another question in regards to my setup... will I need that DC to DC converter if I plan on going from 24v to utilize 12v devices? Or should I stick with 12v across the board and not attempt a 24v setup at this point?

And by the time you subtract the true 20% from the panel rating, the battery inefficiency, the MPPT being 97% ... the inverter being 85-90% --- yeah they all add up .... thus why i said -- MO' PANELS ...
I did get 2 more 100w panels.. but with only 1 y- connector, how can I hook up 4 panels as a 12v system going into a 12v/24v Epever Mppt SCC ?? Will I need to get another y-splitter?

Thanks for all your advice. You've been a great help with my project.

if voltages are ok for SCC, 4 panels 2s2p and a pair of Y cables.

I did get 2 more 100w panels.. but with only 1 y- connector, how can I hook up 4 panels as a 12v system going into a 12v/24v Epever Mppt SCC ?? Will I need to get another y-splitter?

Thanks for all your advice. You've been a great help with my project.
If you plan on eventually building a system with a constant 2000 watt draw, then 24 volts; constant draw of 1000 watts or less, then 12 volts; constant draw of up to 4000 watts, 48 volts.

For me, its how big you’d want to build the system.

For the converter, There’s many levels of 12 volt use. Most people can get by with not much on the 12 volt side, perhaps 20 amps. I occasionally use leveling jacks on my RV, so I needed 50 amps.

If you plan on eventually building a system with a constant 2000 watt draw, then 24 volts; constant draw of 1000 watts or less, then 12 volts; constant draw of up to 4000 watts, 48 volts.

For me, its how big you’d want to build the system.

For the converter, There’s many levels of 12 volt use. Most people can get by with not much on the 12 volt side, perhaps 20 amps. I occasionally use leveling jacks on my RV, so I needed 50 amps.
Hi. You might think this is odd, but I'm utilizing my studio apartment and powering up all my small electronics that stays on all the time. But even with it's little draw I'm disappointed with what I'm being charged from using the grid. Hence the reason I'm setting up a system with 4- 100 watt panels, the 30am mppt scc and the 2-12v 100ah .. and I feel at this rate. I will invest in an inverter to use my 700 watt microwave, a coffee maker that pulls 560 watts and a toaster using 800 watts. And when I'm really adventurous, I do use a 110v RV rated washer with a spin dryer tub. So I will really not need the grid for hardly anything of my doings.

Like everyone is saying.. Start small and expand but still utilizing everything I've got, this way I'm not overspending and needing to buy items I don't need.

I love all your suggestions and input it's making me think twice what I need and not need to begin with .

The only thing I'm not well knowledgeable on.. Is if I go with 24v system. Do I need the step down converter to use my 5v USB plugs and my 9v and 12v devices. Or will the plugs automatically adjust what I need without needing the converter?

Hi. You might think this is odd, but I'm utilizing my studio apartment and powering up all my small electronics that stays on all the time. But even with it's little draw I'm disappointed with what I'm being charged from using the grid. Hence the reason I'm setting up a system with 4- 100 watt panels, the 30am mppt scc and the 2-12v 100ah .. and I feel at this rate. I will invest in an inverter to use my 700 watt microwave, a coffee maker that pulls 560 watts and a toaster using 800 watts. And when I'm really adventurous, I do use a 110v RV rated washer with a spin dryer tub. So I will really not need the grid for hardly anything of my doings.
That’s a bit to power from 400 watts of panels. In my area, that;s likely to produce 800 watt hours to 2 kWh of electricity daily. You know your power consumption though And if a power audit says this is enough, than awesome.
The only thing I'm not well knowledgeable on.. Is if I go with 24v system. Do I need the step down converter to use my 5v USB plugs and my 9v and 12v devices. Or will the plugs automatically adjust what I need without needing the converter?
I don’t know. I hope your plug has the input range.

That depends on your charging device plugs. I use THIS on a 24 volt system and these were installed when the system was just 12 volts. The $15 price tag makes it unlikely to ever save enough off charging on solar to ever pay for itself. Charging on the grid costs around .4 cents per hour for a USB device. That’s 156 straight days of charging full out at 24 volts and 1 amp. Most of my devices pull less than that while charging.

This does USB charging protocol which automatically adjusts the input votlage to 5, 12, or 24 volts, depending on what the charged device wants. I’ve seen these that only accept a 12 volt input and will only provide 5 volts 2 amps to the device. Others are only built for AC input for wall jacks.

I’m unfamiliar with the 9 volts.

Plugs just pass voltage along, they don't adjust it. With a 24V battery you indeed need a DC buck converter that can put out 12V to avoid frying your devices. One advantage of this is the converter should hold a nice, steady 12V. (EDIT) Many controllers don't regulate the voltage at the load terminals, they just pass battery voltage straight on through. So you'd get something like 14.4V during charging and 11V when SOC is low. Your devices may not like that much variation. I don't know if your Epever regulates the load terminals or not.

Before connecting any devices check the voltage at the Load Terminals. Always double-check polarity, too. I'd connect the devices one at a time. Always connect/disconnect things in the order the manual says (e.g. it might say to always connect battery first and disconnect it last).

One nice thing about the load port is the controller can monitor usage. Some units will report how much your panels generated, how much your loads used, how much went to and from the battery. The controller doesn't know anything about other stuff you connect to the battery directly, though, (e.g. AC charger, inverter, etc.). So it can't tell you about those power flows.

WIth PWM you need to match panel voltage to battery voltage. So with a 24V battery you'd need your panels in 2S2P, with 12V you'd need 1S4P. But MPPT does voltage conversion. Your Epever can probably connect your four panels in series (roughly 72V at max power point) to a 12V battery. It can convert 72V / 5A coming from the panels and send 14.4V / 25A to the battery. Just make sure to obey your controller's voltage limits. For example, the common 40A Epever has a max PV Voc rating of 100V. Your panels are probably rated at ~22 Voc in normal temps, so 4S would be 88V. So far, so good. But Voc increases on cold days. You'd probably be OK down to 0 degree F or so, but you have to do the math. (Or just use 2S2P.)

Details matter when looking to save on your electricity bill. Some utilities have high fixed (or quasi-fixed) fees. Some have time-of-use rates, surcharges and other wrinkles. It's possible to cut consumption 90% and only cut your bill 50%. Commercial customers often pay demand charges, so a 1000 kWh month with one 15 minute period of very high usage might cost more than a 5000 kWh month with no peaks.

Devices like microwaves and compressor motors for refrigerator and air conditioners are notorious for high startup currents that vastly exceed the steady state rating. You have to be careful choosing your devices and sizing your inverter and battery. It's easy to build a system that can't start these devices even though there is enough power to run them once started. Here is an interesting thread discussing problems some people had starting up a DC fridge compressor via the load ports on a Victron MPPT.

Last edited:
You all are probably going to get tired of me and my questions...

I read somewhere, that is a rule of thumb to to double the fuse size of the amps your pulling, is this true??? For example.. if I have a device pulling 2amps, should I put in a 5amp fuse? Or do they make a 2amp fuse? For inline fuse holders.

Fuses and thermal breakers shouldn't be asked to carry (continuously) more than 80% of their rating, to avoid nuisance blowing.

So fuses and wires should be sized at least 1.25x the A(rms) current draw. If the current is DC, then that would be A(DC), but if ripple riding on top of DC, it should really be RMS not Mean average. For inverter cables I would say give an additional 1.12x multiple due to ripple. And of course, DC current has to be determined considering inverter inefficiency and lowest battery voltage.

Whatever fuse rating, the wire ampacity rating should be at least 1.00x that much (fuse sized to protect wire like Darren said)

If both wires and fuses are 2x current draw, that should avoid blowing except in case of a short.
We may want fuses closer to intended current, hoping they might protect the device as well. Fast-blow and dual element fuses have a better chance of doing that. The primary protection against electronics burning out is them being designed to detect and shut down in case of overloads.

Thank you for better explaining the purpose of fuses...

Here's another question?? And thank you for being patient with me...

I've seen potable solar panels with only charge controllers attached to them and no batteries being connected from people using them.... with this in mind....

Can I use a cheap SCC, connected only to a 100 watt 12v solar panel with a voc of 24.8 , and as long as the scc can output 12v on the load side. Use this without a battery in direct sunlight for daytime devices??? Or... is there something you'd suggest me doing before trying this out? Any suggestions?? Thank you again.

I don't know how to put this.... I can't afford to be cheap, it's too expensive. Generally, when someone is spending more time on the cost savings than a proper design, it's trouble.
What your talking about, can be done. But, generally a battery, of some sort at least, gives you some current stabilization. And, even some carryover for a occasional cloud.
?

Back