diy solar

diy solar

Advise on upgrading my existing solar setup

Otsile

Hi first time poster so please let me know if there are any threads i should look into if some of what i am asking has already been covered. Since this is my first post I will provide some background, but it anyone wants to skip to my question it will be further down in the "My question" heading.

Background
I have a farm that started moving to solar 6 years ago. We installed a 16 x 275w panel array and inverter (not sure on brand) to run a 2.2kw submersible pump to pump water from our borehole into a 150 000l reservoir for our livestock. It has worked flawlessly. During winter, the pump is run once every 2-3 days for 3-4 to replenish the reservoir and in summer is in run daily for around the same duration. It is located approximately 300m from the farmhouse.
We also have a small solar setup in our farmhouse which consists of 1 x 300w panel, 1x pvm charge controller and 1 x 24v 100ah gel battery. This was installed when the house was built around 5 years ago and our initally requirement was just to have led lights in the evening and charging capacity for our cellular devices. We spend approximately 50 days a year on the farm and therefore didn't have much there initially. We have since added more and more devices, primarily tv and satellite dish, more lights and security cameras. They all draw around 150w in total when running.
We live in a semi arid desert in Botswana, Southern Africa and we probably have around 300 days of full sunshine per year. In our hours of sunshine average 10.5 hours and in summer around 13 hours.

My Question
We want to upgrade and integrate the two systems mentioned above. I would like to upgrade the house to a 5000w growatt invertor and 5.12kw lithium battery. I wanted to know if we can use the existing 16 panel array to power both the house and the pump? I assume I would have to place the invertor and battery near the existing solar panels and run a cable from the invertors to the farmhouse(300m). The initial installer only deals with solar pumps for boreholes and has said it is not possible to integrate his setup to an hybrid invertor that can be used to power the house. However since the pump only uses the panels for at most 20% of the day, i don't know why can't use the access power generated to power the house and charge the batteries..

I am a computer engineer by profession so know basic electronics and not much about solar installation and since the farm is extremely remote (7 hours away from my primary residence) I wanted to know if there is any information i need to collect when i am there to know if what i want to do is feasible or if i should just purchase additional panels and setup a discrete solar system for the house.

However since the pump only uses the panels for at most 20% of the day, i don't know why can't use the access power generated to power the house and charge the batteries
I think your best in that case would be a transfer switch on the DC line , so you can choose either well pump OR hybrid inverter

Or better yet hook all panels up directly to the hybrid , and run a well pump off the AC side of the Hybrid

Pump ac or dc?
What voltage and amps?
Single phase, split phase, 3 phase?
What voltage and phase do you want at the house?

Does it get below freezing in the winter? Pump house for solar you can keep warm?

How do you plan to get power from pump house to home?
Room for more panels at pump house?

Pump ac or dc?
What voltage and amps?
Single phase, split phase, 3 phase?
What voltage and phase do you want at the house?

Does it get below freezing in the winter? Pump house for solar you can keep warm?

How do you plan to get power from pump house to home?
Room for more panels at pump house?
The pump is ac, 3 phase 380v.
The house is 240v single phase.

We can get minimum temperatures of below zero 1-5 days a year, although some years there are no temps below zero. At the moment the inverter pump station is not indoors. it is in stainless steel cabinet mounted on a pole next to the panels.

We were thinking on building a one room structure to house all the electrical components. We have plan on using 16mm armoured 3 core cable from the pump station to the house.

The panels are essentially in an open field on frames. There is plently of room on all sides to add more panels.

In the UK I have an existing solar array and due to grants etc I didn't want to alter it. I added a Sofar ME3000SP to divert the excess power to my Seplos 14.3Kw storage battery, without adding or altering my existing PV array.

I am now changing to a bigger hybrid inverter a Sunsynk which are very popular in South Africa I understand, take a look at their YouTube videos? The videos might help to solve your issue?

Back