diy solar

diy solar

Existing Cabin Panel

I'll have to check in inrush of my pump when I open camp in the spring. I vaguely remember it pulling over 12 amps running. Having everything Victron would be kind of cool if I ever moved the setup to civilization and could use the interfacing options.

From your name, I'm guessing you are near the refuge? I'm down by the Garden peninsula. Neighbor camp had a picture of a moose that must have originated
Yep Seney. I travel all over the place. If you ever need any help, message me and ill stop by.

I would be tempted to use the existing well pump to fill a plumbed in IBC tote, then a car battery, a 12v charger and 12v pump to actually pressurize the cabin. I live offgrid with a IBC tote filled from jugs, a car battery and 12v pump and its works great. Cheap too.

I would be tempted to use the existing well pump to fill a plumbed in IBC tote, then a car battery, a 12v charger and 12v pump to actually pressurize the cabin. I live offgrid with a IBC tote filled from jugs, a car battery and 12v pump and its works great. Cheap too.
That’s basically what I do during the non-freezing season.

It’s had ancillary benefits a couple of times as I could go elsewhere with the tote on a trailer and get water 2000lbs at a time.

The ‘tank’ actually helped re-destination my life. 2017ish i started a journey to independence, by ‘19 I had rented a secluded lot for $35/month with no water or power, bought my first solar, and bought the tote to bring in water for my ‘stationary rv’ situation.
Bettered my circumstances a couple times with the money saved and now have moved to property I bought with money I didn’t have to spend.

The tote on a trailer enabled water without constant jugs and planning; running water for a shower once or twice a day let’s you be/live “normal” and keep a professional job without ‘feeling’ the consequences of sacrifices you made to change the future as well as maintaining ‘appearances’ necessary to keep a real job. “Homeless expenses” without being homeless or otherwise vulnerable.

Those 275-gal totes have so many uses offgrid. On the rented lot I collected enough rainwater to not have to go get water for months on end on that rented property once I thought of it. And when I build my garage this summer I’m going to put some “big ones” under the floor- insulated- to store “waste heated” water for heating. If one needs to collect gray water they are useful, too. And if you need portable pressure washing they’re great for that, as well as garden watering instead of 500’ of hoses.

Those totes are so useful!

For the OP’s camp that is a great idea.

also, I have a normal light switch wired into the pump power by the sink. flick it on when you need water. only downside is forgetting to switch it back off at times, i keep meaning to wire a warning light into it.

Back