diy solar

diy solar

Again Ready to purchase

RV Jim

Newbie needing help
Ok I think I am committed(or should be committed) to building my own solar system. I've been watching come of Wills older videos and would like real user real world advice on the best not the most expensive MPPT 50 volt 20 amp and 1000-1500 watt inverter and real life recommend 100ah-200ah lifepo4. I'm still on the fence about building a 12 battery or buying one...I could use any and all help any of you can offer. I'm not opposed to getting a bms and cells just not sure about safety and reliability from "my home built" battery.

Slow down a bit and outline what it is you want to accomplish? Just building a solar system for the sake of building a solar system? What is the goal here? Do you just want a little system to power your beer frig, or do you want to power the house?

Questions like "MPPT 50 volt 20 amp and 1000-1500 watt inverter" just sounds like gibberish? Systems are typically designed around three system voltages, 12V, 24V, and 48V; or small, medium, and large. When you say "50 volt" did you actually mean a 48V system?

What does "20amp" supposed to mean? What is the significance of 20A when many, many controllers output far higher than that?

You want to power 1000-1500W loads? Don't buy a 1500W inverter if you want to supply a 1500W load. Details are important here.

What kinds of loads you want to power can dictate what kind of inverter you need. Please don't rush out to buy anything until a fleshed out plan has been first created.

MPPT 50 volt 20 amp just sounds like gibberish
Most likely the OP means an MPPT SCC that accepts 50V max PV input voltage and has a charge current of 20A. It's no different than recommending a 100V 60A SCC (or any other voltage/charge current). The OP probably has a small solar array planned.

Systems are typically designed around three system voltages, 12V, 24V, and 48V;
The OP mentions a 12V battery.

real life recommend 100ah-200ah lifepo4
Will has a whole page on this:

Hopefully others can give you good recommendations on the SCC and inverter though Will does have pages for those too.

Many of the recommended brands offer different sizes.

Slow down a bit and outline what it is you want to accomplish? Just building a solar system for the sake of building a solar system? What is the goal here? Do you just want a little system to power your beer frig, or do you want to power the house?

Questions like "MPPT 50 volt 20 amp and 1000-1500 watt inverter" just sounds like gibberish? Systems are typically designed around three system voltages, 12V, 24V, and 48V; or small, medium, and large. When you say "50 volt" did you actually mean a 48V system?

What does "20amp" supposed to mean? What is the significance of 20A when many, many controllers output far higher than that?

You want to power 1000-1500W loads? Don't buy a 1500W inverter if you want to supply a 1500W load. Details are important here.

What kinds of loads you want to power can dictate what kind of inverter you need. Please don't rush out to buy anything until a fleshed out plan has been first created.
Ok, this is my thoughts. 12v will be the primary usage. It will be used to charge devices and run led lights more than likely a small cooler. I have a 400 watt aray that is already installed on my 6x10 converted cargo trailer to camper. I have been reading Wills suggestions for a small system of 400w with a size suggested MPPT and inverter size. I have a shore power connection that can be used to help the solar help charge when needed. The reason I ask for help is the more I read the more confusing it is becoming. I'm really not sure exactly where to start...build a battery-buy a battery..100ah-200ah. Which MPPT controller to use ...then there is the the term "shunt" I don't completely understand then there are the fuses at the battery. I DO Have 2 books athured by Will and will read and re-read until I completely understand.

I suggest not limiting yourself to a 50V MPPT. Unless this is a small camper system and you won't want to upgrade, something in the 150V range will give more flexibility in PV panel selection and array configuration.
Lots of larger panels these days would exceed 50V, either nominal or on a cold day.

You may not need a shunt. That is to allow an external meter to read 100's of amps or track amp-hours. That function is going to be built in to some equipment.

You need to know how may kWh of loads you will have per 24 hour day, how many after dark, the highest wattage loads you will run at one time, and the peak starting wattage for any motor loads (plus other wattage running at same time.)
With those figures, you can size PV array, battery, SCC, inverter.

Buy/build battery and chemistry depend on things like $$ budget and how many deep cycles you expect. One deep cycle every night for 10 years is different from a few weekends of camping per year. LiFePO4 has some (many) advantages but some problems as well, so lead-acid can be a better fit for some applications.

I guess the bottom line is I have 4 100 watt panels on the roof and cabling inside the trailer. I do not plan to change the panels or add to it as they are covering the roof now...so I am asking i need next. Do I just add up all the listed watts for the items I plan to have in the camper ? I am really thinking about not doing solar at all, its becoming more complicated than it should be to run minimal 12v items for a fun weekend out with family.

Sorry if my frustration shows. Here is the deal, I have 400w Solar panels and that is all I plan to have. I will buy or build a 100ah or 200ah or bigger lifepo4 battery to run minimal lights and charging ports and 1 roof MaxxAir fan. This is all I want in the small camper. Anything more than that I will shore power or use a generator. I am seeking advice on what I need after the solar cables that already exist in this cargo trailer/ camping trailer. I'm sure someone here can offer advice from personal usage in a small camper or knows someone who has successfully built a small system that would work with the items listed for use. Input watts are known 400 and output volts are 12vdc. What does anyone think the current draw be and how much efficiency is lost through the control component's. I guess that is the question as best I can put it. I don't have a total watt count because I have no idea what I can realistically except to use and come close to replenish in the time it takes to charge the battery. Again I am sorry if I am not asking the correct questions for the answer to get the best mppt and maybe an inverter if what I am trying to do would support an inverter.

Th
Input watts are known 400 and output volts are 12vdc. What does anyone think the current draw be and how much efficiency is lost through the control component's. I guess that is the question as best I can put it. I don't have a total watt count because I have no idea what I can realistically except to use and come close to replenish in the time it takes to charge the battery.
These are just simple math problems if you understand the ins and outs. You have four 100W panels. Each one most likely puts out~5.5A at ~18Vmp, with maybe 21-22V open-circuit voltage (Voc). The Vmp is what actually charges the batteries. The Voc is what can damage the electronics. So, you need to scale the system so the number of amps going into the battery is enough to charge it, and the volts is not so high you fry the electronics.

Let's say you purchase a budget MPPT controller like the Epever 4210AN. It can handle a maximum of 40amps and 100V. Here is where the Voc comes into play. An MPPT controller acts like a transformer, reducing raw high solar voltage down to battery voltage, while making extra amps at the same time. Long distances and high amperages are the enemy of solar systems. You want to keep that to minimum to reduce power loss. Raising the voltage and lowering the amperage is where the MPPT controllers shine.

Remember the old addage, in series volts add while amps stay the same. In parallel voltage stays the same but amps add. If you put all four panels in series and then connected them to the controller, that would be 22Voc + 22Voc + 22Voc + 22Voc = 88Voc. In cold weather, volts goes up, so that 88Voc at room temperature will surpass 100V just below freezing. So, it isn't a good idea to wire all four panels in series.

Alternatively, you could wire the four panels in parallel. That would be 5.5A + 5.5A +5.5A +5.5A = 22Amps at 18V. Doable, but you'll spend some extra money on thicker copper wire, so you minimize power loss through voltage drop.

The best of two worlds might be two parallel strings of 2 panels in series. That would be 11A at 36V. The Voc would be around 44Voc, which is nowhere near 100V, so your controller is safe.

So, the controller gets fed 11A at 36V and transforms that down to ~30amps at 13V( more or less). 30A is less than the 40A limit of the 4210AN, so you won't fry the controller with too much amperage.

So, what can you charge with 30A? Costco is marketing a nice 6V golf-cart battery now for 99$ +tax and core. Wire two in series to get 12V, and around 28A is about the best amperage to charge them at. You don't want to drain them less than 50% full, but that works out to be 210Ah X 12V X 50% = 1260Wh, or 1.26kWh of power. That will last a while with just lights on and the phones charging. Buy a gallon of distilled water for the batteries though. They will need topping off every 2-3 months. Well-charged, and well-watered, these batteries will last a long time.

I have a 400 watt aray that is already installed on my 6x10 converted
If your roof area is a full 6x10 you could potentially install over 1000 watts on the roof. You might want to keep that in the back of your mind for later on.

It's mostly about what arranges to fit the space, and keeping Voc under max and Vmp above minimum MPPT operation (across temperature.)

What panels would you use for 1000
Here is an example of panels I just bought a few months ago. Got six for 390$ cash and carry.
These would be perfect wired in 2S2P as I described above. Each string though would be putting out ~8A at around 60Vmp. Keep in mind though that 1000W is most likely too big for most 12V batteries. The controller would be trying to put out ~76A. Bumping up to 24V with 1000W is a better choice. A more economical controller can handle the lower amperage at higher voltage.

That’s funny
I bought 6 250watt panels used for $64 each in Phoenix AZ
I will probably buy more

I have a battery voltage question
I'm trying to figure out if I should go with 24 volts from my existing 12 volts but am struggling to see the benefit of doing it
Please give me your input

Back