diy solar

diy solar

AGM Battery Chargers?

Bowlegs868

I'm considering getting a battery charger for my AGM batteries... looking for recommendations

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• eaton-12v-390w-battery-brochure-BAT02FXA.pdf
    200.2 KB · Views: 10
Uncommon specification of capacity. I don't know how to convert that into Ah.

Anyway, based on the dimensions/weight I would guess them at approx 120Ah each.

With 2 in parallel that would be 240Ah. As a general guideline 1/10 capacity is recommended, so in your case a 24A charger.

I would go for a Victron 25A. Victrons are decent, and can be adjusted for other battery types as well, so if you're going to upgrade it's just a matter of changing settings. They aren't cheap however.

Since those Eaton batteries are designed for UPS applications they don't fully match a offgrid/rv setup and I won't be surprised if they dont last very long.

Another option to consider is getting a charger/inverter combi. That might be easier and cheaper than having seperate parts.

I would go for a Victron 25A. Victrons are decent, and can be adjusted for other battery types as well, so if you're going to upgrade it's just a matter of changing settings. They aren't cheap however.
I'm actually looking for an independent battery charger (not a charge controller).
Since those Eaton batteries are designed for UPS applications they don't fully match a offgrid/rv setup and I won't be surprised if they dont last very long.
This is concerning, though. So I'm wondering... which AGM battery is actually suited for off-grid applications?

From another topic I understand TS has a 2S2P config, so requires a 24V charger.

That limits the options a little. The Victrons eg are up to 16A or so, and you're into the more expensive line for higher amps. But I'm sure other vendors might have better options.

This is concerning, though. So I'm wondering... which AGM battery is actually suited for off-grid applications?

I don't know what is locally available for you. For now I would stick to the Eatons. Eaton is decent stuff. Although they are primary designed for UPS applications, they will work, and since you have them just let them running till they fail.

Its not that they will fail, they can. From what I have seen they are simply not for your application, but a UPS and offgrid aren't much off. Only difference is a UPS battery is usually at high soc, without barely any use, where as a offgrid setup has more variation in SOC while charging / discharging. (UPS only runs on a power failure)

Back