diy solar

diy solar

Aims power inverter/charger sometimes now charging?

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
I ha e the following Aims power inverter

It's capable of 100 amp charging into a 12 volt battery bank

I'm currently running a pair of large lithium batteries that works out to about 22 kilowatt hours

There hasn't been a lot of sun lately so I went ahead and fired the generator today and the inverter auto switched over to charge mode, the display showed that it was charging however when I looked at my battery management systems it was obvious that I wasn't getting any power out of the inverters built in charger

I shut the inverter off and fired it back up and it started charging again for a couple hours... But then stop charging... I went ahead and rebooted the inverter again

I'm thinking at this point it might make sense just to get a separate charger... It's also been insanely cold I don't know if that's got something to do with it? Maybe it's an issue with the built-in transfer switch? I don't know

Could it be the generator? I see that the frequency bob's about a bit... 59-64 hz?

Do you have clamp-on DCA meter to see how much the charging current is to each battery, or does your BMS have a shunt that can provide the charging/discharging current capability?
Info on the batteries?

Do you have clamp-on DCA meter to see how much the charging current is to each battery, or does your BMS have a shunt that can provide the charging/discharging current capability?
Info on the batteries?
Yeah the BMS on each battery has a built-in shunt so that you can have a reasonable idea of how much power is coming off of it

Between the solar charge controllers and the battery charger I'm seeing a little over 100 amps which makes sense this charger typically shows me around 90 amps on full tilt

But like I say every now and again the charger doesn't start charging even though the inverters display says that it has gone into charging mode

Simply shutting the inverter off and turning it back on seems to correct that issue for a period of time but then it may shut off a few hours later or it may make it through an entire charging cycle

I know that there is a breaker specifically for the charging circuit I suppose it's possible that that could be malfunctioning or that the charging circuit itself could be malfunctioning

It should not allow the charging current to go over the rated spec. of 100A since it is regulated.
I would try lower the max charge current to 80A (80%) or lower and see what will happen.
BTW, What is the rating of your generator?

It should not allow the charging current to go over the rated spec. of 100A since it is regulated.
I would try lower the max charge current to 80A (80%) or lower and see what will happen.
BTW, What is the rating of your generator?
That is aggregate of the charger and the SCCs

The generator is what I run my welder on... 9500w (12000 peak)

It's never giving me any issues in the last year and a half

Back