diy solar

diy solar

Giandel 1200W 12V Inverter Tripping while charging 60V Greenworks batteries

matttelz

I have this unit: https://www.giandel.com/products/ps-1200jcr

Just curious to know what the issue with my inverter might be... I haven't had any issues with my unit so far. I currently have 200AH LIFEPO4 hooked up to it with 2AWG wire. Everything is nice and tidy. I attempted to charge my lawn mower batteries, 2-60V 4AH greenworks batteries. The charger is a dual battery charger and typically makes this audible clicking noise once or twice then fans ramp up and the unit begins charging. My power meter shows that the charger pulls around 550W charging the two empty batteries. When I tried to hook up the charger to my inverter, the inverter beeped, the LED lights I had on at the moment flickered a bunch of times and the inverter reset. I tried it again with the same issue. I didn't attempt it with 1 battery on the charger though...

I can't imagine I hit my LV disconnect as the 200AH batteries were about 50% SOC and I wouldn't even be getting close to 1000W start up draw...I think.
This is the first time I haven't been able to pull a load on this inverter. So far I've been able to run a toaster at 880W no problem, 550W of laptop chargers/lights/fans etc. Is there something unique about a battery charger that pulls a decent amount of power that would trip a unit like this? I can attempt it again with 1 battery and the SOC of the batteries at 100% and see if the unit trips...
I'm not sure if I'm in the danger zone and shouldn't proceed for fear of blowing up the unit or what. Wondering if anyone else has similar issues and advice?

Thanks!

can attempt it again with 1 battery
Try it and report back.
I am a fan of that inverter. It’s the first one I bought when I put solar panels up originally and I use it several years successfully. It would start my shop and other more than every day loads that I used it for.
currently have 200AH LIFEPO4 hooked up to it with 2AWG wire.
I ran it from 8 fla grp27 marine batteries

I oversized the cables by using 2/0 but your 2AWG might contribute to just enough sag to make it complain. I feel like 2ga is ‘small.’

My currently installed inverter is a QZRELB 2000W. It will only start my 120V tablesaw when the sun is out and I currently have 3 parallel LiFePo4 batteries around 5kWh total. Same scenario

Last edited:
All the power tool chargers I've had have switching power supply type topologies and have horrible power factor. So I'm guessing that though it's 550W of draw, VA rating is very different and it is confusing the protection circuitry in the Giandel.

Back