diy solar

diy solar

Aims power inverter/charger wiring

Not a solar question, but thought I'd inquire here. I have an aims power 4000w pure sine wave inverter charger (split phase 240v) currently its wired up through a 240v ATS because it won't support running both my ACs and my clothes dryer at the same time through the transfer switch in the inverter charger (doesnt put out enough amps even when plugged in). I currently have my lithium converter wired up from the "shore power" input on the ATS so my battery gets charged while on shore power. I'm starting to boondock a lot and I really enjoyed my inverter charger charging my 400ah lithium battery in 2.5 hours while running my generator (when i had it wired through the inverter charger before installing the ATS) instead of running the generator for 13 hours to get a full charge from my converter. SO I was thinking of running this manual transfer switch having the 240v in shore power cable as an "input" then having selector "1" go to the input of the ATS shore power, then selector "2" go to the input to my inverter charger to utilize the charging feature on the inverter. I'd still keep the inverter wired up to the ATS as the second input. I'd wire the converter to selector "1" to utilize the converter while on shore power.

OR can I run the shore power and inverter at the same time to uae the charge feature and get rid of my converter and let the ATS default of the shore power until its unplugged.

Little confusing but I don't see why it wouldn't work

Why is utility power not going through the inverter? This would be standard installation as described in the manual.

The problem is this is split phase inverter and you are overloading one of the legs. Try wiring it like this,

1 a/c on hot 1
1 a/c on hot 2
Cloths dryer on hot 2

The inverter only measures current on hot 1. So what is happening is you have ruffley a 2800 watt load on hot 1. The inverter is going to shut down when hot 1 has over 2200 watts. Hot 2 is not measured by the inverter and is only protected by a breaker.

These inverters will do 4400 watts continuous and ruffley 5000 watts for 15 minutes before shut down. Your cloths dryer may pull 1500 watts but only for intermittent intervals as the dryer maintains temperature.

Overloading hot 2 intermittently will be fine as this low frequency inverter is built for surges and intermittent overloads like this.

It is not the ideal situation as you really need a bigger inverter but this is the inverter you have so in my opinion; this is your best option.

I have the same inverter.

You really should have just got the 120v version. If you would have you wouldn’t have had to worry about balancing the phases. A 50 amp rv is only 120v as it doesn’t combine hot 1 and 2 to make 240v. It is 2 separate 120v 50a circuits.

If you had the 120v version you could have just made a 50 amp rv cord and only hooked the hot 1 to neutral into the inverter. Then hooked the whole panel up to the output.

Not a solar question, but thought I'd inquire here. I have an aims power 4000w pure sine wave inverter charger (split phase 240v) currently its wired up through a 240v ATS because it won't support running both my ACs and my clothes dryer at the same time through the transfer switch in the inverter charger (doesnt put out enough amps even when plugged in). I currently have my lithium converter wired up from the "shore power" input on the ATS so my battery gets charged while on shore power. I'm starting to boondock a lot and I really enjoyed my inverter charger charging my 400ah lithium battery in 2.5 hours while running my generator (when i had it wired through the inverter charger before installing the ATS) instead of running the generator for 13 hours to get a full charge from my converter. SO I was thinking of running this manual transfer switch having the 240v in shore power cable as an "input" then having selector "1" go to the input of the ATS shore power, then selector "2" go to the input to my inverter charger to utilize the charging feature on the inverter. I'd still keep the inverter wired up to the ATS as the second input. I'd wire the converter to selector "1" to utilize the converter while on shore power.

OR can I run the shore power and inverter at the same time to uae the charge feature and get rid of my converter and let the ATS default of the shore power until its unplugged.

Little confusing but I don't see why it wouldn't work
Additionally, the reason it isn’t working when plugged in either is because the charger for the inverter charger is on hot 1. So you where overloading hot 1 from the rv pedestal by pulling 2000 watts for charger, 1500 watts for dryer, and ruffly 1400-1500 watts for air conditioner. The pedestals will usually trip when pulling more than 80 percent of the capacity continuously. The load mentioned is ruffly 42 amps at 120v from hot 1. RV hook ups rarely put out 120/240v. They usually put out way lower voltage. I’ve seen 210v on some with majority in the 220-230v range meaning 105-115v on each hot lines. So considering the lower voltage that load is almost 50 amps not including the start up surge from the air conditioner and the motor inside the dryer to turn the drum.

If you wire it like I mentioned earlier you will then have your loads like this

Hot 1
Battery charger 2000w
A/C 1400-1500w

Hot 2
Cloths dryer 1500w
A/C 1400-1500w

This now will work for sure when plugged into 50 amp rv service and more than should also run when on inverter power given your battery bank can support the loads.

Back