diy solar

diy solar

Looking for reviews—AIMS Power 6000 Watt 48V [Split Phase] 120/240 Pure Sine Inverter Charger |

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
Considering this inverter and wondering if anyone who has one cam comment?

AIMS Power 6000 Watt 48V [Split Phase] 120/240 Pure Sine Inverter Charger |​

Part number​

PICOGLF60W48V240VS​

AIMS Power 6000 Watt 48V [Split Phase] 120/240 Pure Sine Inverter Charger |​

Part number​

PICOGLF60W48V240VS​

I want to say upfront before I give my opinion that I'm allergic to ANYTHING made by aims after problems I had with a similar inverter to the one your linking.

That said. Even when it worked it was ancient compared to what you can get now.

For 1/2 the price you could get a sungold tp6048 and several other nice all in one units that can do anything that inverter does and a bunch more.

For 1/2 the price you get a solar charge controller that can deliver 100amps of charge to your batteries. The same 6000 watts of split phase power. Also it can act in a hybrid role thus using the grid to make up for anything the solar part isn't providing automatically. No having to switch loads in and out to stay without your load range.

The unit I had from them was the 2000 watt model of that same inverter and it died three times. I gave up on shipping it back after the third death. Its a door stop now.

So my opinion would be to find something else... anything else....

I want to say upfront before I give my opinion that I'm allergic to ANYTHING made by aims after problems I had with a similar inverter to the one your linking.

That said. Even when it worked it was ancient compared to what you can get now.

For 1/2 the price you could get a sungold tp6048 and several other nice all in one units that can do anything that inverter does and a bunch more.

For 1/2 the price you get a solar charge controller that can deliver 100amps of charge to your batteries. The same 6000 watts of split phase power. Also it can act in a hybrid role thus using the grid to make up for anything the solar part isn't providing automatically. No having to switch loads in and out to stay without your load range.

The unit I had from them was the 2000 watt model of that same inverter and it died three times. I gave up on shipping it back after the third death. Its a door stop now.

So my opinion would be to find something else... anything else....
Thanks. The Aims is one of two inverters on my list.

I’m looking for a high frequency inverter or inverter charger.

Thanks. The Aims is one of two inverters on my list.

I’m looking for a high frequency inverter or inverter charger.
That aims is low frequency for sure. But that isn't a bad thing. Low frequency inverters are by nature more resilient that high frequency inverters.

The only downside to a LF inverter is idle consumption of power.

If your using it for well pumps and such the LF inverter will work even when close to the rated wattage needed for the pump. On a HF inverter make sure to over size it to handle heavy loads since the surge capacity on a HF is always far weaker than a similar in size LF inverter.

I would still hunt for anything else on the market besides aims in my opinion.

That aims is severely overpriced.
What is the other inverter on your list?
How did you arrive at a 6000w inverter?
Have you seen my thread on my recent AIO purchase in the about section of my profile?

I was just thinking that if the aims is in your budget I might go victron. I'm not a fan of their equipment for a house since it seems overpriced. But for an rv/camer/boat etc its exactly what its designed for.

So considering the harsh environment the equipment faces and it will be in your budget if that aims was acceptable price wise the victron stuff might be your best bet.

That aims is severely overpriced.
What is the other inverter on your list?
How did you arrive at a 6000w inverter?
Have you seen my thread on my recent AIO purchase in the about section of my profile?
I’m going to withhold the name of the other inverter, really want options on the Aims.

Not interested in an AIO for this build.

Trying to run a load at 4000 watts for hours on end for Level 2 car charging. I’m using load as 2/3 rated inverter power as my limit.

I know I have a minority opinion on this forum but that is the exact inverter I have + I also bought the 4kw split phase inverter.
That thing is built like a tank, it weighs almost 100 pounds + it is supposed to handle 18kw for 20 seconds.
Lot of people on here does not like Aims for one reason or another but they have always answered my questions & seem like they know their stuff.
A friend talked me into Aims & he has run his 10kw system for 12+ years with no problems after it was set up correctly.
He called tech support & they walked him through all issues & the same with me, I have called them at least 7 or 8 times.
They are a little expensive but I consider them commercial grade equipment.
The only thing I don't like is my shop LED lights flicker sometimes, I was told it was because I bought cheap lights (true).
Just my 2-cents!

I’m going to withhold the name of the other inverter, really want options on the Aims.

Not interested in an AIO for this build.

Trying to run a load at 4000 watts for hours on end for Level 2 car charging. I’m using load as 2/3 rated inverter power as my limit.
Iirc the aims is made by signeer.

I know you don't want to go AIO but for your intended use this may be a good option at an excellent price.

I know I have a minority opinion on this forum but that is the exact inverter I have + I also bought the 4kw split phase inverter.
That thing is built like a tank, it weighs almost 100 pounds + it is supposed to handle 18kw for 20 seconds.
Lot of people on here does not like Aims for one reason or another but they have always answered my questions & seem like they know their stuff.
A friend talked me into Aims & he has run his 10kw system for 12+ years with no problems after it was set up correctly.
He called tech support & they walked him through all issues & the same with me, I have called them at least 7 or 8 times.
They are a little expensive but I consider them commercial grade equipment.
The only thing I don't like is my shop LED lights flicker sometimes, I was told it was because I bought cheap lights (true).
Just my 2-cents!
Happy to hear a good story. One of the reasons I’m looking at AIMs is their large advertised surge capability.

A lot of inverters advertise a surge capacity of twice the rating, but when you read the fine print, it’s for less than a cycle.

According to aims repair center that "surge" capacity is what fried my inverter like you linked the first time. Apparently according to them if you run it at max or over to long it fries it. The other two deaths were from light load and a possible power surge from a near by lightning strike.

For me surge capacity is for what I call the “guest” or “family” factor who don’t understand or ignore the limits.

I don’t think anything can be prevent all lightning damage. Luckily I don’t live in FLA anymore and in AZ, lightning is much less a risk.

I wish I could find the thread(s) with the company that sells pretty much the same inverter you are looking for, it gets posted somewhat frequently.
I want to say it was electric car parts warehouse but my searches are turning up nothing. I'll share if I come across it.

I wish I could find the thread(s) with the company that sells pretty much the same inverter you are looking for, it gets posted somewhat frequently.
I want to say it was electric car parts warehouse but my searches are turning up nothing. I'll share if I come across it.
I see signeer is often said to be the same as AIMs.

I’m reluctant to buy anything from a company based off that.

IMO they look almost exactly alike, so probably from the same factory. What I don’t know and we’ll never know for sure is what “extras” like internal circuit protection or more copper in the transformer that AIMs got.

So many things look the same today, but the manufacture can do more internally than just put a different paint job and logo on the outside.

I see signeer is often said to be the same as AIMs.

I’m reluctant to buy anything from a company based off that.

IMO they look almost exactly alike, so probably from the same factory. What I don’t know and we’ll never know for sure is what “extras” like internal circuit protection or more copper in the transformer that AIMs got.

So many things look the same today, but the manufacture can do more internally than just put a different paint job and logo on the outside.
Found it.

Edit - sorry. They only have 24V available.

There is this.

If bound and determined to go with that unit then sungold has the best price on it.

Do you really think a $2200 AIMs inverter is the same thing as a $995 Sun Gold.

The Sun Gold, AIMs, and Signeer all look the same on the outside. Probably come from the same factory.

What makes you think its the same inside?

The Sun Gold, AIMs, and Signeer all look the same on the outside. Probably come from the same factory.

What makes you think its the same inside?
I've got a 4000w AIMS and a 6000W Sigineer. Except for the cabinet and an LCD status display on the Sigineer, they are almost identical inside.

The AIMS unit died after running for about 4 months, it was sent back and repaired under warranty. I'm keeping it as a backup. The Sigineer has been running constantly for almost THREE YEARS with no problems.

Fair warning: all of these types of split-phase inverters have large 60 Hz transformers inside that run very hot, even with zero load. The most important thing you can do to help them last is to put a fan on the side of the cabinet so there is constant airflow over the transformer. If you don't do that, they run hot (esp. in summer) and shut down frequently. And no, the internal fans are not enough. Newer models MIGHT be better but this is cheap insurance.

AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
Back