diy solar

diy solar

AIO ... is the EG4 12kPV pretty much like my (pre-wired) Magnum 4024?

50ShadesOfDirt

Solar Enthusiast
I ask because this model recently came out, and after 5 years or so, there's always the chance that my 4024 might stop working and will need a replacement. Not sure if an AIO will replace it, or another 4024.

My LF non-AIO 4024 (pre-wired, so it is AIO-like) manages up to 4kw of stuff thrown at it, amongst all of it's other features and limitations. Basically, it is a 4000w inverter.

When I look at the spec sheet of the aforementioned 12kPV model, it has this line:

"MAX CONT. LINE WATTAGE ... 4000W"

So, amongst all it's other features, limitations, etc., and the fact that it is an HF AIO, is that line basically telling me that this is a 4000w inverter? Not being an EE, I'm having to muddle through the docs to try to compare it with my 4024. Hope others can help here ...

Thanks!

I ask because this model recently came out, and after 5 years or so, there's always the chance that my 4024 might stop working and will need a replacement. Not sure if an AIO will replace it, or another 4024.

My LF non-AIO 4024 (pre-wired, so it is AIO-like) manages up to 4kw of stuff thrown at it, amongst all of it's other features and limitations. Basically, it is a 4000w inverter.

When I look at the spec sheet of the aforementioned 12kPV model, it has this line:

"MAX CONT. LINE WATTAGE ... 4000W"

So, amongst all it's other features, limitations, etc., and the fact that it is an HF AIO, is that line basically telling me that this is a 4000w inverter? Not being an EE, I'm having to muddle through the docs to try to compare it with my 4024. Hope others can help here ...

Thanks!
If you are contemplating moving from a Magnum in a true off grid scenario then I would be looking at a Midnite Rosie (inverter/charger). Much higher per leg surge output and proven heritage of reliability and support. Then can use your existing sccs.

You had better go watch a Will's video on it before slagging it off, all I can say is holy cow this thing can kick some arse. It can actually handle more surge than the 18K I do believe.
Ok so the 12kPV is dual 4kW
The 18kPV is dual 6kW.

The 12kPV can do more surge per leg than the 18kPV?

Will have to dig back into my 4024 (4kw) docs ... it must be providing 2kw per leg (LF) versus this AIO providing 4kw per leg (HF). I must not have ever stressed it too much in our off-grid scenario, as it seems to run everything, or we have loads luckily well-balanced.

OK, except for support issues and HF vs LF, this AIO could replace the 4024. I could handle the support issues by getting two of them, and keep the second unit mounted but off/idle and swinging wiring to it, after testing that it also works after purchasing.

EG4 is showing a 10-year warranty on this thing ... no matter how long or arduous the repair path is, the second unit would give me time to navigate the repair path on the first.

Perhaps the HF vs LF issue won't matter, as I just don't have any huge loads ...

For off grid and if you don't need the surge capability of a low frequency design then the 6000XP seems like a better fit, you are paying for a bunch of hybrid functionality in the 12 kpv and 15 kpv that you will never use.

Isn't the 4024 a 24vDC unit? If you change to the EG4 48vDC lineup you will need to rework you battery and perhaps your solar panels.

Have 12v LiTime batteries (2s2p) in my battery-bank; easy enough to switch amongst 12v/24v/48v inverters (to a degree).

Good point on the on-grid functionality in 12kPV model (vs older 6000xp) ... true about all new AIO units these days, as most things seem to be going to on-grid functionality (hardware, firmware, etc.) ... at least the 12kPV says "flip this switch (menu item) to be in off-grid mode".

Have 12v LiTime batteries (2s2p) in my battery-bank; easy enough to switch amongst 12v/24v/48v inverters (to a degree).

I would really suggest if you go to a 48vDC AIO system you also change your batteries to 48vDC rather than try to run 12vDC batteries in series. It causes so many folks issues as you can see by the recurring threads about it at the Forum here. Not knowing your present SCC specifications how you have your panels setup now may or may not need to be changed with a AIO upgrade but possibly would be good for production.

A new system will require a good plan to ensure all your components are matched for proper operation. It is not simply swapping your old 4024 to a new AIO.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with four 12V 100Ah in series again, especially when the batteries approach $150-$200 each/$600-$800 for 5.1kWh. 20 lbs easily transportable modules. With rack mount 48V 100Ah generally being closer to $1200+ and then nearly 100 pounds to deal with. But definitely put a good balancer like the litime 10A one in place to keep things tippy toppy if going in series.

Currently, my system voltage is 24v ... simple enough to have two 12v LiFePO4 batteries in series to meet 24v, AND, meets my requirements to quickly switch to something else if 24v inverter breaks down. I can reconfigure the battery-bank from 24v to 12v, and stick a 3kw 12v inverter in place, and limp by while awaiting the 24v inverter fix to happen. I seem to have never needed more than a 24v system.

Recently doubled the battery-bank to 4 x 12v300ah (2s2p), with a couple of busbars. Still 24v, but now if the 24v inverter dies, I can go 12v or 48v, by reconfiguring batteries.

More options in the toolbox ... a critical thing with other family members not at all supportive of things being down while head-scratching goes on and on.

Not as possible with rack-mount 48v batteries, as the costs keep going north, potentially leaving me in the lurch if any single 48v piece of equipment goes south.

I think the equivalent redundancy plan for 48v would have to be 2x 48v AIO's (one on standby), coupled with 2x 48v100ah rack-mount batteries; all of this adds up to lots of cost to get the redundancy. If an AIO gives grief or dies, other one is brought into play. If a battery gives grief or dies, other one lets me limp along. In both cases, weeks are probably going by while things are debugged and/or rma'd out, so IMHO the redundancy is needed for the (48v) AIO approach (and tech support offered by AIO vendors).

diy solar

diy solar
Back