diy solar

diy solar

All in one 48V System 3000 Watts

heimlich

I was going to build the Victron system and then saw a video with an EG4 3000W EHV. I thought I found the perfect solution. Then I searched on this forum and that inverter needs at least 120V from a solar array. I doubt I can get to 120V array. I might have 2 to 4 solar panels. I would also like to be able to tie in a small generator and possibly a separate alternator for charging. Is there an all-in-one system that would be suitable for this? The appeal is the low cost of the 3000W EHV of $700 vs the Victron inverter alone being over $1,000.

I've taken a different approach. I bought a diesel generator. Now what I need is a system that can charge the battery and deliver 120V and 12V. Victron is too luxurious for me.

I liked the idea of the battery communications but it looks nice it's just another luxury as well. I'm glad you mentioned MPP. They have always been on top of my list.

While there is much talk of AIOs not being up to he job, in searching for good case studies, I just do not come up with much in terms of failures. The ones I have read are worded such that I don't trust them. No argument that Victron makes solid stuff... none at all. *IF* I had unlimited funds, I would certainly consider it...

Instead of jumping all over AIOs saying how much better Victron is, and potentially how stupid an all in one user is, let us see the real case study(s) .

Has Will killed any of his during the abuse he has put them through??

I'm currently running an MPP 3048LV-MK. It would be nice to have battery coms, but... I don't find it necessary, yet. The voltage input on the pv suites my needs better than the EG4, and, it's less expensive. So far, it's been working very well with only two of my four panels installed and I'm going to even be using another one to parallel together to run 240V split phase for the minisplit that I've decided on. On its own, it's more compact than the EG4, though, the connections on the EG4 are better laid out, and you do get better communications with the EG4.

I asked MPPSolar what they suggest. Their suggestion was the LV 6048 https://maximumsolar.online/product/lv-6048/
Is there a better one from MPP Solar? I'll be plugging a generator into it to charge the batteries.
It would be nice to have a few solar panels on the side as well to plug into it.

I see you have done this with the 3048LV-MK.

I use an MPP Solar 3048LV (48v battery / 3000w inverter) with 1200w (2s2p) of solar panels for my camp trailer - https://shopsolarkits.com/products/...-145vdc-battery-charger-60a-3048lv-mk-3kw-48v

It's in year 3 of operation and about 8,000miles of travel (bumps and all) and works well. We use camp ground AC sometimes and generator (pure sine wave) AC sometimes and it has built-in UPS so that with battery priority so I can just plug in AC or not and but continues to deliver AC without interruption. You can choose the amount of power diverted to charging the batteries.

Not pushing it, but the price is not bad and it's been working A-OK for me.

Last edited:
Back