diy solar

diy solar

all in one system and panels

Need, no. Want, probably. You can use a MC4 two into one connector, but you still want to either run a 15a inline fuse on each branch or run them into a combiner box with breakers.

Need, no. Want, probably. You can use a MC4 two into one connector, but you still want to either run a 15a inline fuse on each branch or run them into a combiner box with breakers.
so if I get combiner I don't need inline fuses or do both?

You can do fuses or breakers (or both if you want). I have a Midnight Solar MPV6 combiner box with three 15a breakers. Some people recommend fuses because they are not polar (work in either direction), but I am ok with breakers only.

What are you putting this setup on? How much real estate do you have for panels? And it is this totally off grid? Tough to recommend gear without knowing the application.

You can do fuses or breakers (or both if you want). I have a Midnight Solar MPV6 combiner box with three 15a breakers. Some people recommend fuses because they are not polar (work in either direction), but I am ok with breakers only.

What are you putting this setup on? How much real estate do you have for panels? And it is this totally off grid? Tough to recommend gear without knowing the application.
it's going on a bus roof

I think I would just run inline fuses for cost, but a combiner box is nice if you have the budget. You can shut off each string if you have to work on it, and you can also test the output of each string by turning the other one off. So the panels are 65"x39". Not sure how much room you have on the roof, but I am thinking you can probably squeeze two side by side by three long. That would be about 6.5'x16.25'.

What are you trying to power?

I think I would just run inline fuses for cost, but a combiner box is nice if you have the budget. You can shut off each string if you have to work on it, and you can also test the output of each string by turning the other one off. So the panels are 65"x39". Not sure how much room you have on the roof, but I am thinking you can probably squeeze two side by side by three long. That would be about 6.5'x16.25'.

What are you trying to power?
frig a/c part time when somewhere hot led lights inside toaster oven occasionally tv/ ps4 few hrs maybe a desktop comp

Did you find out yet as to what the start up current (compressor kicks on) of the AC is yet? You do not want to get a surpise fInding out that Growatt cannot start up the AC.
Growatt spec show 6000VA surge capability but does not say for how long.

Did you find out yet as to what the start up current (compressor kicks on) of the AC is yet? You do not want to get a surpise fInding out that Growatt cannot start up the AC.
Growatt spec show 6000VA surge capability but does not say for how long.
I assume is 13.5 or 63

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-232415_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-232415_Drive.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 8
a big generator can run it but I want to use solar first unless I need a generator or shore hook up

I hope someone in this forum that has the same Growatt to chime in and tell us how well it works with their loads.
You may want to search the forum for the Growatt model you are looking at to see what some of the issues are.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing a 13k btu AC will pull 7500 watts at start up. That sounds really high unless this unit is very old. Most 12-13K AC units pull less than 3000 watts at start up.

I have a hard time believing a 13k btu AC will pull 7500 watts at start up. That sounds really high unless this unit is very old. Most 12-13K AC units pull less than 3000 watts at start up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-105558_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-105558_Chrome.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 3
That's what I am thinking as well, so in theory your Growatt should have no issues starting your AC. There should be a start up capacitor on the AC that will help as well.

I'm going to get a micro air just in case for a soft start so definitely should not but a problem

diy solar

diy solar
Back