diy solar

diy solar

"All In One" systems << Are these the exact opposite of what it reads?

Sven3xs

I was just about to order one of these "All In One" systems.. The first system had a price of $425. However after scrolling down to the alleged list of what you get, immediately there are numerous variables, links, "options" etc. Furthermore, there are strange wordings such as "can be used with this or that battery", or "this or that solar panel", etc.
Wait..What? Are these "All In One" systems or not? When talking about "All In One" systems, what in the world would talk about different batteries and different panels even mean? I mean ..what batteries and panels does this "All In One" system/kit come with? Am I to understand that this "All In One system isn't all in one?
I find this bizarre.
One of the first things I heard in the video that lead me to the page to buy these, "All IN One" systems, is the not having to buy, calculate and strip/install various wires, etc., yet one of the first things I read was how this and that wire doesn't come with it, and how some that are "available" do indeed need to be stripped and installed.so I thought, "what am I missing"?
How in the world can this not be a question asked hundreds of times, to the point that it would say so outright on that very buying page.
Surely many people, wanting to avoid the confusion of what they need, simply go to the "All In One" systems buying page, and buy said "All In One" system. Only to have the "All In One" System show up, lacking the main solar components on each end, the batteries and the actual "solar" panels.
Seems strange to this noobie..anybody?
Thanks

Last edited:
An "all-in-one" is a single device that has an inverter, charger, automatic transfer switch, and solar charge controller. That's it. No solar panels, no batteries, no wires.

Nothing strange about this. Everyone has different needs.

Thank you. I appreciate the reply.
Sadly, in asking at other places, I found several people in a couple other forums who also thought "All In One" really meant all in one, and purchased what they thought was a complete solar kit.
The saddest part for one lady on a fixed income was she only needed the panels and the battery to complete her system, but thought the deal was so good that she'd just buy the whole kit anyway, and voiced how at first she regreted not knowing of this full kit sooner (I don't know if it was this very same kit though). Only to find out after purchasing that now she basically had "the middle parts" twice, and still needed the panels and the battery, but was now tapped, and was waiting on her next check while trying to sell her first set of components.

It's till a good deal IMO..but if you're new to the terminology and don't really know what you need, and you read something that says "Beginner friendly all in one", there's no real way for a noobie to decipher that you're not getting all the necessary components.
For me, between the fact that there we so many optional links that only opened up to their own separate pages with their own separate prices, and the fact that it didn't change the main page's price for the kit, it just seemed to good to be true.

It's still more than a fair deal, I'm pretty sure I'm still going to get the same package, at least for the mobile system.. but I would have been more than just a little bummed when it got here minus both of what I call the front and back ends of the system.
Live and learn..it could have been worse. Thank you very much again for your reply.

...It's till a good deal IMO..but if you're new to the terminology and don't really know...
I thought this was spot on. I'm excited to learn and explore and understand, which means terminology, which is mostly confusing and for new people, me for sure, the more learned the more confused. Not everyone is wired to dive down the rabbit hole, many just kinda peak. Not everyone is excited about confusion and all the ah-ha moments to follow as things clear up. Seems like you dove plenty deep.

For me...,it just seemed to good to be true.
Exactly, you did due diligence. When we think we have learned, just enough,, when we haven't even come close, and try and make smart purchases, or whatever, isn't this a crapshoot? Seems like one to me. I've played craps. Heard about this class you can take where they teach you how to throw the dice. Yup. Sounds too good to be true.

If I may as I am a new member and perhaps can give some perspective. OP detailed how she (he?) bought an all in one and it was not a "here's everything you need to make a complete solar system" all in one. Me personally I would've been too embarrassed to post that but then I actually spent a good amount of time doing my own research before I ever realized this site existed. On the other hand, if you had asked me what an all in one was about three weeks ago I probably would've given you a blank stare. Is there truth to no such thing as a dumb question? You be the judge.

This stuff isn't really a "weekend warrior" project. It's electrical, and it can kill you. If you don't understand what the components do, and how they function together, more research needs to be done, or a professional needs to be hired. Most AIO units used in homes are tied to the grid, and require an inspection anyway.

No offense, but if someone buys an all-in-one, and didn't take the time to read the spec sheet before purchasing, I have no sympathy. It's like buying a new truck and complaining that it can't tow your trailer, it's not the truck's fault, it's lack of user research beforehand.

New account comes here posting a rant that makes no sense for anyone who knows anything about solar.

A mod needs to come here and delete all of this trolls ranting.
A rant? Are you OK sir?
.."that makes no sense for anyone who knows anything about solar"..
Exactly, I don't, which is why I came to this forum, specifically to "Beginners Corner", to find out what I was missing. Also why I listed "none" for my knowledge and experience when registering. Pfft, "a rant"..smh. So glad everyone else isn't like you, and I very much appreciate their input. I've learned a tremendous amount today. I hope that you do the same tomorrow. CE Cali

This stuff isn't really a "weekend warrior" project. It's electrical, and it can kill you. If you don't understand what the components do, and how they function together, more research needs to be done, or a professional needs to be hired. Most AIO units used in homes are tied to the grid, and require an inspection anyway.

No offense, but if someone buys an all-in-one, and didn't take the time to read the spec sheet before purchasing, I have no sympathy. It's like buying a new truck and complaining that it can't tow your trailer, it's not the truck's fault, it's lack of user research beforehand.
I didn't buy before researching sir. I was confused due to the labeling not matching the parts list. IMHO. However I found numerous well educated people who did make the same mistake, one being a retired electrician. Once I knew what I was actually getting for my money, I did purchase.
You'd think I didn't post in "Beginners Corner", but rather the most supercilious area of the expert section. I can only imagine if I actually had?
Blessings to you sir.

Last edited:
If I may as I am a new member and perhaps can give some perspective. OP detailed how she (he?) bought an all in one and it was not a "here's everything you need to make a complete solar system" all in one. Me personally I would've been too embarrassed to post that but then I actually spent a good amount of time doing my own research before I ever realized this site existed. On the other hand, if you had asked me what an all in one was about three weeks ago I probably would've given you a blank stare. Is there truth to no such thing as a dumb question? You be the judge.
Thank you friend. Learning was my only goal. Humanity is no longer shocking to me, yet often still disappointing. Forgiveness is key.

I've never heard/read the term "all in one system" when talking about solar PV/battery systems but I have heard/read the term "all in one inverter".

And these are quite different things.

So yes, if a novice reads something claiming to be an "all in one solar PV system", then yes I too would expect that to have all the components necessary for a fully operational system, like say a complete Bluetti power station with PV panels and cables.

But if you see "all in one inverter" then that implies something different and less than a full system.

I didn't buy before purchasing sir. I was confused due to the labeling not matching the parts list. IMHO.
Most of them have an input PV and battery voltage range on the advertising image. To me, that's like a "parts list", better even, because all you need is a battery and PV array within that spec.
However I found numerous well educated people who did make the same mistake, one being a retired electrician.
I hope you aren't using that electrician for your install, might be retired for a reason.

I work on pools and EVERY SINGLE TIME I order a part, I pull the schematics and pre-read the manual and spec sheet before I order. All it took was one time ordering the wrong part to never make that mistake again. I would be suspicious of an electrician who didn't do much research beforehand.

We are in the "Beginners Corner." This forum and thread are working perfectly, yes? Thank you WIll and team. New members in the beginner's corner, lower of infecting others, with members risking infection to set heads straight again, as if my head was ever straight. Thanks.

I understand it. It's like people who see the specs on an MPPT controller and think MaxPV * Rated Amps = Total Powah!

"It says 150v and 40a, that means I can put 6000w to my 12v batteries, right!"

The whole point of the Beginner's Corner is for the people who Don't Know to Find Out, right?

Or did I miss something there?

I hope you aren't using that electrician for your install, might be retired for a reason.
I have helped a few very competent electricians who have gotten in trouble when it comes to DC wiring. Funny how somebody who can wire entire home 200 amp or 400 amp AC systems can stumble with DC power.

I have helped a few very competent electricians who have gotten in trouble when it comes to DC wiring. Funny how somebody who can wire entire home 200 amp or 400 amp AC systems can stumble with DC power.
It is a different world, much like when I transfer from ship 220v no-ground-no-neutral power to 110v with-neutral-and-ground at home.

I understand it. It's like people who see the specs on an MPPT controller and think MaxPV * Rated Amps = Total Powah!

"It says 150v and 40a, that means I can put 6000w to my 12v batteries, right!"

The whole point of the Beginner's Corner is for the people who Don't Know to Find Out, right?

Or did I miss something there?
Thank you brother.

I've never heard/read the term "all in one system" when talking about solar PV/battery systems but I have heard/read the term "all in one inverter".

And these are quite different things.

So yes, if a novice reads something claiming to be an "all in one solar PV system", then yes I too would expect that to have all the components necessary for a fully operational system, like say a complete Bluetti power station with PV panels and cables.

But if you see "all in one inverter" then that implies something different and less than a full system.
Most of them have an input PV and battery voltage range on the advertising image. To me, that's like a "parts list", better even, because all you need is a battery and PV array within that spec.

I work on pools and EVERY SINGLE TIME I order a part, I pull the schematics and pre-read the manual and spec sheet before I order. All it took was one time ordering the wrong part to never make that mistake again. I would be suspicious of an electrician who didn't do much research beforehand.

Since I still had all my research tabs open, I just went back and retrieved a handful of various phrases I encountered, starting here.
If you wish to believe no one has the right to believe that these phrases implied what they actually say, you certainly can, that's your prerogative. Call me and MANY others total idiots. I've been called worse.
Love and blessings to you and yours sir.

"All-In-One Solar System-Build a full size system in minutes" - AND - "complete off grid system in a box" - AND - "All In One Package" - AND - complete off-grid solar system package - AND - Complete Solar Power Systems - AND - All-In-One Off-Grid Solar Kit - AND - "ALL-IN-ONE" HOME SOLAR SYSTEM - AND - all-in-one off-grid solar energy system - AND - Off Grid All-In-One — Plug and Play Solar - AND - Cheaper than buying the individual parts and putting them together yourself.

Again, I went from knowing nothing to knowing pretty much what I needed to know to order what I needed in a couple hours, thanks to the appreciated, understanding people that helped me instead of criticizing me for not knowing, and having the audacity to ask in the midst of my frustration and confusion. Many MANY thanks again to those caring and understanding people. Thank you folks so much. Salt of the earth.

Last edited:
I was referring specifically to them not doing any research prior to purchasing the product.

I never fault anybody for not knowing something, especially when they ask for help. IMHO, seeing a professional ask for help is a sign of competence; it says "I know enough about what I'm doing to know when I don't know what I'm doing anymore". What DOESN'T scream competence to me is a lack of research.

Back to OP; if you have specific questions feel free to ask, but I didn't see any questions in your post, so I don't really know what kind of feedback you expected. I apologize if you interpreted my posts as attacking or offensive, that wasn't the intention.

I was referring specifically to them not doing any research prior to purchasing the product.

I never fault anybody for not knowing something, especially when they ask for help. IMHO, seeing a professional ask for help is a sign of competence; it says "I know enough about what I'm doing to know when I don't know what I'm doing anymore". What DOESN'T scream competence to me is a lack of research.

Back to OP; if you have specific questions feel free to ask, but I didn't see any questions in your post, so I don't really know what kind of feedback you expected. I apologize if you interpreted my posts as attacking or offensive, that wasn't the intention.
I was doing research sir. That's why I was here. Further I was in my first hour. An hour later and I ordered because I had all I needed at that point to make my decesion as to what to order.

Another thing.. I was going to let this go, but frankly, forgive me but I'm just not that mature, to be perfectly honest.
Technical competence had nothing whatsoever to do with any of my confusion. I wired my own house, my cabin, and many others, as well as many commercial and industrial components, including 162 of Bonus of Denmark's "Bonus II" Windmills on California's Altamont Pass. As well as some of the largest machinery in the largest open pit mine in the Northern Hemisphere, Carlin/Elko Nevada's Newport Mine, as well as the now come and gone Jamestown Mine in California and Ely Nevada's Aligator Ridge Mine, the Winnemucca Mine, Battle Mountain Mine, and many others, as well as many of the components, including the MCC, in the 1988/1989 Addition to The China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station's, Navy Area 1 Geothermal, where I held Red Tag status. I could go on, but I'm not here to brag, very much to the contrary, that's why I hadn't mentioned it.
Also, I don't know if you were the one who mentioned the pool, but I own a pool restoration company, and though not at all within our normal purview, by request I have repaired and installed many a pool component, including two Centurion Pro Pumps and controls just recently, as well as 2 more of our own that we use to pump up the media we use to remove calcium scale from tile, coping, old boards and slides, etc., etc.

Electrical fundamentals was not the area I lacked in. I was only confused about what actually came in the solar package, as it compared to what the labeling and various related nomenclature seemed to imply - Nothing whatsoever to do with how any component operated, or how it was installed..simply what was meant in the ad concerning the totality of the term, "All In One", that's it. That's what I wanted to know from folks who were already acclimated to the terminology.

My main sin was I was in a hurry, frustrated, and probably could have articulated my concerns with a more mature and proper word choice, and for that I do apologize.

In closing, while I was indeed a bit shocked at a couple of the responses, I hold no grudges, and hold absolutely zero ill feelings against anyone whatsoever. With my long experience dealing with the public in general, as well as inspectors that hold my day (and more) in their hand, I'll consider the entire thing to be at least equally my fault, and wish only blessings and the very best for everyone.
Nothin' but love.

Absolutely. It's false advertising, is what it is. How can it be an all-in-one if it doesn't even have a kettle?
Does it make coffee? No? It's not an all-in-one.

Much better product labelling is the "solar generator" - which does not generate anything, but then it... sounds cool... which the "original" all-in one (music) systems didn't, mostly - and they didn't make coffee either.

And be wary of buying a battery online, you might be charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, or have multiple howitzers delivered... ;)
-

Back