diy solar

diy solar

All in one vs Inverter/MPPT

Joes_Going_Solar

So, I am planning an off grid solar system and I want to get some experience from others who have been there done that.

I was looking at the all in one Growatt 12kw split phase inverter, this should give me decent power for what I need to run and has a decent price point. My questions are for people that have all in one’s vs multiple piece systems. It seems like the pros to all in one’s are also the cons. If anything fails in the inverter, I am left with nothing. Sure, it’s a simple to build system with many less parts and a cheaper price tag but is that where the pros end? Should I go with 2 120V all in one that can be setup for split phase (like the 6500’s), at least in this setup there is some redundancy. I have also been looking at Victron gear and while it has a much heavier price tag is it worth the extra cost, is it that much more efficient? With Victron I could go with 2 inverter/chargers (for split phase) and 2 MPPT charge controllers, adding even more system redundancy. Thoughts?

Should I go with 2 120V all in one that can be setup for split phase (like the 6500’s), at least in this setup there is some redundancy.
This is always smart IMO. Redundancy is key.
I have also been looking at Victron gear and while it has a much heavier price tag is it worth the extra cost, is it that much more efficient?
Victron is known to be top tier, and if you read the spec sheets/manual, you can compare The Growatt 12k, the 6500's, and any Victron inverter and determine if the quality and efficiency is worth it to you. I can't tell you if 1% better efficiency is better for you or not. Only you can decide that.
With Victron I could go with 2 inverter/chargers (for split phase) and 2 MPPT charge controllers, adding even more system redundancy. Thoughts?
Just more cost. How much are you willing to spend?

At the end of the day, there is no right answer. Its going to be up to you to determine what you want. In my case, I went with a highly reputable AIO (SolArk 12k), and don't currently have a backup system, but do plan to add one in the future.

Back