diy solar

diy solar

All in one inverter vs separate charge controller?

D. Abineri

With an all in one inverter one can choose the charging source (solar,utility) and set it to change at certain times.

With a stand alone charge controller it looks like charging can only use solar as a source.

Is this correct? Or ar there variations on this idea?

With an all in one inverter one can choose the charging source (solar,utility) and set it to change at certain times.

With a stand alone charge controller it looks like charging can only use solar as a source.

Is this correct? Or ar there variations on this idea?
Yes, a stand alone SCC (Solar Charge Controller) only uses solar.
An AIO has both SCC and an AC charger.
There are some inverter/chargers that include an AC charger.

Generally, a "charge controller" as a stand alone MPPT solar controller that converts to charging levels for a battery. If you want to charge from the grid (or generator), you need an inverter to convert AC to DC. "Hybrid" inverters do that. All-in-one combine the charge controller and hybrid inverter into one package.

To avoid confusion.
"Hybrid" , is the blending of off grid and grid-tied (export to the grid) .
AIO's, come in both off grid and Hybrid versions.

I went with standalone components. I have separate SCC, inverter and charger. I can control the charger with a simple smart plug to charge when electricity is under a certain rate. I prefer the complete control I have over the system rather than relying on settings on an AiO that may or may not integrate well into my Home Assistant setup.

An example of a separate SCC(Solar Charge Controller) system would be a Victron system. You pick the SCC, and the inverter/charger you want to make the system work the way you want.

An example of an AIO is a Sol-Arc or EG4.

There are pros and cons both ways. Typically AIO are cheaper.

Some people if their AIO is maxed out with solar and they want more solar they will just add a SCC and have it just charge the battery.

An example of a separate SCC(Solar Charge Controller) system would be a Victron system. You pick the SCC, and the inverter/charger you want to make the system work the way you want.

An example of an AIO is a Sol-Arc or EG4.

There are pros and cons both ways. Typically AIO are cheaper.

Some people if their AIO is maxed out with solar and they want more solar they will just add a SCC and have it just charge the battery.
Rocketman, Can you recommend a reliable, supported AIO inverter? Thanks

One advantage of the AIO units is the ability to control it with Solar Assistant. You can set up a schedule that takes in to account both the time of day and SOC and have the unit select off grid or bypass mode. I believe the latest beta release has expanded functionality to create macro type command sets. There are a few guys around who can likely elaborate on the newer features better than I can. @42OhmsPA or @Adam De Lay

One advantage of the AIO units is the ability to control it with Solar Assistant. You can set up a schedule that takes in to account both the time of day and SOC and have the unit select off grid or bypass mode. I believe the latest beta release has expanded functionality to create macro type command sets. There are a few guys around who can likely elaborate on the newer features better than I can. @42OhmsPA or @Adam De Lay
Thanks, Brett, sounds like a good option.

Thanks, Brett, sounds like a good option.

Rocketman, Can you recommend a reliable, supported AIO inverter? Thanks
Really need to know what you want if you're grid tied. They all won't schedule grid drops, battery charging to sell at peak hours the same way. Also, there will be a big difference in pushing certain models to or past there ratings. Tier 1 will get you more but you will pay.

If those things are important, need to research your model. Some models may not be UL listed.

Why might this be considered inefficient?

Really need to know what you want if you're grid tied. They all won't schedule grid drops, battery charging to sell at peak hours the same way. Also, there will be a big difference in pushing certain models to or past there ratings. Tier 1 will get you more but you will pay.

If those things are important, need to research your model. Some models may not be UL listed.
Looking for split phase to level II charge my ev as well as low demand rooms in the house. Grid tied but not planning to feed back to the grid.

If no desire to export to the grid.
An off grid AIO is the option for you.
It can still power your loads and charge from the grid. Because it includes a transfer switch.

If I were you, I would look at the EG4 6000xp.
It will do everything you want. And it's stackable, up to 16 units. So, you can start small and expand later.

There is lots of 'automation' and rules you can set in the latest betas, I've only messed with a little bit of it.

Just make sure the inverter / AIO is compatible with Solar Assistant.

I can't say that I can elaborate more on the beta functionality of Solar Assistant because I don't have any inverters compatible with SA anymore. What Solar Assistant does though is it uses the native communication protocols of hardware (inverters/batteries and at least 1 shunt) and allows you to control it through a better interface. It also expands on the ability and allows you to bring commands into a centralized system (Home Assistant) to control not just your solar equipment, but other devices though your home.

Looking for split phase to level II charge my ev as well as low demand rooms in the house. Grid tied but not planning to feed back to the grid.
Victron may be able to do that, but you can’t feed to the grid.

I was thinking of a level 2 charger with a 10 kWh battery pack, 3 kw of panels using 2 x Victron Multiplus II for split phase and a Victron 250/100 MPPT.

Back