diy solar

diy solar

Alternator Current

AndyRonLI

Solar Enthusiast
So I see that folks are putting shunts on their vehicles and installing meters. How do you best install these to monitor alternator output? Can you? I plan on upgrading my tow vehicle wiring next spring and going to a 40 amp boost buck. I'd like to be able to tell when I am really feeding power back to my trailer.
Ideally I would like to know two things. Alternator amperage out, and amperage to trailer. Is that possible?
Thanks
Andy

Or instead of a shunt you could do a simple amp-clamp gauge so you don't have to cut existing wires? Put one on the alternator lead, and one on the trailer feed wire.

EXAMPLE:
(there could be better solutions available, this is only example to get the idea)

I thought those clamp ons were AC only

Oh I don't know, I just assumed you must be able to get dash gauge via clamp application in AC or DC, because, for example, I have a Klein Tools CL380 diagnostic clamp tool and it can read AC or DC amps using the inductive clamp probe on it.

I honestly didn't check on it specifically for this case (on a dash gauge application). I guess maybe we could look and see if they make standalone clamp-style dash gauges for DC.

You could use a shunt no problem I suppose, just have to cut the wire is all (I'm not a huge fan of cutting the factory vehicle wires if I can avoid it, unless I can do it cleanly and make it professional, factory-like, keep it weather-tight, etc).

In the old days they used to just sell simple amp-meters for cars, that you could install in a circuit, and you'd cut the wire and put it in between, and the needle would sit in the middle if there was no current flow, and read positive or negative amps value depending on which way the current was flowing. They probably just had a small shunt mounted inside them.

It seems like someone would make a DC clamp solution though, I'd have to Google it some more.

Last edited:
If I had my system setup to accept the charge from the tow vehicle, that charge should show up on the shunt. You can certainly add a monitor on just the alternator circuit, but the shunt will cover that. It may also be the case that you are going to install a DC-DC charger and that would provide a current output result if you want an isolated value.

So I have a shunt on the trailer batteries, but can't monitor the shunt from the tow vehicle, and when I add solar that would complicate it.
Ideally I would like to see what my alternator is putting out to the tow vehicle and trailer, and then what is actually going to the trailer.
That should let me see any wonkiness prior to something bad happening. I will look at those DC clamp ons. No wire cutting. They may fry under the hood but for 20 bucks I'll look perform the experiment

I currently am using a renogy 20amp dc/dc limited to 10 amp output.
When I upgrade wiring and go to a 40 amp dc/dc I want to really know what that alternator draw is.
Thanks everyone, this gives me some stuff to do

So the voltage measurement on some of those is clearly AC
But the amp only ones may be useful
Andy

Back