diy solar

diy solar

Amorphous panel and mount recommendation

thepartyhound

Christian Prepper
I'm looking for recommendations of a panel or two for the top of my truck camper. I currently have 2 x 100Ah SOK batteries and a 12/3k Victron Multiplus. I have been charging the batteries using either shore power or a generator, which has actually worked very well as it only needs done a couple times a week at worst case. It would be nice to extend this somewhat, or maybe even eliminate it. I'm thinking if I could get 100w up there I'd be pretty set, 200w even better! I would like to use a mount(s) that can be attached with VHB tape. I'd like to be able to flat mount these so from a little bit of digging I've done it seems that Amorphous panels work the best in this application. I'd like specific recommendations for panels and mounts. I plan to use a small (75v/15A or maybe the 100v/30A) Victron SCC...may as well keep that beautiful blue theme going, right?! TIA for your time!

Last edited:
The best way to mount amorphous panels is in the trash. Use regular panels, the largest you can fit, and some aluminum channel track with VHB tape and call it a day. That track fits the heads of 1/4-20 bolts just fine so you can use regular panel mount brackets and the combo gives you plenty of air space to prevent overheating without being obnoxiously tall.

20240223_113548.jpg

Are these the regular panel mount brackets you were talking about? I'm honestly not sure what is meant by "regular panel mount bracket". I've never mounted a panel in my life! Thank you for the response!

I thought amorphous panels were best for flat mounting as they produce more power without being at a right angle to the sun. I'm up north, so sun angles aren't great even in summer.

The best way to mount amorphous panels is in the trash. Use regular panels, the largest you can fit, and some aluminum channel track with VHB tape and call it a day. That track fits the heads of 1/4-20 bolts just fine so you can use regular panel mount brackets and the combo gives you plenty of air space to prevent overheating without being obnoxiously tall.

View attachment 199463
You trying to reflect the heat away from the trailer roof?

Your link isn't working for me, but here's a generic set of what I'm referring to.

Screenshot_20240302-155517_Chrome.jpg

Amorphous panels don't get hot becaise they don't do squat. I ran numerous sets for years learning, back before Poly panels were arount $3-4 a watt and the good quality 25w monocrystaline panels were $100 on sale. In all the years I ran amorphous panels the best I ever saw in perfect direct sun in summer was 30% of rating.

On my camper I put 200w bifacial panels on the roof because they were on sale for cheaper than regular 200w panels. Since I wasn't going to have a lot of space, I added the reflective film just to try to squeeze a little more out of them.

Your link isn't working for me, but here's a generic set of what I'm referring to.

View attachment 199593

Amorphous panels don't get hot becaise they don't do squat. I ran numerous sets for years learning, back before Poly panels were arount $3-4 a watt and the good quality 25w monocrystaline panels were $100 on sale. In all the years I ran amorphous panels the best I ever saw in perfect direct sun in summer was 30% of rating.

On my camper I put 200w bifacial panels on the roof because they were on sale for cheaper than regular 200w panels. Since I wasn't going to have a lot of space, I added the reflective film just to try to squeeze a little more out of them
That's funny as that was my first thought that I discounted.

I would appreciate it! I'm sure once I had everything on hand it would make sense, but honestly, I'm kinda scratching my head here a bit just looking at them!

Awesome, thank you for the visuals. I'm still just a bit confused though. From your pics it almost looks like it is just sitting on the top of that bracket without anything clamping it down. Is there something screwed into the panel from the underside?

Yes, there's a bolt going through the bracket and into the mounting holes built into the panel's frame. Pretty much every panel built has those holes in the frame so no need to drill anything yourself.

Yes, there's a bolt going through the bracket and into the mounting holes built into the panel's frame. Pretty much every panel built has those holes in the frame so no need to drill anything yourself.
Ahhh, ok! Now it makes sense! Thank you!

Back