diy solar

diy solar

Anker 767 solar input confusion

bb22

New to the game and having trouble wrapping my arms around the Anker 767 solar input charging specs. They state 11-32V=10A ; 32-60V=20A. I'm trying to size a solar array within specific space limitations. Considering 4 100w 12V panels in a 2s2p configuration. Below are the numbers from the panels. Am I correct in assuming that the 2s2p configuration will provide 42.8 input volts and allow 20A charging input? Would sourcing panels with a higher Voc improve the charging efficiencies of the 767? Is the input voltage directly related to the level of solar power available? Any help would be much appreciated.
Maximum Power (W) 100±3% W
Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V) 21.4±3% V
Max Power Voltage Vmp (V) 18.15±3% V
Max Power Current Imp (A) 5.51±3% A
Short Circuit Current Isc (A) 6.11±3%
Solar Cells Efficiency 21.9%

The Anker has input current limit which means it will not draw more than 10A for 11- 32V, or 20A for 32 -60V source even if the power source can supply higher current, the Anker just will not draw more than it is designed to.
For your setup of 2s2p, the Vmp = 18.15V x 2 = 36.3Vmp, the Imp will be 5.51A x 2 = 11.02A so about 400W of power. Voc = 21.4V x 2 = 42.8Voc
If the Vmp drop down below 32V then the Anker will draw up to 10A only.
Vmp x Imp = panel Wattage rating. I.E. 18.15Vmp x 5.51Imp = 100W
The Voc should not be higher than the max PV input Voltage (60V per spec from Anker) rating of the Anker otherwise the damage will Anker.
Panel does not push current, the Anker (Load) draws current it needs from the panel.

Last edited:
what is the Max voltage on the 767 if it’s the 60 volts then you need a pair of larger watt panels to get the 1000 watt limit, running parallel something in the 450 watt range with a voltage under the 60 limit with safety factor for low temperature output increases

Thank you for the explanation Bud, very helpful.
Rodrick, yes 767 is max 60v. Would a residential type panel work to acheive the wattage or are they not recommended for mobile applications?

Thank you for the explanation Bud, very helpful.
Rodrick, yes 767 is max 60v. Would a residential type panel work to acheive the wattage or are they not recommended for mobile applications?
The biggest problem is size and weight not the most convenient for mobile systems but with a 60 volt limit 2 large panels parallel is probably your best option, the smaller “mobile” panels don’t have the the ability to get the power you will want without getting very complicated and more costly

so I would go with 2 larger panels if it was mine just to keep it simple

I'm adding to this thread instead of starting a new one, so forgive me if this highjacking of the thread is out of line. I also have an Anker 767, and purchased ten 100watt Renology (I think that is the correct spelling) solar panels and five 10 foot long cables that have the standard connectors at one end for the solar panel connection, and have an XT60 connector at the opposite end. I intend to connect the panels in a 2s by 5P configuration, so I don't go over the maximum voltage of 60 volts input. My question is what is the maximum extension cable I can purchase or fabricate using XT60 connectors at each end, to connect from the Anker provided 5 to 1 XT60 adapter, and the Anker 767 solar input port? Can I use larger than 12 guage wire with XT60 connectors, to avoid voltage drop and heat from running close to 1000 watts through this one extension cable to the Anker 767? I've read conflicting specs for the XT60 connector, one said it was good for only 30 amps continuous load, while another said it was good for 60 amps continuous, and up to 180 peak temporary load. I'd like an extension cable that could go 35 to 50 feet in length, plus considering the 10 foot long separate cables that are going from the adapter to each pair of solar panels. I can research further myself, but would like confirmation from others on what wire size I need, and if the XT60 connectors are adequate for the 850 to 950 watts of solar power I'm trying to charge with.

you are not going to be happy but what you are doing isn’t going to work well you are going to need a combiner box and number 4 gage wire with that setup to get it to work to keep loss at 2% at 25 amps

I'm adding to this thread instead of starting a new one, so forgive me if this highjacking of the thread is out of line. I also have an Anker 767, and purchased ten 100watt Renology (I think that is the correct spelling) solar panels and five 10 foot long cables that have the standard connectors at one end for the solar panel connection, and have an XT60 connector at the opposite end. I intend to connect the panels in a 2s by 5P configuration, so I don't go over the maximum voltage of 60 volts input. My question is what is the maximum extension cable I can purchase or fabricate using XT60 connectors at each end, to connect from the Anker provided 5 to 1 XT60 adapter, and the Anker 767 solar input port? Can I use larger than 12 guage wire with XT60 connectors, to avoid voltage drop and heat from running close to 1000 watts through this one extension cable to the Anker 767? I've read conflicting specs for the XT60 connector, one said it was good for only 30 amps continuous load, while another said it was good for 60 amps continuous, and up to 180 peak temporary load. I'd like an extension cable that could go 35 to 50 feet in length, plus considering the 10 foot long separate cables that are going from the adapter to each pair of solar panels. I can research further myself, but would like confirmation from others on what wire size I need, and if the XT60 connectors are adequate for the 850 to 950 watts of solar power I'm trying to charge with.

The Anker will only draw 20 amps.

I may be pushing things a bit here. We have a 767. For solar charging I want to put two Longi 545w panels in parallel, 1090w. The amps will be over the 20 A limit at almost 28 amps, but as the Anker will only draw 20 max, that seems okay. The VOC is 49.65. The cost for the 2 panels is $754 Canadian, plus $55 for the mc4 to xt60 adapter. One Anker 200w panel here is $750, plus shipping. I think the only concern may be when the temperature drops below -25 Celsius and the VOC goes up. I am thinking in that case I will unplug the solar and charge with a generator until it warms up. Is my thinking correct? Is this too much?

Back