diy solar

diy solar

Anker Powerhouse 767 Solar input Challenge!

Since you already have a Anker 200 watt panel, I would just add a second panel and call it done. Your emergency use scenerio with a generator available will make recharging easy and the portable panels won't take up much space. I'm not sure what your budget is or how your budget vs convienience scale weighs. Anker is pretty good about giving discounts. I bet if you called and ordered the expansion battery and another panel, they would give you a good discount. (especially if you are still within your return period). I'm also of the opinion that the expansion battery would be more important to you than the extra solar panel.

If you're gonna do a rigid panel setup, just borrow a truck and go to Greentech and buy the 2 Qcells. It's gonna be really tough to beat that setup without spending nearly double the money. The Renogy panels are nice but overpriced. Don't forget used panels. Facebook marketplace and craigslist usually have some good deals on panels.

Yes, you can mix and match different panels but you have to be careful in your selection. The Anker panels will not play nice with most other panels because of their low amperage/ high voltage. Several good videos on youtube explaining mixing panels.

Another great way to recharge your Anker is with your car. You can simply use the 12v plug or buy a cheap 12 to 36 volt step up converter and charge wayyyy faster. Jasonoid did a great video on this on youtube that's worth watching.

If you haven't already done it, you need to be doing run down tests on your fridge and freezer to make sure the Anker will power them easily overnight.

Watchdoc,

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it. Sticking with Anker panels sounds like it might be a good idea. If I can apply a discount I'll consider adding more of their panels and expansion battery. Nearly 600$ for a single 200watt panel seems quite steep considering that 900watts for under $800 is achievable. Even when considering the portability factor, it seems a bit overpriced. Lots of factors to consider. Thanks again!

Those are good points. If going with smaller and more mobile panels, like a few 200watt ones, I'd like to be able to buy some rigid panels that would play nicely with the 200watt Anker panel. Do you happen to know if there would be any major issues using 2-3 of these same 200watt panels in conjunction with the Anker solar panels, or any other options that could be used together?

Here's the 200watt ones from Renogy: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...ouse-Cabin-Sheds-Rooftop-RSP200D-G1/314332390

They have a VOC of 21.6v.

Here are the spec sheets for the Renogy (Top) and the Anker (Bottom) panels:

View attachment 154100

View attachment 154101
From the PV parameters you have provided, this product is not suitable for use with our 200W product

Hi Watchdog, thanks for sharing the invaluable info. I'm very new to power station and solar charging. I got Anker 767 bundle with two 531 solar panels (200w) for 1 month. They are only drawing 280-300w total in noon time.. I'm thinking to add two more flexible panels description below, connect them in series using a MC4 to XT60 cable and then plug them to Anker 767; and connect the two 531 solar panels to Anker 767. Do you think this setting will work?

Topsolar Flexible Solar Panel 360W 24V/12V Monocrystalline Bendable - 2 * 180 Watt 12Volt
  • Maximum Power at STC*: 180 Watt
  • Maximum Power Current (lmpp): 8.37A
  • Maximum Power Voltage (Vmpp): 21.5V
  • Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 25.6V
  • Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 8.87A
Thanks in advance!

Hi Watchdog, thanks for sharing the invaluable info. I'm very new to power station and solar charging. I got Anker 767 bundle with two 531 solar panels (200w) for 1 month. They are only drawing 280-300w total in noon time.. I'm thinking to add two more flexible panels description below, connect them in series using a MC4 to XT60 cable and then plug them to Anker 767; and connect the two 531 solar panels to Anker 767. Do you think this setting will work?

Topsolar Flexible Solar Panel 360W 24V/12V Monocrystalline Bendable - 2 * 180 Watt 12Volt
  • Maximum Power at STC*: 180 Watt
  • Maximum Power Current (lmpp): 8.37A
  • Maximum Power Voltage (Vmpp): 21.5V
  • Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 25.6V
  • Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 8.87A
Thanks in advance!

No, the mismatch in amps will reduce your incoming amps to whatever the lowest panel is for the string. Several good youtube videos that go over the basics of using mismatched panels. Is there are reason why you want to use expensive portable panels? A couple cheap residential panels would work better and cost less.

Last edited:
So I'm starting this thread for everyone doubting the capabilities of the Anker 767 and it's solar input. My current solar input record is 918 watts with 2 Qcell 480 watt bifacial panels wired in parallel (53.39VOC, 11.12ISC). 2 of these panels cost $576 which is only $27 more than 1 of Anker's 531 200 watt portable panels.

There are soooooooo many YouTube reviews of this unit without posting actual solar input results so I thought this might be helpful to people.

One of the reasons I did this is because it's fairly easy to overpanel and max out the 900 watt solar input of the Bluetti AC200MAX with only 3 350-400 watt panels wired in series but the Anker 767 is more restrictive with the 60V@20amp 1000watt limit. This was the best and least expensive setup I could come up with. I feel confident I can achieve the 1000 watt input limit with some additional albedo and the springtime sun.

Check out the YouTube video I did along with this and post your solar inputs and setups!

Found your post on the tube when I realized my Anker was going to show up without me knowing how or if I could connect my current solar array to it. Love your content thank you.
From reading the comments I think I am okay; 4 x 195w panels, wired 2S 2P for 780w, 40.4 volts, at 19.3 amps, assuming I can just plug that in directly to the unit w/o their adapter. Anker said it was fine over the phone, but was not aware of the actual feeding so we will see.

The European spec for the 767 shows 2200W AC charge capacity, presumably to allow for charging from standard 220v EU wall outlets.

Can anyone confirm if the EU version has different hardware? If not, one could pass 2200W of solar to an inverter and wire that into the AC input.

Someone please tell me why this wouldn’t work… or I may try it. Doubling the solar capacity on this unit would make it a dream for my build.

Found your post on the tube when I realized my Anker was going to show up without me knowing how or if I could connect my current solar array to it. Love your content thank you.
From reading the comments I think I am okay; 4 x 195w panels, wired 2S 2P for 780w, 40.4 volts, at 19.3 amps, assuming I can just plug that in directly to the unit w/o their adapter. Anker said it was fine over the phone, but was not aware of the actual feeding so we will see.
You will need an MC4 to XT60 adapter. My 767 came with a XT60 parallel adapter but not a MC4 adapter. Make sure you get one that is 10awg. They are available on ebay and amazon.

You will need an MC4 to XT60 adapter. My 767 came with a XT60 parallel adapter but not a MC4 adapter. Make sure you get one that is 10awg. They are available on ebay and amazon.
Thank you, as long as my Palm Trees let me stay within 30' was going to stick with 10, otherwise go to 8

Hi all, new to the forums but have been lurking for a few months. I don't have the Anker 767, but instead am on the Anker Solix F3800 kickstarter, the units are shipping and I expect to get mine within the next two weeks. Like the 767, the F3800 has XT-60 solar inputs with max voltage of 60V, just with slightly higher amp limit (25A for F3800 vs 20A for 767) on each of the two XT-60 inputs.

I know the Anker solar inputs just cut off the current at the 25A limit, if the panels can generate above that. My question is will the MPPT tracking optimize for max power with the 25A limit in mind, by raising the voltage higher than Vmp if that generates more power? For example, if 3 panels in parallel have a Voc of 45V, Vmp of 40V and Imp of 30A (3x10A), the max power could be Vmp x Imp = 40V x 30A = 1200W, but will the F3800 inverter will cut off to Vmp x 25A = 40 x 25 = 1000W? Or will MPPT track something above Vmp, say the power curve crosses 42V x 25A = 1050W, which would be higher output than running at Vmp?

Hi all, new to the forums but have been lurking for a few months. I don't have the Anker 767, but instead am on the Anker Solix F3800 kickstarter, the units are shipping and I expect to get mine within the next two weeks. Like the 767, the F3800 has XT-60 solar inputs with max voltage of 60V, just with slightly higher amp limit (25A for F3800 vs 20A for 767) on each of the two XT-60 inputs.

I know the Anker solar inputs just cut off the current at the 25A limit, if the panels can generate above that. My question is will the MPPT tracking optimize for max power with the 25A limit in mind, by raising the voltage higher than Vmp if that generates more power? For example, if 3 panels in parallel have a Voc of 45V, Vmp of 40V and Imp of 30A (3x10A), the max power could be Vmp x Imp = 40V x 30A = 1200W, but will the F3800 inverter will cut off to Vmp x 25A = 40 x 25 = 1000W? Or will MPPT track something above Vmp, say the power curve crosses 42V x 25A = 1050W, which would be higher output than running at Vmp?

You're on the right track by exceeding the 25amp limit but I would try to find panels in the upper 40s to low 50s (like the Qcells).

You're on the right track by exceeding the 25amp limit but I would try to find panels in the upper 40s to low 50s (like the Qcells).

Thank you, I do appreciate your starting this thread - I agree the newer panels in the 400-550W range are indeed much more ideal in terms of voltage and current for these XT-60 inputs, and have the best efficiency. There are just much, much greater logistical DIY challenges for me with the larger size and weight of these newer panels, that I'm willing to pay even slightly higher $/watt for smaller used panels, esp 60-72 cell form factors (around 35-40 lbs each).

But regarding my question about the current limits and MPPT - you mentioned in an earlier post you saw 20.5A sustained at times, so you were hitting the 20A current limit of the 767 input. Did you happen to observe operating voltage (or indirectly via the wattage) at that time, vs what the typical Vmp is when you're below 20A? Again just for design purposes, trying to understand if the MPPT tracking will raise voltage when you hit the current limit to squeeze the most power possible from the panels...

Thank you, I do appreciate your starting this thread - I agree the newer panels in the 400-550W range are indeed much more ideal in terms of voltage and current for these XT-60 inputs, and have the best efficiency. There are just much, much greater logistical DIY challenges for me with the larger size and weight of these newer panels, that I'm willing to pay even slightly higher $/watt for smaller used panels, esp 60-72 cell form factors (around 35-40 lbs each).

But regarding my question about the current limits and MPPT - you mentioned in an earlier post you saw 20.5A sustained at times, so you were hitting the 20A current limit of the 767 input. Did you happen to observe operating voltage (or indirectly via the wattage) at that time, vs what the typical Vmp is when you're below 20A? Again just for design purposes, trying to understand if the MPPT tracking will raise voltage when you hit the current limit to squeeze the most power possible from the panels...

As I'm sure you are aware, the 60v VOC is a hard limit that you don't want to exceed even in cold weather. I did not take voltage readings except at the very beginning to ensure I wasn't exceeding 60v. Operating voltage is dependant on temps and cables so I just look at wattage and amperage. Are you trying to build a semi portable system or sticking with a fix system? I would agree the large 72 cell panels are too big to move on a regular basis but if you are trying to max out your F3800 with portable panels, it's gonna be a expensive PIA. Maybe explain your goals a little more.

As I'm sure you are aware, the 60v VOC is a hard limit that you don't want to exceed even in cold weather. I did not take voltage readings except at the very beginning to ensure I wasn't exceeding 60v. Operating voltage is dependant on temps and cables so I just look at wattage and amperage. Are you trying to build a semi portable system or sticking with a fix system? I would agree the large 72 cell panels are too big to move on a regular basis but if you are trying to max out your F3800 with portable panels, it's gonna be a expensive PIA. Maybe explain your goals a little more.

I already have a 10-year old 4kw grid-tie Enphase system that covers 60% of my annual usage; adding more grid-tie solar is prohibitive now due to new NEM3 rules. I bought into the Solix F3800 primarily for home backup power first and foremost, but aside from a dozen power outages a year, I figured I would put the unit to work the rest of the year with off-grid solar. I have some 24x7 DC loads (modem, router, DC aquarium pumps), that I could move off-grid (most efficiently without powering the F3800 inverter, and then could look at taking some AC load off-grid as well.

Basically each F3800 XT-60 input is limited to 60V and 25A, and 1200W, basically 2 or 3 panels per input. Can't really run in series, only in parallel, so will be well under the 60V limit, more like 30-45 Voc, therefore not hitting the 1200W limit, but 3 parallel panels could hit the 25A limit. Since I'm buying only 4-6 panels for 2 XT-60 inputs, can't budget remote freight shipping, have to source locally, The 400+ watt panels are just too large for several reasons, but basically the 60-66 cell panels of 5-10 years back will just about fit length and width-wise in my car with the backseat folded flat; bigger panels will not fit in either dimension.

So if I look at those typically 200-300W used panels, their Vmp and Imp vary somewhat, but say one 260W panel has a 30.7 Vmp, and 8.5A Imp, three panels in parallel could max out the 25A limit. Another 300W panel might have a lower 30 Vmp, and higher 10A Imp - but since 25A limits it to 8.3A per panel, it's only better than the 260W panel if the MPPT tracking adjusts to a voltage closer to the Voc (typically 35-40V). So that's why I'm asking if max power is limited to Vmp x 8.33A (8.33 x 3 = 25), or whether max power would be at voltage higher than Vmp.

I already have a 10-year old 4kw grid-tie Enphase system that covers 60% of my annual usage; adding more grid-tie solar is prohibitive now due to new NEM3 rules. I bought into the Solix F3800 primarily for home backup power first and foremost, but aside from a dozen power outages a year, I figured I would put the unit to work the rest of the year with off-grid solar. I have some 24x7 DC loads (modem, router, DC aquarium pumps), that I could move off-grid (most efficiently without powering the F3800 inverter, and then could look at taking some AC load off-grid as well.

Basically each F3800 XT-60 input is limited to 60V and 25A, and 1200W, basically 2 or 3 panels per input. Can't really run in series, only in parallel, so will be well under the 60V limit, more like 30-45 Voc, therefore not hitting the 1200W limit, but 3 parallel panels could hit the 25A limit. Since I'm buying only 4-6 panels for 2 XT-60 inputs, can't budget remote freight shipping, have to source locally, The 400+ watt panels are just too large for several reasons, but basically the 60-66 cell panels of 5-10 years back will just about fit length and width-wise in my car with the backseat folded flat; bigger panels will not fit in either dimension.

So if I look at those typically 200-300W used panels, their Vmp and Imp vary somewhat, but say one 260W panel has a 30.7 Vmp, and 8.5A Imp, three panels in parallel could max out the 25A limit. Another 300W panel might have a lower 30 Vmp, and higher 10A Imp - but since 25A limits it to 8.3A per panel, it's only better than the 260W panel if the MPPT tracking adjusts to a voltage closer to the Voc (typically 35-40V). So that's why I'm asking if max power is limited to Vmp x 8.33A (8.33 x 3 = 25), or whether max power would be at voltage higher than Vmp.
I'm not sure why you are looking at vmp and imp so closely. Your first metric should be VOC making sure you calculate the cold weather adjustments for your area. The Qcells make this easy for the F3800. 3 panels wired in parallel per DC input. Rent a truck and go to your local panel supplier and get some. Old used panels are going to be hit and miss. You'll need to test each one to make sure it's performing correctly. Keep in mind that you can exceed the 25amp limit without any problem since the Anker will only draw 25 amps even if more are available up to a point. I would be fine with 30-32 amps total.

Last edited:
I'm sure why you are looking at vmp and imp so closely. Your first metric should be VOC making sure you calculate the cold weather adjustments for your area. The Qcells make this easy for the F3800. 3 panels wired in parallel per DC input. Rent a truck and go to your local panel supplier and get some. Old used panels are going to be hit and miss. You'll need to test each one to make sure it's performing correctly. Keep in mind that you can exceed the 25amp limit without any problem since the Anker will only draw 25 amps even if more are available up to a point. I would be fine with 30-32 amps total.

Thanks, I did look at Voc, but pretty much all panels of the size and vintage have Voc between 30-45 V, save for the odd Sunpower panel, so these panels will never exceed 60V in mild California climate, not even close. That's why I moved on to other metrics to compare the value of different panels.

But you're right, the more I explained things, the more I realized Vmp and Imp won't matter in real life, as I'll only come close to ideal STC conditions a few times a year for short periods, it doesn't really matter much whether the MPPT ekes out a bit more power by tracking above Vmp during those brief periods. So yeah, not worrying about it unless I got above 30-32A makes sense, which I'd only achieve with 4 older panels per input, or 3 of the newer, bigger panels like the Qcells.

I will expand my consideration to bigger (newer) panels like the Qcells, you're right, renting a truck locally for a few hours won't be a big deal, thanks! My Solix F3800 is scheduled to arrive this week, and there are a few other things to test/verify - for example, no one is quite sure whether the two XT-60 inputs are independent, and MPPT can track each separately to different voltages, or whether they are tied together.

Thanks, I did look at Voc, but pretty much all panels of the size and vintage have Voc between 30-45 V, save for the odd Sunpower panel, so these panels will never exceed 60V in mild California climate, not even close. That's why I moved on to other metrics to compare the value of different panels.

But you're right, the more I explained things, the more I realized Vmp and Imp won't matter in real life, as I'll only come close to ideal STC conditions a few times a year for short periods, it doesn't really matter much whether the MPPT ekes out a bit more power by tracking above Vmp during those brief periods. So yeah, not worrying about it unless I got above 30-32A makes sense, which I'd only achieve with 4 older panels per input, or 3 of the newer, bigger panels like the Qcells.

I will expand my consideration to bigger (newer) panels like the Qcells, you're right, renting a truck locally for a few hours won't be a big deal, thanks! My Solix F3800 is scheduled to arrive this week, and there are a few other things to test/verify - for example, no one is quite sure whether the two XT-60 inputs are independent, and MPPT can track each separately to different voltages, or whether they are tied together.

I seem to recall a video review of the f3800 where the reviewer was able to use both DC inputs or maybe he just implied they both could be used. It would be odd to have two DC inputs and only allow the use of one at a time.

Another spec to keep in mind concerning VOC. The 767 (F2000) has a lower input VOC number as well. Below 32v the 767 only draws 10amps (instead of 20) which can hobble the system. I personally ran into a situation where my VOC was around 38v at the panels but voltage sag dropped it too close to the 32v 10amp theshold that I was losing power. I'm not sure what the thresholds are for the F3800 but it would be worth looking into. You want to stay in the voltage sweet spot so you are making max power. Thats likely going to be in the low to mid 50's depending on your climate. I played around with various configurations 2s2p but it's just hard to find panels that fit into the sweet spot Anker provides.

I seem to recall a video review of the f3800 where the reviewer was able to use both DC inputs or maybe he just implied they both could be used. It would be odd to have two DC inputs and only allow the use of one at a time.

Another spec to keep in mind concerning VOC. The 767 (F2000) has a lower input VOC number as well. Below 32v the 767 only draws 10amps (instead of 20) which can hobble the system. I personally ran into a situation where my VOC was around 38v at the panels but voltage sag dropped it too close to the 32v 10amp theshold that I was losing power. I'm not sure what the thresholds are for the F3800 but it would be worth looking into. You want to stay in the voltage sweet spot so you are making max power. Thats likely going to be in the low to mid 50's depending on your climate. I played around with various configurations 2s2p but it's just hard to find panels that fit into the sweet spot Anker provides.

Thanks for pointing that out! I did know that there was a lower amp limit below 32V, but it didn't dawn on me the significance of it. That is probably going to rule out most used panels between 180-250W for sure. (For example, I have a small grid-tie Enphase microinverter system, with 250W REC panels, they have a 37.4 Voc but I can see from the Enphase monitoring that their operating voltage is below 32V pretty much all year round.)

The uncertainty on the DC inputs was more about whether each input has a separate MPPT tracker, so that you could use completely different panel/voltages/orientation for each input, or whether the MPPT was tied together.

Back