diy solar

diy solar

Anker Powerhouse 767 Solar input Challenge!

I am planning to head down to Richmond next week to pick one our two of these panels up to mount on my shed roof and power my 767. Thanks for the info watchdoc! Couple of questions:

-Would there be any serious disadvantage (besides the obvious) to running just one of these panels? My wife might not allow that much panel in view of her kitchen window as that will overhang the shed roof a bit.

-I know you said bifacial panels aren't ideal roof mounted, but we are fairly limited with the 767's solar input specs. Considering the limited options, would you recommend anything else for a roof mounted application? Thanks again!

Last edited:
I am planning to head down to Richmond next week to pick one our two of these panels up to mount on my shed roof and power my 767. Thanks for the info watchdoc! Couple of questions:

-Would there be any serious disadvantage (besides the obvious) to running just one of these panels? My wife might not allow that much panel in view of her kitchen window as that will overhang the shed roof a bit.

-I know you said bifacial panels aren't ideal roof mounted, but we are fairly limited with the 767's solar input specs. Considering the limited options, would you recommend anything else for a roof mounted application? Thanks again!

A single panel would be fine. Bifacial panels are just heavy and expensive. You might be able to come up with a cheaper mono panel or combination of panels for the given space that you have available.

Thanks for the input. The shed roof it 8'x6'. 400-500w (if I got that much roof mounted) for $300 or so might be hard to beat tough. Plus the simplicity of it.

A single panel would be fine. Bifacial panels are just heavy and expensive. You might be able to come up with a cheaper mono panel or combination of panels for the given space that you have available.
Looks like Richmond doesn't have the 480w panels but they did suggest some physically smaller (which suits my shed better anyways) 400w panels also by Q Cell. The thing I worry about is the VOC is only 45v and the MPP voltage is like 38v which starts getting down towards the 32v limit. Thoughts?

Looks like Richmond doesn't have the 480w panels but they did suggest some physically smaller (which suits my shed better anyways) 400w panels also by Q Cell. The thing I worry about is the VOC is only 45v and the MPP voltage is like 38v which starts getting down towards the 32v limit. Thoughts?

Are you still thinking about just a single panel or multiple panels?

I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to reducing input voltage somehow to add more panels to the 767. Is that even possible? I already have 8 used Trini rooftop panels but because of the limited voltage I can only add no more than 2 panels to the 767.

Are you still thinking about just a single panel or multiple panels?
I was thinking 2 panels in parallel like a smaller version of your setup, although realistically I only need one. I figured though as long as I'm up there I might as well get all I can.

I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to reducing input voltage somehow to add more panels to the 767. Is that even possible? I already have 8 used Trini rooftop panels but because of the limited voltage I can only add no more than 2 panels to the 767.
I have the Solix F3800 with similar XT-60 input as the 767. I was thinking if one could use another solar charge controller for 48V batteries, there are inexpensive ones that take Voc input up to say 150V, and the output side would be providing about 50-56V to charge batteries - that would be a good input range for the Anker power stations. But I don't know what interactions there would be between one MPPT charge controller's battery charging algorithms, and the Anker input's MPPT controller, that might cause the Anker to not accept any power in.

Would be great to see someone try this ....

Just found these used local to me for half the price. Should be a little better with the 400w Qcells considering the higher watt rating and higher VoC, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304-054155.png
    Screenshot_20240304-054155.png
    426.5 KB · Views: 8
I originally posted this in the wrong thread. This is my entry for the solar input challenge.

I may be pushing things a bit here. We have a 767. For solar charging I want to put two Longi 545w panels in parallel, VOC 49.65, ISC 13.92. Together they will be 1090w. The amps will be over the 20 A limit at almost 28 amps, but as the Anker will only draw 20 max, that seems okay. The VOC is 49.65. The cost for the 2 panels is $754 Canadian, plus $55 for the mc4 to xt60 adapter. One Anker 200w panel here is $750, plus shipping. I think the only concern may be when the temperature drops below -25 Celsius and the VOC goes up. I am thinking in that case I will unplug the solar and charge with a generator until it warms up. Is my thinking correct? Is this too much?

Back