diy solar

diy solar

Another G-N bonding Question

Mikeanw

Hello Everyone

I've been searching this one for days and cannot find quite the answer I need so i will ask here.

I have an MPP LV6548. Single unit. NO Grid input. (offgrid)
U1 69/01
U2 112/19

I do plan to install a second unit later this year for 240V.

Here's the question. I removed the G-N bonding screw as outlined in a few videos and threads, yet, as soon as I turn the inverter on, the G-N bond is created. my goal was to move the G-N bond to the panel in anticipation of the 2nd inverter. Is this expected behaviour? This wont be good when the 2nd inverter is in place (both inverters creating the bond).

Any input or thoughts would be most welcome.

Mike

Any input or thoughts
I have no idea- I’ve never been near one of them.

But when you say it “is created” are you measuring by Volts? Ohms?
Because if you can’t run anything off bare/green/ground and H1/L1 then you might ‘see’ voltage but no amps.

I guess I want the edumacation myself

Hello Everyone

I've been searching this one for days and cannot find quite the answer I need so i will ask here.

I have an MPP LV6548. Single unit. NO Grid input. (offgrid)
U1 69/01
U2 112/19

I do plan to install a second unit later this year for 240V.

Here's the question. I removed the G-N bonding screw as outlined in a few videos and threads, yet, as soon as I turn the inverter on, the G-N bond is created. my goal was to move the G-N bond to the panel in anticipation of the 2nd inverter. Is this expected behaviour? This wont be good when the 2nd inverter is in place (both inverters creating the bond).

Any input or thoughts would be most welcome.

Mike
How are you measuring the N-G bond?

I run a pair of LV6548's, I simply removed the bonding screw in one unit. Both screws can be installed and it won't affect a thing other than possible objectionable current on the EGC between the 2 inverters.

Put the bonding screw back in as it is source. When you install a second LV6548, then remove one bonding screw. You do not need to bond N-G in the panel. I prefer N-G bond at the source which is the inverter.

The LV6548's have performed flawlessly for me, I also run the firmware the units came with. Before this, I had a pair of EG4 6500EX's with bonding screws removed and updated firmware. It did not work for my system.

I have no idea- I’ve never been near one of them.

But when you say it “is created” are you measuring by Volts? Ohms?
Because if you can’t run anything off bare/green/ground and H1/L1 then you might ‘see’ voltage but no amps.

I guess I want the edumacation myself
When the inverter is off, the Neutral and Ground are not connected (Resistance measurement)
When the Inverter powers up the Neutral and Ground are connected (0 Ohms between them)

When the inverter is off, the Neutral and Ground are not connected (Resistance measurement)
When the Inverter powers up the Neutral and Ground are connected (0 Ohms between them)
You can't use resistance with the unit powered up.

With unit off, no wires connected on input or output, you can measure resistance. If there is continuity between N-G (0 ohms), the unit bonds N-G. If it is open circuit, the unit does not bond N-G.

If you measure voltage with the system powered up and connected with 120V loads, you should see 120V between N-G if no bonding is present.

Back