diy solar

diy solar

Ant bms question

Max232

Very new to all this but read lots of posts in here and endless hours of youtube videos.

So decided to take the plunge and setup an off grid test rig I could expand upon.

A have a Chinese clone all in one inverter thatvi bought just for the inverter. Not charging or taking in any solar to it.

8 x 105ah lifepo4 cells in series with the 150amp ant bms.

I have applied the setting to most of the ones that seem to apply to me and for the most part, the last 12 days all has been fine.

As I have become more comfortable with the setup I have been using it more than just testing it.

The pack seems very good and after the initial top balance it auto balances well charging up and down with the ant.

So during solar input there are no issues.

I can small loads, TV's, kettles and even washing machines and dryers that tend to spike to about 2.2kw.

When the solar is off because the battery is full or very little sun I have started getting this error in the ant when I turn on say a dryer or kettle.

In Protection Info it will say...
Short Circuit Protection

In top section of the ant screen it will say...
Charge Mos Precharge Failure

If solar is coming in I don't seem to get it.

Also I did try increasing the Precharge Current in the System Parameters section from 20A to 50A as someone else posted on this forum but just the same.

Also the AC bypass is not turned on so its just battery bank only. It is wired up, just turned off to limit complications while getting used to everything.

Any pointers
Thanks in advanced

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-173729_bms.jpg
    Screenshot_20220318-173729_bms.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hi

That should mean you had somehow a short circuit so you better check your cabling especially those from your loads and the loads electronics itself. Maybe try first with a small load before going to heavy loads in this particular scenario.
The other fault is that after the first fault it switches the whole BMS off. To solve it i only found the solution to shortly disconnect and connect my battery from my hybrid charge controller/inverter.

Btw could you send me kindly the download link for that app you are using, seems i am using annold version.

Many thanks!

Thanks a lot!

I installed it but somehow I can't connect to it. It sees my ant BMS but it doesn't connect. I have all permissions granted and Bluetooth and location activated. Then i open the app click on the Bluetooth address of my BMS, wait and then it says timeout in Chinese and nothing happens. I wasn't asked to input a password or anything at any step.
How to connect? I don't understand level 1 to 4 is ... Where do I have to input those passwords?

Many thanks!

If you have had another version of the app connected to the ant bms you need to disconnect the bms from the old app first.

Connect the old app again then go to Bluetooth settings and tap the bms and select disconnect.

With the ant bms I have found you have to disconnect it from the existing device before reconnecting it to another device or app.

After disconnecting from the old app remove it then install the newer version.

Connect it in your Bluetooth settings then open the new app.

It should connect but if not see if you can tap "Device List" in the top right corner and select your bms in there.

After its connected click "Control" along the bottom of the app.

Next select "Authority" along the top.

Now click Level 5 and add the password...

It should now say Level 5 along the top.

You can now make changes to the parameters.

In future to make changes you need to go back to "Authority" and tap Level 5 before trying to make changes.

Hope this helps.

On one if my ant bms's the Bluetooth shows two ant devices.

One works when you connect to it and the other will connect but does not work.

Only one of them works.

I find its Bluetooth range really short and sometimes when I open the app it may say "unconnected" in the top left.

I just close then open the app again until it connects.

Thanks a lot for this detailed description!!

IMG_20220518_103733.jpgScreenshot_2022-05-18-10-21-15-118_com.lecheng.hello.ant_bms.jpg
That's my BMS and the app i am using.
Unfortunately i can't find the option to disconnect the BMS from this app/ it seems there is none.
Anyway i went into my old app, tried all kind of things, quit the app and then deinstalled it, unpaired my BMS in the phone Bluetooth settings, installed the new .116 app, paired again in Bluetooth settings with my BMS (with both, one asks for the password one not), opened the new app and allowed all permissions, tried to connect again but with the same result, it says timed out after a while in chinese.
Could it be that my older ant BMS isn't compatible with this new app version?
Do i have to factory reset it? ...would like to avoid that one...

Much appreciat your thoughts and help!

About the age of your bms.

I bought my first test 150amp ant bms in October of last year an was given a link to the older app.

That worked fine. I then bought 2 300amp ant bms's in February of this year from the same seller.

With the new bms and the old app it would connect but the Level 5 password would not work.

The seller said it should be fine but while they were saying it should work with their old app I found the link I posted above from someone who had bought from a different seller.

I downloaded the new app and it worked with my older 150amp bms.

How old is your bms?

We got our diy 16s battery with this ant BMS over a year ago, hard to say when it was actually manufactured. It's glued on the Futureboard cover so i can't look at its back.

The screenshot of the app i sent you has no level passwords (wonder what use that has anyway to introduce something like that...).

I will try to find and read the manual of this BMS maybe there stands something useful in it about pairing and unpairing... Maybe i really have to do a factory reset it i want to make it work with the new app. It definitely looks so much more convenient and useful than what I am using currently. It works as well but that's all.

A factory reset would be bad news given the data its logged already.

In mine I go to Control then Authority and I get the screen in the picture.

Level 1 was already set when I connected.

After setting Level 5 I could make changes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-104546_bms.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-104546_bms.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 10
I see. That means they worked an app around this stand alone "authority app" where you can change all parameters. The screenshot i sent you is the Startscreen of the app version i use.

Our BMS is active since 421days, so it is minimum 2 months older than that. So minimum 480 days old.

Well i don't mind loosing the logs because they have no practical use for me anyway. I only like to avoid to have to send all loads offline (a whole 3 story building with 3 refrigerators etc) while programming everything anew. This battery + inverter is used as an ups since we have so many power cuts here.

Thanks a lot for this detailed description!!

View attachment 94998View attachment 94999
That's my BMS and the app i am using.
Unfortunately i can't find the option to disconnect the BMS from this app/ it seems there is none.
Anyway i went into my old app, tried all kind of things, quit the app and then deinstalled it, unpaired my BMS in the phone Bluetooth settings, installed the new .116 app, paired again in Bluetooth settings with my BMS (with both, one asks for the password one not), opened the new app and allowed all permissions, tried to connect again but with the same result, it says timed out after a while in chinese.
Could it be that my older ant BMS isn't compatible with this new app version?
Do i have to factory reset it? ...would like to avoid that one...

Much appreciat your thoughts and help!
Not aware of any disconnect in the app. Just remove/unpair the device from phone bluetooth settings. I have multiple ANTs and have to pair/unpair as required to connect with app. Mine are older units so using older app. Have a new one but still packed. Don't think the old ones work with new app and vice versa.

Also, only connect to BMS-ANT, BLE will not work.

I have my previous version of the app.

V1.2.4

Is this newer than you version?

Attachments

• mybms_v1.2.4_20210803.apk
    11 MB · Views: 83
That's the screen I get if I connect to the wrong Bluetooth device in my phone Bluetooth settings.

I see two ant devices. If I select the correct one I don't see anything in devices in the app.

If I select the wrong one in my phone Bluetooth setting I get the picture above but doesn't connect.

I am playing about with Grafana to pull all the live settings into a database on a raspberry pi and the pi also seethe ant identifying as two Bluetooth devices.

Not aware of any disconnect in the app. Just remove/unpair the device from phone bluetooth settings. I have multiple ANTs and have to pair/unpair as required to connect with app. Mine are older units so using older app. Have a new one but still packed. Don't think the old ones work with new app and vice versa.

Also, only connect to BMS-ANT, BLE will not work.
Thanks a lot, yes i usually only pair to bms-ant which asks for the password.
Yes i also have no disconnect in my app.

How old are your BMS's? Do they look different than mine?

Have you already tried to connect to the new app version?

That's the screen I get if I connect to the wrong Bluetooth device in my phone Bluetooth settings.

I see two ant devices. If I select the correct one I don't see anything in devices in the app.

If I select the wrong one in my phone Bluetooth setting I get the picture above but doesn't connect.

I am playing about with Grafana to pull all the live settings into a database on a raspberry pi and the pi also seethe ant identifying as two Bluetooth devices.
Thanks, that's a helpful observation!
Yes you are right, my old app always shows connected to bms-ant... . Unfortunately that ant-ble is the only thing which shows... ?

This is my spare 300amp bought in February.

Attachments

• 20220518_112615.jpg
    20220518_112615.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 8
Back