diy solar

diy solar

Any good experiences with wind?

this bloke does some really interesting projects inc looking at small wind turbines - might be worth checking out some of his projects to see if any designs might suit your location?

May I politly suggest that you, in the future, set your phone to record at a higher resolution? I can't make out any details on your multi meter :(
these were screenshots from the video, not much I can do with those. Multi meter is reading 105.2v DC, wind meter is reading 7.80 mph, but wind was highly variable during that test, so the two readings are not directly correlated, as they are a few seconds apart in the video. The max wind reading that day was gusting to 30 mph. I took alot of video of the early testing, and used it to analyze the issues I found as I went, which is why I moved the location several times and played with heights of the tower. My area is listed as a "very low" wind zone (5-8mph avg) but where I am is between two mountain ranges where the prevailing westerly wind is funneled down the valley, resulting in very strong northerlies or southerly winds. I was thinking of not even making the installation rotate as we never see east or west winds. After building and testing, this project was largely put on hold while I assembled my solar approach, and was waiting for the housing of the turbine to be made. I have a temporary connection to a MWAS controller to a bank of old 12v car batteries, used for LED lighting in the barn and charging stations.

I actually have a wind system to supplement my solar. I live 100% off-grid. Back when we had the really crummy solar weather, my Missouri Wind and Solar turbine was producing about 3KW a day - enough to supplement in with the light solar we were getting.

Back