diy solar

diy solar

Any land for Tiny House available?

Icetea

Of course ideally at least 1 acre and or not near a neighbor within a 3 mile radius. Any where a tornado won't hit me.or snow.

Solar
solar_ghi_2018_usa_scale_01.jpg
Wind
30m_US_Wind.jpg
You'd want to cross-reference for snow and tornado activity of course. But, Fort Stockton, Texas?

You also need to find an unincorporated area that will allow you to build without city utilities. They are getting harder to find. I did a lot of research about this when I was looking for a home base property for an RV and Texas or New Mexico seemed to be the front runners. Nevada as well. Arizona somewhat but not as much as the others. Check Nye County Nevada. Near Pahrump. And no tornado means no Oklahoma, Kansas or Arkansas. And western Missouri. Everywhere you go in the country has SOMETHING. Earthquakes and wildfires out west, tornado alley in the midwest, the hurricanes in the east and the southeast coast, the humidity in the North and South Carolina areas..... Every time I think about finding Utopia I realize that winters in Ohio are, on average, not that bad. We get one nasty blast of cold and snow that lasts 7-10 days and then it's back to mid 20s and tolerable amounts of snow. But for solar power, you likely want the southwest to have sunshine all year. Solar where I am, for example, would be fine from May through September, and then in October we start seeing progressively less sun, until February when we wonder if we will ever see the sun again. Until April when it stats being sunny every day. That sunlight map Svetz posted should be your guiding light. (See what I did there?)

Last edited:
Damn thats crazy some ares wont even let you live off grid forcing you to use there utilities. that should be illegal.
thanks for your replys . some parts of texas look good. also utah, or new mexico, i like the flat areas in wyoming

Building codes may have a purpose when they have safety ramifications,, but some of them are ridiculous. I can build a shed type structure in my back yard up to 100 square feet. Anything bigger requires a permit. I can do 10x10, 12x8, 50x2 if for some reason I'd want that, just not bigger than 100 sq ft. AND, get this. If I wanted to run underground electrical to feed it, I need a permit. However, I AM allowed to run an extension cord from the garage without one. So if I wanted a little recording studio out there, I could build a 12x8 wooden structure with a raised floor, insulate it, and run an extension cord for power from the garage. I could have a fridge out there for bottled water, just not running water. An electric heater. No gas, no sewer (potty time would have to be au natural). I wouldn't do that, as my studio is in my upstairs rooms and I don't use it much, but that's how dumb some of this is.

Central Eastern New Mexico. There aren't utilities to hook up to even if you wanted to. Just watch out for Aliens and random missile testing...
You also don't have to worry about Lithium batteries freezing... if it's going to get that cold just pull out your gieger counter and pick up a few rocks to place around the batteries to keep them warm.

People that want a tiny house? Buy a used RV. 20-30 years old, in good shape, 65k miles, already built. $8k. May need some upgrading and solar. And it has wheels and it's own engine. Or a Scamp travel trailer - you can tow those with just about anything, the smaller models.

They still need a place to park it. Not everybody wants to travel non stop. Many can't because they still have jobs. I personally think campgrounds suck. All the forced socialization.... Horrible wifi, monthly rent 2/3 of what a mortgage costs, and you live on a 20x30 piece of land with a neighbor 6 feet from you. Possibly a noisy neighbor who has no responsibilities and stays up drinking beer and raising hell all night. Looking at it from that perspective, my stick and brick house with forced utilities is okay. Unless you want to be one of those drifters moving from menial job to menial job and e-begging youtube followers for money. "Make sure you like, share and subscribe, and when you buy from Amazon do it through my affiliate link. Because, I don't want to have to get a job, and I can't be a drifter unless YOU people support me!! But damn those people who live on WELFARE!!!" And get me started on Patreon...... WTF is Patreon if not just begging strangers for money?

Who's Peterson?

And why does a tiny home need to be mobile? I would love to build a 500 sq ft home with an outbuilding to hold 2 cars, which would give me a lot of roof for solar panels and rainwater capture feeding a large cistern. I would love to never see people again!! The problem there is that there is no place to do that in a part of the country I would want to live in. At my age, I gave up on finding Utopia.

So many states/counties don't allow permanent residency in Tiny homes/RV it's hard to find... My brother bought 4 separate but joined lots and moves his RV from one lot to the other 4 times a year (130 day limit on "camping" per lot) to get around the restrictions.

I didn't know there were laws restricting tiny houses.

Tiny house laws seem ridiculous, bet they wouldn't hold up if taken to court; but they probably bank on the fact that most won't bother. For example, I saw one reason was that it couldn't be determined if they were safe for occupancy - that's exactly what the county's building department does - all you need is a certified engineering report for any other "odd project" and the county okay's it.

Montana of all places has a tiny house law? But, there's no restrictions if you own 40 acres?

I'm building a tiny house on a permanent foundation. It doesn't need to be mobile, I just don't feel the need to occupy, heat, cool, clean,and maintain a large home. I spend most of my time outside anyway. It's still bigger than my first apartment.

NM Will, are you inside a city limits or on unincorporated land? Free from the tyranny that is formalized government that makes rules to cost people money just because they can?

NM Will, are you inside a city limits or on unincorporated land? Free from the tyranny that is formalized government that makes rules to cost people money just because they can?

Unincorporated! I have 2.5 acres and my property taxes are $14. Someday the assessor might catch up to the progress, but I doubt it. The first thing I did was plant large, fast growing trees at the street, so you can't see anything.

Back