diy solar

diy solar

Any small 500W-ish "all in one" inverters? Building security cam base unit

I just realized my SCC won't allow more than 5A on the load terms. that's dumb! I'd nearly have to let it power a relay to disconnect the inverter. Silliness.

Not necessarily. If you simply wire the on/off switch of the inverter to the load ports of the SCC, it should work. That switch circuit is going to be nowhere near 5a. Does require you to lightly modify the inverter, but it's a pretty simple thing that needs doing.

Really appreciate all the ideas and product links. Try as I might, I can't find a cheaper solution than just using a stand alone SCC and inverter cube. For now, I already have an MPPT SCC, and plenty off batteries to meet the need. I honestly need to get one of these towers erected and monitor the power as a test because there are plans to do at least 2 more of these towers.

I think for now I'd just like to find a good cube inverter in the 500-750W range. Self consumption will be important. I have found Renogy used 700W on egay, but people basically want new price for used gear. Any others to consider?

I can tell you, by accident, I have tested that Renogy I have and it has done really well. Over loaded a couple times, GFI works perfect, etc. Always protects itself.

Really appreciate all the ideas and product links. Try as I might, I can't find a cheaper solution than just using a stand alone SCC and inverter cube. For now, I already have an MPPT SCC, and plenty off batteries to meet the need. I honestly need to get one of these towers erected and monitor the power as a test because there are plans to do at least 2 more of these towers.

I think for now I'd just like to find a good cube inverter in the 500-750W range. Self consumption will be important. I have found Renogy used 700W on egay, but people basically want new price for used gear. Any others to consider?

I can tell you, by accident, I have tested that Renogy I have and it has done really well. Over loaded a couple times, GFI works perfect, etc. Always protects itself.
Maybe the Giandel 600W for $110 $98? (Edit: cheaper on Amazon)

I use the 300W and 1200W models in different 12V systems. They've been working great. The 1200 has about 4W idle consumption. Not sure what the 600W would be but I can't imagine it being terrible.

Last edited:
Take a look at my Board Build thread. That or any of the suitcase or milk crate builds would work for you. The way I did my board build, it works with just about any 12v battery/configuration and any PV you want to connect. The Victron inverter is programmable with the attached Bluetooth module.

Back