diy solar

diy solar

Any thoughts on this new inverter/charger

Nillerk

For the Canadians out there, I was looking for an alternative to the Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger and came across this:

It seems pretty impressive for the price. No remote monitoring though from what I can see.

Thoughts?

For the Canadians out there, I was looking for an alternative to the Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger and came across this:

It seems pretty impressive for the price. No remote monitoring though from what I can see.

Thoughts?
Its a rebranded one of these https://www.sigineer.com/product/30...0vac-double-phase-pure-sine-inverter-charger/

It looks a lot like the Sungold that I purchased but with a fancier display. They're all made at the same place I'm pretty sure.

I haven't gotten mine installed in my RV yet but it seems to be working pretty well in my testing so far. One thing I didn't know when I purchased it was that the inverter/charger won't even power on unless it sees battery voltage on the terminals. I think its pretty good value for the money, unless you NEED more monitoring then you need to step up to something like the Victron MultiPlus but lots more $$

I’m also eyeballing these Sungoldpower!!!! I do realize it’s rebrand of the sigeneer stuff

Just curious - And apologies to the OP - But…. What’s the difference between just an inverter vs an inverter charger? And what’s added by ones with vs without displays?

Just curious - And apologies to the OP - But…. What’s the difference between just an inverter vs an inverter charger? And what’s added by ones with vs without displays?
An inverter turns dc current into ac current.
An inverter charger also charges your battery by turning ac current into dc current.
It also has an automatic transfer switch which switches automatically and safely between shore power and battery power and back.
Its 3 components in 1 and effectively cheaper than buying the components separately.
And since you get economy of integration they can make them with more granular configuration options.
Most inverters and older inverter/chargers were designed for use with lead acid batteries and are not flexible enough to be a good solution for lifepo4 batteries.

An inverter turns dc current into ac current.
An inverter charger also charges your battery by turning ac current into dc current.
It also has an automatic transfer switch which switches automatically and safely between shore power and battery power and back.
Its 3 components in 1 and effectively cheaper than buying the components separately.
And since you get economy of integration they can make them with more granular configuration options.
Most inverters and older inverter/chargers were designed for use with lead acid batteries and are not flexible enough to be a good solution for lifepo4 batteries.
Thank you! (So other than the auto transfer switch, it sounds like the inverter charger is possibly redundant to the Renogy 40 amp dc to dc charger and the 30 amp MPPT controller with display we already have then, and we should be able to go with the slightly less expensive pure sine wave inverter option then (vs the inverter charger option), if we aren’t looking for he auto transfer option between shore and battery power (if I understand this response correctly.))

Last edited:
So other than the auto transfer switch, it sounds like the inverter charger is possibly redundant to the dc to dc charger and MPPT controller with display we already have then, and we should be able to go with the slightly less expensive inverter option vs the inverter charger option, if we aren’t looking for he auto transfer option between shore and battery power (if I understand this response correctly.)
Its good to be able to charge from ac as the sun is not guaranteed to shine every day.
If I knew your usage model I could advise better.
An inverter/charger really is great for an RV that will sometimes be connected to either shore power or a generator.
They also fit some other niches but that is the main one.

Said another way if you don't need an automatic transfer switch and you don't need an ac charger then go with a discrete converter.
If you need either of the 2 additional features I suggest the integrated unit.

Its good to be able to charge from ac as the sun is not guaranteed to shine every day.
If I knew your usage model I could advise better.
An inverter/charger really is great for an RV that will sometimes be connected to either shore power or a generator.
They also fit some other niches but that is the main one.

Said another way if you don't need an automatic transfer switch and you don't need an ac charger then go with a discrete converter.
If you need either of the 2 additional features I suggest the integrated unit.
*Sorry again to the OP for hijacking the thread!

That said, we have a TC which we have installed 2 panels of 100w with a 30 amp MPPT controller to keep 2 FLA batteries charged when boondocking. In addition to the solar we also installed a Renogy 40 amp Dc to Dc to further supplement charging the batteries while driving on the less sunnier days, as well as to have the power available to charge our electronics, etc or run other 12 volt electronics and such from the TC, while we are in transit.

We we’re also looking at installing an inverter, because we miss the functionality of being able to also use corded appliances as well as the possibility of running the ac and such while boondocking. And we weren’t sure if we needed an inverter charger pure sine wave 2k or 3k with an display or just an inverter without the charger….

*Sorry again to the OP for hijacking the thread!

That said, we have a TC which we have installed 2 panels of 100w with a 30 amp MPPT controller to keep 2 FLA batteries charged when boondocking. In addition to the solar we also installed a Renogy 40 amp Dc to Dc to further supplement charging the batteries while driving on the less sunnier days, as well as to have the power available to charge our electronics, etc or run other 12 volt electronics and such from the TC, while we are in transit.

We we’re also looking at installing an inverter, because we miss the functionality of being able to also use corded appliances as well as the possibility of running the ac and such while boondocking. And we weren’t sure if we needed an inverter charger pure sine wave 2k or 3k with an display or just an inverter without the charger….
What is a "TC"?

we have a TC which we have installed...

That is all a good setup.
So the other half of your questions revolve around when you are plugged into shore power only. If you were plugged into shore power, the transfer switch would pass shore power to the outlets. If you had an inverter/charger, the shore power would be used to charge the batteries.

And conversely, when not plugged into shore power, the outlets would be powered by the inverter.

That is all a good setup.
So the other half of your questions revolve around when you are plugged into shore power only. If you were plugged into shore power, the transfer switch would pass shore power to the outlets. If you had an inverter/charger, the shore power would be used to charge the batteries.

And conversely, when not plugged into shore power, the outlets would be powered by the inverter.
So then my next question for clarification is….wont an inverter (vs an inverter charger) still allow me the ability to use the corded appliances and AC and such if not plugged into shore power? (As I thought that was the premise for why people installed inverters in their campers….
As it sounds like the inverter charger is only necessary if we also want to have it automatically charge the batteries while on shore power, which may not be needed if we have solar installed too.)

wont an inverter (vs an inverter charger) still allow me the ability to use the corded appliances and AC and such if not plugged into shore power?
Yes
But if by "AC" you mean air conditioner, then probably not. Air conditioners are generally powered directly from shore power and NOT from an inverter or inverter/charger.

Hi there , in Australia we use ( those who care about their safety ) an RVD such as this when wiring in inverter charger combos https://www.rvdsafe.com.au/

Do you guys do the same ??
I have not seen that specifically.
In North America some folks do test the pedestal polarity like this.
Also not uncommon to have a surge protector in-line.
Some folks have a reverse polarity "dog-bone", which is a little adapter to swap the hot and neutral.

Yes any ac work on rv's in here in au is supposed to be done by a licensed electrician and tested and certified , the RVD is used as normal RCB's won't work ( due to no ground / earth ). in off grid situations using the ac circuit ran by hard wired inverters

Back