diy solar

diy solar

Any UL listed solar components pls submit?

It is required that the area below and in front of a electrical panel has to be clear for safe working access. This applies to anything not just batteries.

It is required that the area below and in front of a electrical panel has to be clear for safe working access. This applies to anything not just batteries.
So... are u saying the way ppl put batteries and inverter in plastic box wouldnt be acceptable?

Makes sense cuz I found that while looking for an inverter.

I've been saving panels and cables to last. I do recall something about anti-reflective concerning panels; but, like I said, havent crossed that bridge yet.

Earlier today, now cant find where saw them lol, ran across like $50 200w portable/foldable panels. Very curious to re-find them. Were 100v but included charger. Want check that out as battery charger.
They are from San Tan Solar. use that in the search. Will did a review on them a few months back. I have a direct contact for them if you do not find an email in the comments of that video.

// https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase/ for the suitcase version
// The three panel version. https://www.wish.com/product/5dbac477df62a310e65c4132
// With an inverter and 'stuff' https://www.homedepot.com/p/NATURE-...bles-and-Bonus-Phone-Charger-55120K/315070861

Last edited:
They are from San Tan Solar. use that in the search. Will did a review on them a few months back. I have a direct contact for them if you do not find an email in the comments of that video.

// https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-foldable-solar-suitcase/ for the suitcase version
// The three panel version. https://www.wish.com/product/5dbac477df62a310e65c4132
// With an inverter and 'stuff' https://www.homedepot.com/p/NATURE-...bles-and-Bonus-Phone-Charger-55120K/315070861
I watched that. The 100v is throwing me. Will look. Did find some 100a but pretty sure it said 100v.

NEC 2016/7 (sorry i forgot which year the update came out) required me to put my battery bank outside and 5 feet from the building and property line. I read the regs myself, it's in there.
Well, then how Tesla installs their Powerwalls attached to the house inside or outside?

Well, then how Tesla installs their Powerwalls attached to the house inside or outside?
U were grandfathered in since u had it before the update BUT u sound like me = I try to abide by every rule. Been thru that crap before where code enforcement came down on me. (Started over an antique car 1975 where question was 'can be un-registered if being restored'.

Man, once I bucked them, it was on. Was important to me cuz I inherited the car from my grandmother.

I won in the end but not before every inch of everything being probed. 2 months of pure hell.

So now, its dont give the jerks a reason ya know.

Their battery (and a few others) is UL listed as an assembly.

I guess I should have clarified, unless you use a UL listed (for home energy storage) battery it must be 5 ft from buildings, prop line, etc.

The current code update requires any battery to be UL listed for the purpose, no DIY could be permitted.

Also, good friend gave great advice = When inspector comes, dont jump his crap when he doesnt like something. Instead, just ask how can I make it right.

This, 1000 times over, this is the best option.

My neighbor argued with the inspector over and over about something they went around in circles for months.

On my PV, everything was permitted, so I knew it was roughly correct. Just ask clarifying questions and fix the stuff they bring up. Only one issue needed a follow up inspection.

But, if you have a bad inspector or one with a bias against home owners it's rough.

Their battery (and a few others) is UL listed as an assembly.

I guess I should have clarified, unless you use a UL listed (for home energy storage) battery it must be 5 ft from buildings, prop line, etc.

The current code update requires any battery to be UL listed for the purpose, no DIY could be permitted.
Oh no. Everything I checked had batteries exempt from UL Listed requirement.

Appearing my gut feeling, County Ordinances are updating fast to catch up with tech growth, is correct = get on with the program and quick.

What batteries did u find that were UL listed? Would save me a lot of time.

Btw, u had said 'their battery' - meaning Tesla - being UL Listed. I'm interested in the 'others' related to home energy storage.

I watched that. The 100v is throwing me. Will look. Did find some 100a but pretty sure it said 100v.
Does using a direct contact make a difference?

I came a hair... literally was getting the card number ready... to order some 350w panels from them tonight. (UL certified so caught my eye). THEN I backed off after realizing how fast requirements were changing.

Meaning: I currently have 2 projects going on:
1. A made-in-china cheap products to meet a quick but very temp need. (In camper atm after house fire)
2. This is the big one that Im stocking up for as I find UL Listed products = my tiny house being built. The final house is crucial to be legit and safe from fire.

Cables and panels were 2 things I planned to use on both UNTIL today. Today I ran across those china high watt portable panels. Portable made me stand up straight.

Look like u recommended and San Tan has some new UL cert high watt panels.

Oh no. Everything I checked had batteries exempt from UL Listed requirement.

Appearing my gut feeling, County Ordinances are updating fast to catch up with tech growth, is correct = get on with the program and quick.

What batteries did u find that were UL listed? Would save me a lot of time.

Many of the expensive ready to use batteries are UL listed. In my experience they may not be DIY friendly.

Tesla, Enphase, Simplifi, whatever Generac has named the battery back up company they purchased.

It's been a while since I hunted and planned, so I am sure there are others I am forgetting and new options.

What do you mean exempt from UL listing? I'm not sure how who would decide it was exempt. That seems more like an excuse to not get UL listing.

Many of the expensive ready to use batteries are UL listed. In my experience they may not be DIY friendly.

Tesla, Enphase, Simplifi, whatever Generac has named the battery back up company they purchased.

It's been a while since I hunted and planned, so I am sure there are others I am forgetting and new options.

What do you mean exempt from UL listing? I'm not sure how who would decide it was exempt. That seems more like an excuse to not get UL listing.
Exempt is word I'm using to summarize. There's a long process I do to verify UL. Hence starting this post.

Never trust when a distributor says 'yes UL listed'.

Long story short: I don't recall specifically. Something would have made me draw that conclusion.

BUT now that u've mentioned some UL batteries, I need to recheck that. I lean opposite than u tho. I lean towards companies saying this is UL which u need... then u pay 20 times more.

I'd rather 1st make sure its needed... especially for off-grid non-mobile. As in once I get the UL number, I can find out exactly what it applies to.

Will start with 1st finding a UL battery claim within a home solar company. Difficult after that cuz Im looking for the stamp, the number and reason.

Sometimes companies flat won't respond. Some give bologna. Some give more info but say no stamp.

Occassionally, AIMS (part y Im a fan) did this, a company will tell u straight up 'not on this product. Sorry'

I was so impressed with AIMS, I ckecked them out (btw their response even told me how to tell if UL by an item's part #). They have several UL inverters much more in my price range (im a bargain hunter) BUT all were outa stock.

Anyway, will re-check batteries and definitely going have to find out the distance range ppl r talking about.

Back