diy solar

diy solar

Any way to see if all the panels are connected and working from the voltage or any other number?

Galego

I have 10 fitted 5 days ago but i can see the outputs expected (compared to similar system next to me) so I am not doubting myself whether all the panels have been connected or any is faulty.

Any way to check this between having someone in the roof with a tool?

If you have them wired in series the VOC should be the panels rating x 10 or equal to the number in series. The amperage should be the rated ISC for 1 panel. For example a panel rated at 30 VOC, 8 amp x 10 in series= 300 VOC, 8 amps ISC. This would be no load on panel/panel string. If they are in parallel the reading would be 30 VOC and 80 A ISC. VOC: volts open circuit and ISC: amps short circuit.
If they are in long strings the voltages/currents can be lethal so use extreme caution!
If you find discrepancies from label values you would have to isolate and test each individual panel.

Last edited:
@emap
This is the data sheet for my panels (last one - 410w)
1664873834241.png

In the datalog form the inverter I cannot see Voc. I can only see
DC Voltage Pv1(V), between 75 to 104
AC Voltage U(V), between 227 to 238
DC bus voltage(V), between 386 to 392
Grid Voltage U(V), between 229 to 239

Where would I find this VOC number? Inverter?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Let me throw a few things out.
First I am going to assume you have all 10 panels in Series and is a grid tie set-up.
Second VOC is the voltage you get from each panel if they are not connected to anything / Do Not have a load on them.
In your case from the chart you posted VOC 37.77 volts x 10 panels = 377.70 volts DC.
That is a lot of DC voltage so my suggestion is not to play around trying to check it. If you really feel like you want to PLEASE have the proper safety equipment.
Now what will be safer and easier if checking the voltage at the controller when the panels have full direct sun on them.
Vmp 31.66vdc x 10 panels = 316.60 vdc @ the controller.
And if the stars align just perfect the MAX current you will see is 12.95 amps and the max wattage will be 410 watts x 10 or 4100 watts.
What controller or inverter are you running?

Let me throw a few things out.
First I am going to assume you have all 10 panels in Series and is a grid tie set-up.
Second VOC is the voltage you get from each panel if they are not connected to anything / Do Not have a load on them.
In your case from the chart you posted VOC 37.77 volts x 10 panels = 377.70 volts DC.
That is a lot of DC voltage so my suggestion is not to play around trying to check it. If you really feel like you want to PLEASE have the proper safety equipment.
Now what will be safer and easier if checking the voltage at the controller when the panels have full direct sun on them.
Vmp 31.66vdc x 10 panels = 316.60 vdc @ the controller.
And if the stars align just perfect the MAX current you will see is 12.95 amps and the max wattage will be 410 watts x 10 or 4100 watts.
What controller or inverter are you running?
This one here. Solis 5kW S6 2MPPT one phase - DC Inverter

Panels are 410W Tiger Neo N-type 54Cell AB

Those should play nice with each other.
If you have a 10S configuration and something in the string was not connected right the result would be NO output from the PV.
I don't know the first thing about that inverter but I would suggest you make sure you have all the setting correct.

Those should play nice with each other.
If you have a 10S configuration and something in the string was not connected right the result would be NO output from the PV.
I don't know the first thing about that inverter but I would suggest you make sure you have all the setting correct.
Thanks for your help. I thin I will get the installer to call over and look at it first hand.

By the way, from all the below fields in the data log (from the inverter) - which one (s) is the Vmp / vdc ?

Data Field
DC Voltage Pv1(V)
DC Current Pv1(A)
DC Power Pv1(W)
AC Voltage U(V)
AC Voltage V(V)
AC Voltage W(V)
AC Current U(A)
AC Current V(A)
AC Current W(A)
Total Inverter Power(W)
AC Frequency(Hz)
Power Factor
Dispersion Rate
Initialize the grounding voltage(V)
DC bus voltage(V)
Dc bus half voltage(V)
Insulation Resistance Realtime Value
Grid Voltage U(V)
Grid Voltage V(V)
Grid Voltage W(V)
Grid Current U(A)
Grid Current V(A)
Grid Current W(A)
Grid Total Active Power(W)
Grid Total Reactive Power(Var)
Grid Total Apparent Power(VA)
Grid Frequency(Hz)
Grid Power Factor(%)
Bypass AC Voltage(V)
Bypass AC Current(A)
Bypass Load Power(W)

To check if your panels are working on your set up and with your experience get you an AC clamp amp meter and on a sunny day around noon check the amps coming out of the inverter I am assuming it is a 220 vac and multiply that by the amps to get the watts out.

Thanks for your help. I thin I will get the installer to call over and look at it first hand.

By the way, from all the below fields in the data log (from the inverter) - which one (s) is the Vmp / vdc ?

Data Field
DC Voltage Pv1(V)
DC Current Pv1(A)
DC Power Pv1(W)
AC Voltage U(V)
AC Voltage V(V)
AC Voltage W(V)
AC Current U(A)
AC Current V(A)
AC Current W(A)
Total Inverter Power(W)
AC Frequency(Hz)
Power Factor
Dispersion Rate
DC bus voltage(V)
Dc bus half voltage(V)
Grid Voltage U(V)
Grid Voltage V(V)
Grid Voltage W(V)
Grid Current U(A)
Grid Current V(A)
Grid Current W(A)
Grid Frequency(Hz)
Grid Power Factor(%)
Bypass AC Voltage(V)
Bypass AC Current(A)
Bypass Load Power(W)
This one (DC Voltage Pv1(V))

Data Field
DC Voltage Pv1(V)
DC Current Pv1(A)
DC Power Pv1(W)
AC Voltage U(V)
AC Voltage V(V)
AC Voltage W(V)
AC Current U(A)
AC Current V(A)
AC Current W(A)
Total Inverter Power(W)
AC Frequency(Hz)
Power Factor
Dispersion Rate
DC bus voltage(V)
Dc bus half voltage(V)
Grid Voltage U(V)
Grid Voltage V(V)
Grid Voltage W(V)
Grid Current U(A)
Grid Current V(A)
Grid Current W(A)
Grid Frequency(Hz)
Grid Power Factor(%)
Bypass AC Voltage(V)
Bypass AC Current(A)
Bypass Load Power(W)
DC Voltage Pv1(V)
DC Current Pv1(A)
DC Power Pv1(W)
That's what is coming from you panels.

To check if your panels are working at noon check this field (DC Power Pv1(W)) to see if you are getting about 80% of your panel's wattage. (DC Power Pv1(W)) if not you may have a problem I do not think they are wired ten in series due to this reading unless it was taken when the sun is not shining very well (DC Voltage Pv1(V), between 75 to 104)

It has been hard to test them. They are up in the roof now for a week and we have not had a single full sunny day here in Ireland. There have been some sunny spells and these are when i found the performance disappointing, comparing it with others here in similar locations in Ireland (via pvoutput.org).
This is the max reading which i have seen since up in the roof.

DC Voltage Pv1(V)DC Current Pv1(A)DC Power Pv1(W)

I feel like calling the installer and reporting this but he would tell me that there has been barely any sun, it is october, etc...

It has been hard to test them. They are up in the roof now for a week and we have not had a single full sunny day here in Ireland. There have been some sunny spells and these are when i found the performance disappointing, comparing it with others here in similar locations in Ireland (via pvoutput.org).
This is the max reading which i have seen since up in the roof.

DC Voltage Pv1(V)DC Current Pv1(A)DC Power Pv1(W)

I feel like calling the installer and reporting this but he would tell me that there has been barely any sun, it is october, etc...
How the panels are pointed to the sun will have a big impact on their performance if not on a south-facing roof you will not get even close to the stated power.:(

Is your chimeny casting a shadow on the panels at the peak of the day?
I think it may hit first panel around 14:30. It first shades a panel and then moves to a second one. First photo taken at 15:15 and second one an hour later. But i dont think this may be the main issue.....becuase i see poor production before any shades and peak production (going by pvoutput.org) is before that time of the day (this time of the year).

By the way, I am planning to move the tv aerial behind the chimney so at least that one doesnt cast any shades.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 5
In a separate thread here I asked for advise whether or not to stick two Tigo optimizers in those two panels but the majority of opinions were against it.

This one here. Solis 5kW S6 2MPPT one phase - DC Inverter
Do you know if both MPPT inputs are connected? Your installer might have hooked the three panels that get chimney shade into MPPT1 and the other seven into MPPT2. That way one shaded panel wouldn't drag down all 10. Seems like you'd see "DC Voltage Pv2 (V)" and such in the data log, though.

If your 10 panels are in one series string you have a problem as the voltage is too low. You should be seeing 300 volts, not 100.

Back