diy solar

diy solar

Getting 36 used PV panels, looking for input on how to set them up far from the main PV equipment

I'm 99% positive they do but I can't find the post where someone confirmed it.
I don't have any sun to test it now, pending when I get home from work tomorrow I'll test it and report back.
@Kenny_ @Lighthouse Beacon @marionw @nickj @G00SE have any of you tested it?
(sorry whoever I forgot to ping 😂)
Correct, with the inverter off (switch on bottom right, not the breaker on left side) will it still charge batteries from solar?
Yes it will still charge your batteries but you won't have any inverter functionality it's just an MPPT at this point. I've ran sun to utilities ( no batts ) MIX LOD, sun only ( no batts ) (no grid), and sun grid batts, all work great. I still believe for the price point these machines are incredible

This got me thinking about my inverters,
I can't take the 6048's off line to try this, but I did test the MPP 1012 and the MPP 2724 and both of these charge the battery with the inverter switched off when connected to battery and PV.

edit: contacted MPP Solar and asked about the new "12k" 10kW inverter - they confirmed this inverter will charge batteries from PV with the inverting function off.

Last edited:
I figured, why not just ask MPP-Solar if their new inverter can charge batteries from solar, while the rocker switch is off. - See what they say, and report back.
I wrote to MPP Solar to ask if the new 10kW inverter can charge connected battery from connected PV solar while the Inverter itself is switched off. MPP confirmed "yes" the new inverter if connected to batteries and PV panels will charge even while the inverter is not in AC-inverting mode. Although they seemed confused why I would want to know this.

Options so far:
Get dedicated EG4 SCC x 2 $399 each (plus tax and ship) VOC limit is 500v 5500W each
Get an AIO inverter that will charge batteries from PV while "off" (not inverting AC) 10kSRNE, new MPP 12k (10k output) Megarow, PowMR etc: these options have the side-benefit of providing a back up inverter if you need, actually they could be tied to the AC-in of the current ones and run like pass-thru to the existing system easily enough.
The AIO approach will cost more than the dedicated SCC, but has redundancy as it's benefit. more research.

Back