diy solar

diy solar

Getting 36 used PV panels, looking for input on how to set them up far from the main PV equipment

They can't be sending these out without the updates done for the customer?! wouldn't that just result in flooding the service staff with calls for the same problem over and over?

Newer units might not need the firmware update. Early units had the code setting. I looked around on the web and most just turned the alarm off and used the unit. The code would only set in low light in the evening and when it booted back up the next day, it would function normally.

Wow, after the SS/EG4 6500's and then issues with the EG4 SCC's, you have been through a rough one. Glad to hear these SCC are going strong since the update.
The experience would not have been that bad if support at SS had any idea what they were doing. I think now that EG4 has taken over technical support, things have changed.

I am very happy and satisfied with these charge controllers. I might add a Smartshunt on output to batteries to log daily PV yield. It isn't needed, I can compute off battery charge during the day and PV covering loads during the day.

I don't have any experience with the EG4 MPPTs.
For the price of just the MPPT I'd spend a little more and buy a 'budget' AIO or 2...
You can likely get a 230VAC version for the same price as the mppt. Here's a used one cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/PowMr-Inverter-220-230V-Controller-Lead-Acid/dp/B0BW3TD4QB

Edit - didn't read your latest reply before posting.
The biggest drawback of any AIO used for the SCC is idle power if it won't charge with the inverter off. My Growatt in my truck camper will charge with the inverter off for example.

If the PowMr does charge with the inverter off, then it might be a good choice but new units like that model are $499. Are those the same as the 5Kw SRNE?

The biggest drawback of any AIO used for the SCC is idle power if it won't charge with the inverter off. My Growatt in my truck camper will charge with the inverter off for example.
Agreed idle consumption could be an issue.
If the PowMr does charge with the inverter off, then it might be a good choice but new units like that model are $499. Are those the same as the 5Kw SRNE?
I think they are the same as the SRNE HF series.

Reactions: Zwy
Do the 10 Kw SRNE charge with the inverter off?
I'm 99% positive they do but I can't find the post where someone confirmed it.
I don't have any sun to test it now, pending when I get home from work tomorrow I'll test it and report back.
@Kenny_ @Lighthouse Beacon @marionw @nickj @G00SE have any of you tested it?
(sorry whoever I forgot to ping 😂)

A pair of 18Kpv or Solark 15K?

Both have bugs/features I don't need. I just need something that produces power without internet connectivity (have what I need with SA), allows full access to all settings, doesn't need battery communication, doesn't need to grid tie. It just needs to power high surge loads and not consume many watts when idling.
My thinking exactly, I don't need a bunch of grid-interactive features, and don't want to pay for those un-used features. Just SA working through my LAN - non-internet connected so I can see the status/make changes from my home next door, or on my phone while in the yard/near the shop.
Not going to drop $10k for a pair of 10k inverters.

Edit: using an AIO that can charge (ie remains a SCC) while "off" is an interesting idea. Even though these would cost more than a dedicated EG4 SCC, it would also be a back up inverter, just by switching it on, while avoiding the idle current. Interesting idea.

Edit: using an AIO that can charge (ie remains a SCC) while "off" is an interesting idea. Even though these would cost more than a dedicated EG4 SCC, it would also be a back up inverter, just by switching it on, while avoiding the idle current. Interesting idea.
It would also allow a great way to power large dump loads when you have excess power without putting a strain on your current system.

If I read the EG4 manual correctly, this is limited to 5500W
so even if the PV panels are degraded, they will be too much for a single EG4.

I see Midnight Solar have a 600v 30A model. This should be able to carry the whole 36 panels.
Using 500v would be 16.56A, and a single pair of #8 AWG would carry the whole array.
I have to get the manual and see what the limits are, research is the least expensive part of the process.
uhh he said a pair of them
and 9 a string
and to parallel 2 strings
230*9 = 2070 watts
2 strings = 4140 watts
that's ~333 volts and ~16 amps per 1 set of wires coming back from the panels
with 2 mppts total and 18 panels per one

exactly how I've had mine setup for almost a year now.
also using 10 gauge wire, no reason for 8 imo

Because even in the winter I never got over 300volts I was thinking of doing 10 a string when I do permanent ground

I'm 99% positive they do but I can't find the post where someone confirmed it.
I don't have any sun to test it now, pending when I get home from work tomorrow I'll test it and report back.
@Kenny_ @Lighthouse Beacon @marionw @nickj @G00SE have any of you tested it?
(sorry whoever I forgot to ping 😂)
Lighthouse Post in thread 'SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER ??'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sungold-10kw-48v-split-phase-solar-inverter.70766/post-907603
Post in thread '3 MWh SRNE ASF48100U200-H 10kw.'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/3-mwh-srne-asf48100u200-h-10kw.67809/post-908159

Also what I have, haven't seen that around the forums
I have two https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-3kw-off-grid-inverter-3000ehv-48/
hooked to batteries, only 1 is on
I plan to get the 6000XP which sadly came out like 2 months after I got these lol
I have one of these off and it turns on when PV comes in charges batteries then turns off when no PV

When I draw past the 18 panels of inverter 1 it'll bring down it's battery voltage reading and the display shows it's "pulling from battery" but as I've been reading the battery isn't being used, the other inverter is being used at that point and it's usually 0.1 - 0.3 volts higher on it's "battery reading" when the first inverter has a large load on it.
So it works as you'd expect, due to supplying higher voltage than the battery, the second inverter is being drawn from.

When I get the 6000XP I plan to just buy more panels and keep these with their 18 panels each.. (maybe put 20 on them)
both of the 3000EHV will be turned "off" and only used for charging the battery bus bar in which case the other inverters can draw from them

uhh he said a pair of them
yes, he did. But I was trying to figure out a cheap way out, like getting just one unit to do the SCC job, but that will not likely work.
Unless I go with @Hedges idea, split the array into 18 each, and point them different directions, like East and West or SE and SW and check the angles, etc. But this is not looking like a great option for my application really.

What do you mean by "
when I do permanent ground
?

Lol I completely forgot about that test. Maybe I did test charging from solar with inverter off and don't remember. I need to start writing more stuff down, I'm screwed when I get younger.

yes, he did. But I was trying to figure out a cheap way out, like getting just one unit to do the SCC job, but that will not likely work.
yea I'd do the 2, you can buy these yellow 3000ehv ones used for pretty cheap now everyone getting rid of it
I thought about doing that too but I like the idea of just keeping them for my panels and getting better panels with my new inverters when I do that in a year or w/e

few others I've seen. I assume we'll keep seeing them go up for sale while people get these 6000XP

my panels are laying on the ground right now. I mean when I build an actual ground mount lol

Maybe someone with a SRNE can do a test today and let us know, the suspense is killing me!
Since we have been discussing the new "10k" MPP dropped (in another thread) I figured, why not just ask MPP-Solar if their new inverter can charge batteries from solar, while the rocker switch is off. - See what they say, and report back.

Back