diy solar

diy solar

Anybody own a diesel PHEV in the USA?

You think it's political because you lack the technical skills to understand why it's that way even though it was explained it succinctly to you.

There is no efficiency to be gained by using the onboard engine to charge the battery. That uses more gasoline than just driving the wheels with the engine. So many of you guys fail to understand this basic premise.

The vehicle is still allowed to function as a regular hybrid so that means energy gets recovered on braking which can then be used to accelerate the vehicle.

So we have our resident expert here. Ok boss.
Somehow Toyota has figured this out 10+ years ago, yet here you are arguing. And then ignoring anything that does not align with your narrative. Reminds me of someone else here....

The Clarity is a plug-in hybrid.

The "tech" you speak of is nothing more than increased battery capacity and the ability to charge this battery off the grid. Highly sophisticated stuff I know.... that "tech".

Niche product, you always confuse chickens and ducks.
Neither Honda, nor Toyota are doing plug in (that requires separate charging) hybrids as their mainstream products. (A quick search reveals that clarity PHEV has been canned)

Last edited:
Niche product, you always confuse chickens and ducks.
Neither Honda, nor Toyota are doing plug in (that requires separate charging) hybrids as their mainstream products. (A quick search reveals that clarity PHEV has been canned)

What is your point?

Somehow Toyota has figured this out 10+ years ago, yet here you are arguing. And then ignoring anything that does not align with your narrative. Reminds me of someone else here....

Figured what out?

Your responses are all emotions and have literally zero technical information in them. It's like listening to an irrational women.

I don't work on narratives, I work on the technical facts.

You and liberals work on narratives. That's why your posts contain no technical information that would demonstrate you actually understand what it is you're talking about.

I feel like you're an @MurphyGuy reincarnate.

Figured what out?

Your responses are all emotions and have literally zero technical information in them. It's like listening to an irrational women.
What is your point?

And yours are overflowing with fine technical detail. /s
For a guy who works of technical facts, you display quite a lot of ignorance (or simply you dont know because you did not research enough - i am also amazed at how you dont believe the govt on some things (like vaxx) but you are totally onboard with other govt bs, irregardless that even you admit that govt has been lying to us since forever)
The point is that nobody wants PHEVs that require to be plugged in to charge the battery, because the whole thing is beyond stupid in the practical world. It is a limitation designed in for political reasons. There is absolutely no technical reason why something like the new BMW's which combine a powerful gas engine with an electric motor (with electric motor alone capable of driving up to 80 miles on battery alone) but requiring PLUG IN to charge the battery, when the gas engine can easily complement the recharging.

You did not watch the video there is a mode that allows Prime to recharge the batteries while driving.

It does not allow the battery to be fully recharged off the engine.

All hybrids allow the engine to charge the battery to a certain level to maintain vehicle performance and keep things that run off the hybrid battery operational.

It does not allow the battery to be fully recharged off the engine.

All hybrids allow the engine to charge the battery to a certain level to maintain vehicle performance and keep things that run off the hybrid battery operational.
Sue Toyota and the video makers. 🤣😀🤡

This is about you @Checkthisout

Have you ever seen a news story about something you yourself have gone through? Or read a magazine article about a subject you happen to be familiar with? If so, then you've likely experienced what most people have felt in that situation: anger and bemusement.

"How could that idiot reporter bungle the story so badly?! This isn't accurate at all!"

As it turns out, journalists often get the most basic facts of the story wrong and freelancers on a deadline tend to falter when they have to summarize in a few paragraphs what others have spent decades researching.

This isn't surprising. In fact, it's to be expected. After all, overworked "reporters" and freelance writers usually aren't experts in whatever arcane subject their editor has assigned them this week. They're just being paid to churn out some copy on a given subject before moving on to the next piece.

Now, here's what is surprising: directly after reading this inaccurate, error-riddled report that we know to be seriously flawed, we flip the page, proceed to the next story, forget that these reporters are idiots, and go on more or less taking what we're reading at face value.

Did you know that this strange amnesia that we all experience—this act of forgetting that allows us to believe what we're reading so long as it's not in our wheelhouse—has a name? Well, it does!

And have you ever considered how this phenomenon has been weaponized by the powers-that-shouldn't-be to get us to believe in nonsense and absurdity? Well, you should!

And have you ever pondered how we can escape this trap? Well, I have!

So, today let's explore the Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect!

And yours are overflowing with fine technical detail. /s
For a guy who works of technical facts, you display quite a lot of ignorance (or simply you dont know because you did not research enough - i am also amazed at how you dont believe the govt on some things (like vaxx) but you are totally onboard with other govt bs, irregardless that even you admit that govt has been lying to us since forever)
The point is that nobody wants PHEVs that require to be plugged in to charge the battery, because the whole thing is beyond stupid in the practical world. It is a limitation designed in for political reasons. There is absolutely no technical reason why something like the new BMW's which combine a powerful gas engine with an electric motor (with electric motor alone capable of driving up to 80 miles on battery alone) but requiring PLUG IN to charge the battery, when the gas engine can easily complement the recharging.

Around in circles we go. You lack the technical skills to understand this wastes fuel and serves no purpose when you can just drive the vehicle using the gas engine.

Using the gas engine to charge the battery and then using the energy out of the battery to drive the vehicle would consume more fuel than just driving off the gas engine.

I'm not sure how to explain it better than that. The reason is technical (which you don't understand) not politcal.

This is about you @Checkthisout

Have you ever seen a news story about something you yourself have gone through? Or read a magazine article about a subject you happen to be familiar with? If so, then you've likely experienced what most people have felt in that situation: anger and bemusement.

"How could that idiot reporter bungle the story so badly?! This isn't accurate at all!"

As it turns out, journalists often get the most basic facts of the story wrong and freelancers on a deadline tend to falter when they have to summarize in a few paragraphs what others have spent decades researching.

This isn't surprising. In fact, it's to be expected. After all, overworked "reporters" and freelance writers usually aren't experts in whatever arcane subject their editor has assigned them this week. They're just being paid to churn out some copy on a given subject before moving on to the next piece.

Now, here's what is surprising: directly after reading this inaccurate, error-riddled report that we know to be seriously flawed, we flip the page, proceed to the next story, forget that these reporters are idiots, and go on more or less taking what we're reading at face value.

Did you know that this strange amnesia that we all experience—this act of forgetting that allows us to believe what we're reading so long as it's not in our wheelhouse—has a name? Well, it does!

And have you ever considered how this phenomenon has been weaponized by the powers-that-shouldn't-be to get us to believe in nonsense and absurdity? Well, you should!

And have you ever pondered how we can escape this trap? Well, I have!

So, today let's explore the Gell-Mann Amnesia political.
Oh look, more copy-and-paste.

Around in circles we go. You lack the technical skills to understand this wastes fuel and serves no purpose when you can just drive the vehicle using the gas engine.

Using the gas engine to charge the battery and then using the energy out of the battery to drive the vehicle would consume more fuel than just driving off the gas engine.

I'm not sure how to explain it better than that. The reason is technical (which you don't understand) not politcal.

Chickens and ducks again.
There is the convenience factor and you seem to be forgetting that we are talking about a parallel PHEV (like a prius).

Chickens and ducks again.
There is the convenience factor and you seem to be forgetting that we are talking about a parallel PHEV (like a prius).

Ok.

So explain how you think the prius phev works then let's discuss the pros and cons of engine charging vs plug-in charging.

For what?
go to ~17:00 mark to learn how this system works… The Rav4 Prime has an onboard charge mode
Post in thread 'Anybody own a diesel PHEV in the USA?'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/anybody-own-a-diesel-phev-in-the-usa.76407/post-990294

Another video discussing the Prime unique advatage to charge while driving. Normal PHEV are dead ducks after battery discharge until plugged up. Normal hybrids don’t have much power to do an EV mode due to battery size and motors.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/anybody-own-a-diesel-phev-in-the-usa.76407/post-990594

go to ~17:00 mark to learn how this system works… The Rav4 Prime has an onboard charge mode
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/anybody-own-a-diesel-phev-in-the-usa.76407/post-990294

Another video discussing the Prime unique advatage to charge while driving. Normal PHEV are dead ducks after battery discharge until plugged up. Normal hybrids don’t have much power to do an EV mode due to battery size and motors.
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/anybody-own-a-diesel-phev-in-the-usa.76407/post-990594

What percentage do they allow the battery to be charged to by the engine?

What percentage do they allow the battery to be charged to by the engine?
I don’t know and It doesn’t matter…. For the point that it does have charge mode for the batteries whereas normal phev do not. Does it use energy and power to recharge - yes. The combined range is stated at ~500+ miles with Prime due to this ability. Whereas a PHEV would have to be plug charged.

I don’t know and It doesn’t matter…. For the point that it does have charge mode for the batteries whereas normal phev do not. Does it use energy and power to recharge - yes. The combined range is stated at ~500+ miles with Prime due to this ability. Whereas a PHEV would have to be plug charged.

What point are you trying to make?

Why do you care if you can charge the battery off the engine or not?

Yes, this allows for increased range if only fuel is available I.E. fill up the fuel tank, charge the battery to 80% then go and and top off the fuel tank again.

Yet, what the hell is the point of buying a plug-in hybrid and never plugging it in?

Yet, what the hell is the point of buying a plug-in hybrid and never plugging it in?

I think its obvious.
The flexibility of having a plug in option to charge overnight to save on fuel (and use the battery for short errands during the day)
while at the same time
having the flexibility for gas engine to recharge the battery so that the car maintains is full hybrid drive for more power/having the battery topped off during highway cruise.

Back