diy solar

diy solar

Anyone know a RS-232 driver for windows 10?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Trying to get my laptop to talk with my MPP Solar PIP 3k for a firmware update. I downloaded a driver last night that required .NET, downloaded & installed that & the driver never recognized it was installed. Just kept saying to install in. Not even sure that was the correct driver. Most say RS-232 to usb, I don't need it to connect to usb. the PIP is using a cat5 as a RS-232.

It uses a cat5 on both
The only CAT5 (RJ45) connection on a normal PC is a network card. You will not get RS-232 on a network card. RS-232 would normally be on an old style DB-9 or in today's world USB adapter to DB-9 is common. I see some DB-9 to RJ45 (Ethernet type plug) on Amazon.

On the AIO a cat5 (RJ45) plugs in perfect to a port called RS-232.

The wifi unit has a typical looking RS-232 on it that plugs to RJ45 (thats called RS-232) on the AIO.

But what I need is RJ45 to USB using the RS-232 com standard? Is that the DB-9 to RJ45?

You need something like this:

icusb232.main.jpg

Search for USB/RS-232 adapter. You can use the same cable as used between the Wifi unit and the MPP.

To use that I would need that connection on my laptop. This is where this get wanky. The AIO is calling a RJ45 a RS-232. So I need USB to RJ45 that uses the RS-232 communication standard. I'm guessing.

I don't know if there is a standard pinout for RS-232 on an RJ45 or not. I see several db9 to rj45 cables on Amazon. Without knowing the pinout used by the AIO, there is no way to know if it would work or not.

MPP Solar PDF. More MPP info

Think this is it

This is the wifi unit you have, no?

WIFI.jpg

It's got a RS232 connector where a cable goes in that connects to the MPP, yes?

Take the cable off from here, attach it to the USB to RS-232 converter I mentioned.

Okay I get it. I thought that but then I was like thats a lotta connections. I might even be able to get that one in town.

Cool! Love you guys!

You need something like this:

icusb232.main.jpg

Search for USB/RS-232 adapter. You can use the same cable as used between the Wifi unit and the MPP.
I use this on my old Morningstar MPPT 60 to plug into an old win95 netbook for programming. Controller is RS232, Netbook has the USB.
Love old stuff that still works. Although I recently had to buy a new charger brick for the laptop.

Best of luck with your new cable adapters.

Back