diy solar

diy solar

Anyone know why Victron is not pursuing residential in the US?

MrDan

Same question as the title: anyone know why Victron is not pursuing the US residential market?

Built a system for camper/RV, wondering why they don’t seem to want to get in the residential game here where I live.

Same question as the title: anyone know why Victron is not pursuing the US residential market?

Built a system for camper/RV, wondering why they don’t seem to want to get in the residential game here where I live.
I've seen lots of people use Victron in the US on homes. Some of their products are not UL 1741 though.

I really wish they would. I would think they just don't want to deal with the regulatory nightmares. But then I think to myself, they are from the Netherlands, how much worse can it be over here? Then I try to find all the rules for solar in just my city, and I realize, worse, possibly much worse.

I'm not sure why; maybe they want to keep business closer to home in Europe. They certainly limit their offerings in the 120V-capable space probably due to that focus.

I think it probably depends on the installer/area you're in, because I was considering them (still kinda am, but they're in third place) for my place in Sint Maarten (US 120V/60Hz power, but 3-phase) and one of the big draws was the fact that three installers are on the island, so support was awesome. But 120V options are limited - only Quattro up to 10K (no 15K, and no 8K, which is what I would prefer), and no Multiplus with 48V and over 5K.

I think the support for UL 1741 is a biggie though, as ncsolarelectric mentioned; I'd bet that many installers want a product that is approved to backfeed the grid, so many installers probably go more for a company like Sol-Ark. So more DIY'ers and less popular for the regulatory reasons... look on YouTube for "Victron" and you'll see a LOT of installs!

actually rules here, and the eu in general are very very strickt, however, once approval.has been given its valid over whole of world, except the us.

us requires complete recertification, which is extremely expensive, especially for non us companies.

almost as if there is us market protection going on ;)

actually rules here, and the eu in general are very very strickt, however, once approval.has been given its valid over whole of world, except the us.

us requires complete recertification, which is extremely expensive, especially for non us companies.

almost as if there is us market protection going on ;)

I'm betting on this. And our whole 120/240 split phase thing certainly doesn't help.

I think the support for UL 1741 is a biggie though, as ncsolarelectric mentioned; I'd bet that many installers want a product that is approved to backfeed the grid, so many installers probably go more for a company like Sol-Ark. So more DIY'ers and less popular for the regulatory reasons... look on YouTube for "Victron" and you'll see a LOT of installs!

Yes, lots of love for Victron on youtube. Unfortunately, many of those off grid installs in the middle of nowhere are still probably against local county/city code, need permits and inspections and kill any homeowners insurance they might have. There just isn't anybody that is likely to bother them about it until/unless something bad happens.

I have a dual 120v inverter system running in 240v mode along with the auto transformer and it works well. My system will eventually make it into an RV but it’s been a good training platform for me. I do wish they would offer more for residential installs in the US, their stuff seems fairly user friendly to me.

I have a dual 120v inverter system running in 240v mode along with the auto transformer and it works well. My system will eventually make it into an RV but it’s been a good training platform for me. I do wish they would offer more for residential installs in the US, their stuff seems fairly user friendly to me.
User friendly and really pretty.. lol. They are like the Apple of the solar world.

I don’t have experience yet with any other brand to make a comparison at this point in time.

I don’t have experience yet with any other brand to make a comparison at this point in time.
Trust your gut. Do a google image search for solar inverters or solar mppt controllers and tell me how many others are as pretty as the Victron. :LOL:

Back