diy solar

diy solar

Anyone Running A AC Unit From A Modified Sinewave Inverter

"For the folks that read this and think "jeepers, just run the generator","
The've probably never camped beside someone who runs their generator all day long.
I liked that. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. They come pretty infrequently these days.
I think I paid around $700 for this msw inverter back then. Now you can get a nice psw inverter for that, maybe less.

My 2000w GoPower sine wave starts and runs my 15 yo 13.5 Dometic A/C just a smooth as utility power.
Some modified wave inverters are better than others. TrippLite is probably better than most if you insist on avoiding sine wave.

I suspect if once the motor was running, you could shorten the duty cycle of the modified sine wave and the motor would be quite happy with it. They have sold phase triggered devices that reduce motor running costs by reducing the sine wave on time.

I did a search for "pure sine wave inverter" and found a 4000/2000 for $309 and a 5000/2500 for $329 both 12-volt models. 24-volt models appear to be the same price.
They're not a name I recognize (not surprising as I'm new in the game) but they appear to have pretty good reviews.
For that price, I should probably buy the bigger one and use my giant antique Heart Interface msw as a backup.

I bought a 2000W pure sine wave inverter for less than $300 and it runs my AC in my truck camper. Granted, I rarely use my AC. If it's hot enough to use the AC, it's time to go where it isn't so hot.

Hi, Just curious….What kind of truck camper? As well as AC? (Is it a portable AC or the usual preinstalled AC unit? and if so what are the AC details (make, BTU, power (v,w,a - etc) Asking because I’ve heard mixed things regarding running AC on an inverter…tia!

I bought a 2000W pure sine wave inverter for less than $300 and it runs my AC in my truck camper. Granted, I rarely use my AC. If it's hot enough to use the AC, it's time to go where it isn't so hot.
Or find some utility power.

Sometimes it would be nice to run the air a couple hours into the evening to take the edge off before sleep. Possibly as much as one full night if in transit in the heat.

Back