diy solar

diy solar

Aosmith hybrid water heaters wasted $

Swheeler

I've had to replace new ao smith hybrid water heater 3 times in last couple years due to ECC compressor fail code. The 3rd time they stopped paying for labor, so I owe plumber $450.
I could put it in myself, but they want it done by certified person. Otherwise they won't even cover the warranty. I was told that they had problems with earlier serial number units and new one should work. 2nd new unit failed. I talked to 4 people at ao smith on phone for 2 hours. Finally their boss called me 2 days later. He basically said it is what it is...
I feel like they are definitely quantity over quality!!!
I'm starting a case with better business bureau incase 3rd heater fails... I don't mind a lemon, I just want AOsmith to help me eat it...
Just wanted to share my AOsmith experience.

You scoundrel! Look at my Home Depot shopping cart. Literally seconds away from pulling the trigger on a HP water heater. I bet I have had one these in my shopping cart 10 times in the last 4 years but I keep seeing stories like yours and get cold feet.

Thanks for sharing and sorry about your luck.

1670772080784.png

I'm going with split unit. And just getting the outdoor unit. Will be circulating the hot water through my existing gas water heater. And the gas will be my backup.
That would be ideal. Those were the original HP water heaters, we would specify them for things like commercial kitchens, pull some heat out of the kitchen to heat the water. I've not seen them ~readily ~ available for a long time but I haven't looked recently. Link?

That would be ideal. Those were the original HP water heaters, we would specify them for things like commercial kitchens, pull some heat out of the kitchen to heat the water. I've not seen them ~readily ~ available for a long time but I haven't looked recently. Link?

Rheem has two brand new models that run on 120v that should fit the bill. Rheem ProTerra Hybrid Electric uses less energy to operate than a classic 100 Watt incandescent light bulb
Would be great for solar power maybe

or this one with a cord

My existing water heater is in an attic space.
I'd rather not put a regular heat pump water heater in there. And moving it isn't an easy option.

Seems to me using a heat pump is a complex solution to a simple task.
Efficient maybe, but expensive and more to go wrong. And expensive to repair.

Is there something wrong with more solar (if possible) and a simple heating element(s) water heater, and using small point of use H2O heaters?

Is there something wrong with more solar (if possible) and a simple heating element(s) water heater?
Space for panels at the very least.

Is there something wrong with more solar (if possible) and a simple heating element(s) water heater?
Nothing wrong with that, at all.
It's just an efficiency thing.

I get that heat pumps are more efficient than a heating element, but dependability?
Efficiency is useless if dependability is not there. But maybe that’s just me.
And do they need to be serviced regularly?
No servicing needed, other than cleaning occasionally. Leaves or other debris.
Mine will be mounted on a wall. Should be no debris.

I get that heat pumps are more efficient than a heating element, but dependability?
And do they need to be serviced regularly?
That's an important point to *not* lose site of.

Many ultra efficient products never pay themselves by the time you factor all of the life cycle costs. In fact some are even net negative. Small wind turbines are one of my favorite examples. They will cost you more money to install and maintain then they will ever save you.

I've been watching the HP water heaters closely for years and based on the reviews they've had a lot of issues. The OP is closer to the norm than the exception.

But the world is REALLY in love with heat pumps nowadays. It's all about getting the carbon out of energy sources. In my case I'm down to the same cost as a standard water heater after my utility rebate and the federal tax credit.

Last edited:
Yup
Between the utility rebate, tax credit, and running it on solar. I'll be fine with just breaking even. Additional solar is not an issue. I just don't want to increase battery drain. Which is why I want heat pumps.

I question the real environmental footprint of any high efficiency device if it breaks and needs repair.
Yes, but when you get one that lasts years, the economics are compelling. My payback on the one that failed in five years was only three years. So even it paid for itself before it failed. The others that lasted longer are still going strong. My payback was based on high California rates. Your mileage may vary but even the EPA tag shows significant lifetime savings. My goal was economics and environmental footprint was secondary.

My gas bill is $8/month. That's water heater and stove. Of course, we don't have kids taking lots of showers and getting lots of clothes dirt.
(Calculate savings compared to THAT!)

My last Kenmore gas water heater came with the house, lasted an additional 21 years.
I blame its demise on a braided hose I installed, which rusted at the crimp, leaked and dripped water over outside of tank.
I'm using bendable stainless now.

"Lasts years" sounds like a fluke, failure of planned obsolescence.
Some compressor based systems do last decades (some of my refrigerators), but I don't think most consumer products today can.

I question the real environmental footprint of any high efficiency device if it breaks and needs repair.

Replacement parts have carbon footprints too, requiring energy and resources to be made. And then there’s the broken parts off to the landfill…
And the service tech trip, parts delivery etc.

Besides, we now have too much rooftop PV, and the power exported to grid is not wanted.
Let's just connect a $2 pager and relay to enable second water heater thermostat set for higher temperature.
When surplus power is available, PG&E can tell loads to consume it. That will reduce water heating loads during times of peak demand.

diy solar

diy solar
Back