diy solar

diy solar

Aosmith hybrid water heaters wasted $

So the $1750 for a hw heater is for all income levels, everybody gets it regardless of income level?
some sites report it that way, others suggest income level. It’s as clear as mud the more I look at it!
Even at 150% of median income for your particular area it would be a 50% credit of total cost including installation at worst. You claim the credit when filing your 2023 federal income tax return.

Last edited:
Federal?

I find mention of $3800 from CPUC, but haven't found documents yet.
It does say you have to hand over the keys:

Have you seen any more info on this?
I couldn't find application process or incentive requirements, approved products, nothing much past the headline, $3800 per and $40million total.

Nor can I. Seemed like something approved or moved forward a few months ago. Let us know if you do.
I like free money, but not cans of worms or handing over the reins, or keys to my kingdom.

$40M / $4k = 10,000. For a state with perhaps 10M homes? Drop in the bucket, and it could be gone in a flash. Although, the idea may be to incentivize installers to recommend a free water heater when someone needs a replacement. If a generous once per 20 years, could still be gone in 1/50th of a year, 7 days.

I think you might have to give up some control for free money.

"To receive incentives, the HPWH systems must be designed, installed, and operated in a manner that shifts electricity use from peak to off-peak periods and reduces GHG emissions. To achieve these benefits, the incentive program requires using a “thermostatic mixing valve” that allows pre-heating of water during off peak hours when electricity use is low. This is the “energy storage” function of HPWHs. Customers receiving these incentives must enroll in a demand response program where they agree to reduce their electricity use for a brief time during a severe heatwave or other grid emergency."

Source:

I was looking at one of these from AltE it just requires a dry contact relay to engage a higher water temp threshold. Meaning it would hold a minimum temp overnight and when I have extra solar generation available, I could close the contact and engage a higher temp threshold to heat the water higher with solar.
I doubt that would count for their requirements.

This sounds like an honor system similar to the CPUC’s incentives for adding battery storage to solar.

This sounds like an honor system similar to the CPUC’s incentives for adding battery storage to solar.
Are you talking about SGIP? I'm looking into that now.

You should see their approved equipment list for battery storage, it's quite short.

i just installed the rheem one from HD and so far it uses a lot less power than my old 80 gallon but i get maybe 2 showers now before its empty and back to sucking all the heat from my basement, ive had to turn the heat up to compensate as it quite literally turns the basement into a fridge. Im going to look into modifying it to outside air with a pre charge heating system of some sort.

Precharge heating from that hot water you pour own the drain?

How-about reverse flow heat exchanger, drain water preheats cold water going to shower? And either before or after that, preheats cold water going into water heater?

Solar batch pre-heat I've read is practical and effective.

So, you went from a larger tank higher instant output water heater to a smaller tank slower water heater. I guess the outcome doesn't surprise me.

The gas one probably has a 130 gallon first hour rating vs something like 75 for the heat pump.
So, yeah it's rated to output less hot water in the first hour. About half.

This is why I'm looking to go from the current 50 gallon standard up to an 80 gallon heat pump, if I do it.

I use a water mixing valve on my 30 gallon tank. I keep the tank at 145, and set the outlet temp at the mixing valve to 112 and the tank literally NEVER runs out of hot water.

The mixing valve prevents much cold water from entering the tank, and regulates the temp before it enters my plumbing, so I never have to turn on cold water to shower. I bet you could do the same for the hp tank. They sell the valves in a kit marketed as a water saver, or tank expander. About $75

diy solar

diy solar
Back