diy solar

diy solar

APSystems - Grid-Tied - Multi Array w/ Battery

Dfw4983

My goal with my solar panels is to create a grid-tied system that is as environmentally friendly as practicable at a reasonable price. DIY covers the price. But I need some help ensuring I get some of the not-quite-basics right.

Otherwise hopefully a fairly simple answer for what is about to be a long post. I have 5 panels connected to an APSystems QS1 (2 in parallel). These are 250 watt panels that are older and produce about 190-210 watts each. Highest total return I've seen is ~1000 watts peak summer. 3 are East and 2 are South facing on one flat roof.

I want to expand my current system with 6 500 watt panels, 3 APSystems DS3 inverters, in 2 additional arrays. 4 on my currently empty east facing sloped roof, and 2 on my south facing patio (may expand to 4 later). All in that is 11 panels with a max of ~4000 watts. I also want to add a battery and controller for a partial backup (negotiable on this)

Current Situation:
5 250 watt panels (old)
~1000 watts max
1 QS1 inverter

Want:
6 panels 500 watts each
3000 watts max
3 DS3
Battery Backup

The quirk is that I have an old house and running new electrical lines is impractical. I've read that I could (I think) use a PV Distributor to isolate the solar array from the primary use of the electrical line. i.e. I have yard lights and outdoor plugs on a single circuit that run all the way to my patio. I want to extend that line to the patio roof, add a PV distributor, and put 2 panels up there (probably expand to 4 panels in the future).

Similar in the attic. I have a dedicated line for the gas boiler (soon to be upgraded to electric boiler). I want to divert the line to the roof array, add the battery system, and plug in the electric boiler to the battery controller so it is a partial backup. No lights or fridge, but I'll be warm.

The 3rd array has a dedicated line.

Other notes:
I'll probably use 12 gauge wire as that's what most of the house is wired with already.
Also, I'm in the Netherlands. So everything is already 240w. And also why running new wire is hard - everything is brick and concrete.

Questions:
Are there any issues with having 3 separate solar array lines running from various parts to the main switchboard?
Will the controller charge the battery from the 2 arrays that aren't directly connected?
Is there a recommended battery for use with APSystems DS3s/QS1?
Is there a recommended controller for use with APSystems DS3s/QS1?
I've seen 40amp PV Distributor, will that do it? Is this smart or dumb?
I need to upgrade my switchboard to a 3-phase system eventually for other home upgrades. Any additional headaches I'm not aware of?

Thoughts? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Attachments

• DM505M10-66HSW-V-EN.pdf
    848.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 4303005202_APsystems-Microinverter-DS3-Series-For-North-America-Datasheet_-Rev1.6_2022-10-27.pdf
    335.2 KB · Views: 4
I can just add that the battery charging will need to be AC-coupled since the microinverters output AC "from the roof". So you could just use any power supply that can output the correct voltage for the battery and have your BMS handle the safety aspects of LVC and HVC. Charge throttling will need to be handled somehow and, ideally, you want to charge with just the "surplus" solar power -- but this changes by the second as solar output and demand load changes.

Also APsystems does *not* support DIY use of their products!

Are you able to get any official warranty from them?

Thanks for following up. I'm aware that APSystems doesn't like DIY. I'm working on that. I'm not sure why they are anti-DIY. Their inverters are pretty much plug and play.

I'm looking into the Victron Multiplus to be the AC-coupled charge controller for the batteries. However, I'm still working through the research for which Multiplus I'll need to meet my needs (and be ready for more panels). I'm also working on which batteries as well.

Have a nice day,

Attachments

• Datasheet-MultiPlus-inverter-charger--800VA-5kVA-EN-.pdf
    457 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for following up. I'm aware that APSystems doesn't like DIY. I'm working on that. I'm not sure why they are anti-DIY. Their inverters are pretty much plug and play.

I'm looking into the Victron Multiplus to be the AC-coupled charge controller for the batteries. However, I'm still working through the research for which Multiplus I'll need to meet my needs (and be ready for more panels). I'm also working on which batteries as well.

Have a nice day,
Are you able to register for the full 25-year warranty on each APS unit? That is huge. With so many units, the chances of one failing actually increase by statistics alone. I'm fine with no support as there is plenty of it online and they're mostly plug & play as you say.

Back