diy solar

diy solar

Are there any high voltage (300-400VDC) mppt controllers?

It looks like Sandi also makes an MPPT controller that will work well. Now I just need to figure out how to buy one.
ipanda makes high voltage MPPT controllers also that will work with the Sandi high voltage inverters... I am also starting to look at this..
Jack Rickard was starting to go the high voltage route with a high voltage battery and high voltage inverter .....
someone else may have already talked of these from ipanda >>>> the galaxy line of MPPT solar PV controllers...
Mike G has some youtube videos in May/June 2022 of his systems...high voltage

Last edited:
Overview

Quick Details
Place of Origin:
Guangdong, China
Brand Name:
Ipanda
Model Number:
Galaxy-B384
Type:
MPPT
Application:
Charger Controller, Solar Working Station, Voltage Controller, Solar System Controller
Max PV Power:
33kw
Max PV Voltage:
850v
Certificate:
CE FCC ROHS
Warranty:
2 YEARS
Charge Method:
3 stages
Conversion Efficiency:
≥99%
Max.PV Input Voltage:
DC850V
Temperature Protection:
75℃
Display:
LCD,LED
Color:
Red
Controller Size:
390*500*230MM
Controller Weight:
18.8KG
Box Size:
590*440*320MM
Box Weight:

Packaging & Delivery​

Selling Units:Single itemSingle package size: 65X46X40 cmSingle gross weight:30.000 kgPackage Type:packing size:590*440*320mm
Gross weight: 23kg
Lead Time:
Quantity(pieces)1 - 50>50
Est. Time(days)7To be negotiated

384v MPPT Solar charge controller
Application: Solar project
System voltage:DC384V
Charge rated current:80A
Max. PV input voltage: DC850V
Rated PV power: 33280W
Warranty: 2 years
Certificates: CE FCC ROHS
OEM/ODM available

Last edited:
these seem promising and I believe you can have them custom-made to your specifications.... this was just one example of the ipanda MPPT in high voltage ....????
I have no actual usage with them but Mike G has several YouTube videos about his high voltage off-grid system.... where he utilizes the Sandi high voltage inverter and ipanda high voltage MPPT solar charge controller and a high voltage battery etc.... very interesting....

Last edited:
The Solis 5G ( US ) Hybrid line would do what you need out of the box up to 600V on battery voltages using a custom profile that can be programming using the front panel or RS485 / modbus.

I have one running a BYD battery box an mostly whole home backup.

It can do 6Kw battery charging ( 25 amps maximum ), typically with CAN or RS485 battery communications but you can also run in custom mode just using the battery voltages

There are lots of mppt controllers that can handle high voltage inputs, but only low voltage (typically 48V) output. I'm looking for a controller that can handle 380 VDC OUTPUT. I don't care what kind of chemistry it understands, I can turn off the controller with a contactor. It looks like I might have to build my own MPPT controller, adapting one of the open source designs. I REALLY don't want to do that. Using enphase or some other microinverter is probably a better alternative.

I'm kind of surprised that none of the off-grid manufacturers has offered this yet. It seems to me that the most practical source of batteries for off grid is salvaged Tesla Model 3/Y batteries given the rapidly rising production/sales rate. With the long warranty period for the batteries there's really no alternative market for salvaged batteries from wrecks other than perhaps a few hot rodders sticking batteries in old ICE cars. A 75KWh model 3 battery is about 10K or less on eBay. I guess most of the manufacturers would much rather sell their own power walls, and it's probably easier to market what is theoretically a plug 'n play solution, even if it's too small for practical use.

Research, pause reflect, research, repeat. I have been doing nothing but watching a listening to YouTube Video from EVTV / Jack & Team. There videos are detailed and long as they should be this is not child's play any more. The days of a Christmas light and a 9 Volt battery are over. I have been researching a power solution in my build, "to power a house". I want enough energy where I could actually provide power in cases of emergency The Tesla 3 Battery Pack is the way to go! All the inverters, BMS, nuts and bolts are under the Penthouse. I have a Tesla 3 Battery Pack ready to be installed in the insulated living area of the Freightliner FC-80 Chassis, a 14ft Custom Insulated Box will be mounted to the chassis. The tanks, additional engine under the tank and sweeper parts have been removed. The Tesla Battery Park will be built into the floor and it will fit beautifully within this build, thinking about removing the top plate of the battery pack so you can review from within the box. A 2' x 4' plexi-glass panel will be flush with the floor, soft lights to give it an attractive goals. (simply ideas at this time)

As you shared an initial response within this thread, you plan was to purchase the EVTV Model 3 Standalone Controller for your Tesla Model 3 batteries.

I will have about 1200 Watts of solar on the top of this build and have been asking myself similar questions, how do I charge the Tesla Model 3 battery via a Solar Array? If I plug into shore power, how do I charge the battery via 240 Volts?

During this video the following solution seems to appear. I still have questions.

Last edited:
There are lots of mppt controllers that can handle high voltage inputs, but only low voltage (typically 48V) output. I'm looking for a controller that can handle 380 VDC OUTPUT. I don't care what kind of chemistry it understands, I can turn off the controller with a contactor. It looks like I might have to build my own MPPT controller, adapting one of the open source designs. I REALLY don't want to do that. Using enphase or some other microinverter is probably a better alternative.

There are hybrids that take high voltage batteries. That could fit the bill, if you can emulate the BMS communication they expect.
This would give you MPPT charging of battery, also AC output. These probably don't expect other loads (or charge sources) DC coupled, but SoC would be tracked by the battery. That could mean allowed DC output from MPPT does not get increased when a DC load is drawing current, maybe only an issue if available PV exceeds allowed charge current.

Here are a couple from SMA, one available for European voltages now, one coming this summer for U.S.

Cool. I love the design. Mine was highly modified when I bought it so I felt I had a free reign in doing what I want. I gutted it and built a lightweight aluminum interior, stuck 1860W of PV on the roof and 2 Tesla model S modules under the frame in a steel box. Most of the point-to-point sensor and control wiring I've replaced with wireless (an MQQT-based local network) and converted the amazing analog level control system to digital. Those GMC engineers were incredible.
My parents acquired one in the 1980's. They still have it, it would be gut job. Dad thought the 455 used too much gas. It didn't really fit for their needs so it just sat and still sits, he starts it now and then but it hasn't moved out of the shed in some time. 5 grand or less would probably buy it, it did have mice in it, hence the gut job if I wanted to restore it. Worried about wiring damage from the mice.

diy solar

diy solar
Back