diy solar

diy solar

Are there any LiFe batteries that just "Work"? (a bit of a vent)

[Please Note] that I'm not the OD (Original Derailer ;·)
Not quite, but you can say you speak one that is made of three (four if you count Greek).

English is the ideal mongrel language. It also has one of the simplest structures and grammars (pity about the spelling, eh ;·)
If you think English grammar is complicated, try Romance languages :·/
Particularly French, which is designed to be confusing :·)
-

there's a lot more (Greco)Latin in English than what people (who aren't into languages) might think
In high school my grade 10, 11 and 12 English teacher had a masters in Latin.
I have a different perspective on English:)

OK, /VENT:

Now, I come from the FLA and AGM world so maybe I'm just biased but I've never had to open an app or connect my battery to the internet to get power out of the terminals. I can charge my batteries with off-the-shelf chargers available at the auto parts store (yes, even 24v).

I've kicked around the idea of pulling the trigger and making my own 24v LiFe pack for my new sheds, but even then I have to have a special "Activation" switch to turn it on, then I have to log in via Bluetooth to configure it, and that's after I have to have a special adjustable bench top power supply to balance all the cells, and so on. That seems like a major hassle when I'm not even stateside for 8-10 months a year. If anything goes wrong with the battery it's just going to sit there dead until I get home?

Granted, I'm not space constrained as much as temperature constrained so I don't have to worry about every ounce of weight. Call me weird but is it too much to ask for a battery that is truly "Plug-n-play"?

Sorry, just getting overwhelmed...
I wound up tinkering with my mobile solar power testbed (which uses lithium batteries) for several reasons, one was that I got tired of replacing the (flooded lead acid) starter battery, after it was run flat too many (in my experience, that's not many) times. It's true that I did not have the annoyance of discovering why a BMS disabled the connection, because there was no BMS. I don't have bluetooth on the cheap Daly I bought for the LiFePO4 battery I built (with large cylindrical cells, which were, apparently, only briefly available at a price I can afford), but I infer, from the mobile refrigerator's running, the pot of tea I make daily with an electric kettle, etc., and from other instruments (it is a testbed) that it's working tolerably well.

Back