diy solar

diy solar

Are there any batteries do not deteriorate while stored?

heimlich

Is there any battery that doesn't deteriorate from sitting in storage? I plan on using them in a camper for a few weeks a year and maybe a few other weekends. So, if you look at a whole year I'll use the batteries just a few times out of the year. Are there any batteries out there that don't lose their charging/discharging capabilities from sitting unused? I read that LIFEPO batteries last 10 years but aren't they like all the rest that if they are unused they deteriorate? I've read both but if I am only going to get 10 years out of them it may not be worth it. I just need a battery to keep the fridge running in between generator charges.

Also drain them a little before storage- really just not full. 60% to 75%.

Is there any battery that doesn't deteriorate from sitting in storage? I plan on using them in a camper for a few weeks a year and maybe a few other weekends. So, if you look at a whole year I'll use the batteries just a few times out of the year. Are there any batteries out there that don't lose their charging/discharging capabilities from sitting unused? I read that LIFEPO batteries last 10 years but aren't they like all the rest that if they are unused they deteriorate? I've read both but if I am only going to get 10 years out of them it may not be worth it. I just need a battery to keep the fridge running in between generator charges.
If you have solar, just leave the fridge on low and the charge controller on, and let the batteries cycle.

There are a lot of trade-offs, but several of the flooded chemistries can be purchased as dry/empty cells and activated by adding electrolyte when needed. Some lead-acid battery manufacturers advertise 5 - 10 years of storage with minimal loss of capacity. Nickel iron batteries should store more or less indefinitely in that state. That said, you really need to figure out what you're trying to accomplish since the downsides to those battery technologies may (probably?) outweigh the advantage of long shelf storage life.

There are a lot of trade-offs, but several of the flooded chemistries can be purchased as dry/empty cells and activated by adding electrolyte when needed. Some lead-acid battery manufacturers advertise 5 - 10 years of storage with minimal loss of capacity. Nickel iron batteries should store more or less indefinitely in that state. That said, you really need to figure out what you're trying to accomplish since the downsides to those battery technologies may (probably?) outweigh the advantage of long shelf storage life.

There's no way lead acid will last years without proper maintenance.

I have lithium batteries I store inside in a dry environment at 105f for 6 months. I store at 50%.

Perhaps they degrade. I find no good data about how much. I may use the trailer 30 days a year. I still expect these to last a decade doing this.

Certainly less of a risk storing them at 105 then breaking down the 16 cells weighing 200lbs and transporting them every year.

A battery off button would be nice. I thought maybe draining the lead acid batteries would work but I saw some posts that said not to do that.

There's no way lead acid will last years without proper maintenance.

I think you may have missed the specific case I was talking about. I'm referring to dry never activated flooded lead-acid batteries.

For example the Rolls documentation includes this;

Untitled.png

I can't remember where I saw the 5 to 10 years claim, but I'm pretty sure that's true. Presumably, storing the unused (never used/activated) batteries in a dry inert gas environment would help a lot too - maybe argon or nitrogen.

I think you may have missed the specific case I was talking about. I'm referring to dry never activated flooded lead-acid batteries.

For example the Rolls documentation includes this;

View attachment 198084

I can't remember where I saw the 5 to 10 years claim, but I'm pretty sure that's true. Presumably, storing the unused (never used/activated) batteries in a dry inert gas environment would help a lot too - maybe argon or nitrogen.
OP isn't talking about unused batteries

Don’t know what cells you have but these are the use and storage temperatures from the current EVE 304 cells, I would think they would be similar to what other cell manufacturers recommend. Sorry about the pictures the file will not let me save individual pages.

3B11D4EC-2DC7-4F91-B35B-4DC6054369CF.png1D5E4B93-DFC6-4608-86E3-1DB6DFE8AEF9.png

Sorry about the pictures the file will not let me save individual pages.

You can find the datasheets in 'Resources' on this site:

Some manufacturers sell dry lead acid batteries. You have to put the HCL in it yourself. Once you put it in I don't think you can remove it to stop the reaction.

Get a 12v lifepo4 and top it off at 13.0v every so often. Charge before use.

Or, just get a lead acid battery and keep it on a battery maintainer.

For a few times a year, lead acid is cheap.

Get a 12v lifepo4 and top it off at 13.0v every so often. Charge before use.

Or, just get a lead acid battery and keep it on a battery maintainer.

For a few times a year, lead acid is cheap.
But lead acid doesn't last that long, no matter how well you take care of them. LFP batteries should last decades

Lithium Titanium Oxide. The specs are insane. 6 minutes to charge 80%, Tolerate -30C, Don't mind being stored full. 5C continuous.
$18 for a 20Ah cell. Never cycled.
batteryhookup, if you're up for building a battery.
While batteryhookup offer looks very tempting I think LFP is still more cost efficient.
LTO 390 usd/kWh
LFP 70 usd/kWh

Reasonable assumption for LFP would be 10-15 years minimum if you don't store the cells at 100% charge in crazy hot temperatures.
If the loads are light the internal impedance rise also has minimal effect, with luck you get lot more than that 15 years but predicting anything that far is difficult at best.

LTO would need to survive for 50-80 years to be more cost effective, by that time we are growing grass...

Back