diy solar

diy solar

Are these new grade A CALB cells?

BlitzSSS

Hi all

I've recently ordered 8 of these cells from Aliexpress and the terminals look like the attached, brushed and helicoils in the positive terminals.

These cells look new otherwise I can't see any signs of wear on the cases. Voltage out of the box seems good but I'm yet to do a balance charge and capacity test.

Can anyone suggest anything I need to check or test?

Are the terminals normal for CALB cells or have I been deceive by the Aliexpress seller?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200912_080429.jpg
    20200912_080429.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200912_080400.jpg
    20200912_080400.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
This might help:

Hi all

I've recently ordered 8 of these cells from Aliexpress and the terminals look like the attached, brushed and helicoils in the positive terminals.

These cells look new otherwise I can't see any signs of wear on the cases. Voltage out of the box seems good but I'm yet to do a balance charge and capacity test.

Can anyone suggest anything I need to check or test?

Are the terminals normal for CALB cells or have I been deceive by the Aliexpress seller?

Thanks

What seller did you order from, do you have a link to the product listing?

Terminals look fine.

Is there a white, yellow, or red sticker with a barcode/serial number?

A top balance + capacity test (taking note of capacity and individual cell voltages), and if you have the means a basic internal resistance check.

You can't really verify cells are truly grade A with the tools most people have. There are however, many indicators that cells are not grade A that you can look for. But overall don't overstress about cell 'grade' once you have bought the cells. What's most important is are the cells decently matched, healthy, the advertised capacity, and do they meet your needs.

These two videos are some of the clearest, objective explanations on cell grade, and how to determine grade A/B/C/etc:

Thanks for your replies.

The Aliexpress seller is oye store - https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40011...er_id=8266dde2c1b140a496d9d384c2fa2214&is_c=N

The cells have yellow barcodes on them but the format does not match the information provided by CALB-USA in the link provided about the grey market cells, they have an extra digit/character. Also the shipping box did not have any of those warning/complaiance labels - but I am in Australia and these have come directly from China so not sure if that applies?

These are my first set of Lifepo4 batteries so Im currently charging/balancing and do plan on running a capacity test. I've been watching lots of videos on this including Wills so I should be ok with getting this stuff right.

Reactions: Dzl
Thanks for your replies.

The Aliexpress seller is oye store - https://m.aliexpress.com/item/40011...er_id=8266dde2c1b140a496d9d384c2fa2214&is_c=N

The cells have yellow barcodes on them but the format does not match the information provided by CALB-USA in the link provided about the grey market cells, they have an extra digit/character. Also the shipping box did not have any of those warning/complaiance labels - but I am in Australia and these have come directly from China so not sure if that applies?

These are my first set of Lifepo4 batteries so Im currently charging/balancing and do plan on running a capacity test. I've been watching lots of videos on this including Wills so I should be ok with getting this stuff right.

The yellow barcode is for domestic cells and the format might be a little different. Also brand new CALB cells have protective stickers covering the terminals.

I believe shipping costs are more when a supplier uses the shipping compliant label. So I wouldn't worry about that in relation to the quality of the cells you received.

There are many informative videos out there. There is also a bunch of information within this forum.

Running a capacity test on the cells and watching the cells voltages at the bottom of the test, and the voltages at the top when you charge will give you an idea of how well the cells are matched and the condition of the cells.

Thanks again

Yeah I'm currently charging them in 2x seperate 100ah 12v packs using an Isdt charger to just get an idea of the individual cell voltages and internal resistance. So far there's only 1 cell in each pack (so 2 cells out of the 8) that are a little off, but that could also be because I haven't balanced them by connecting them up in parallel, I don't know how well this Isdt charger handles this.

Next I'll hook all 8 up in parallel and do it properly - I may have wasted some time by not doing this first but I wanted to get a feel for each individual cell then I can see how they go. (also this is my first time so I'm learning the wiring/connections and what tools and gizmos I need)

Red is not positive, for some reason the Asian boys like black for positive.
I think this would need to be verified. Do you know for a fact red is not positive and can you provide a source?

It is true brown is negative and black is positive on the prismatic cells.

I think this would need to be verified. Do you know for a fact red is not positive and can you provide a source?

It is true brown is negative and black is positive on the prismatic cells.
I have 32 prismatic cells that way. It's no problem but could get exciting if you hooked a charger or BMS assuming red/brown is positive.
When I did a voltage check I noticed the minus sign on the VOM when I put the positive lead to red/brown. Still found it hard to believe, so tried a 1 amp blocking diode and a small flashlight bulb across the cell and the test light went on when it shouldn't have. So I think for me black is positive.

On my CALB cells Red is positive, black is negative. There is also a (+) and (-) molded in the case.

On my CALB cells Red is positive, black is negative. There is also a (+) and (-) molded in the case.
Can't see the + and - in the OP's photo. But I thought so. Thanks for confirming. I am attaching a photo that clearly shows red is positive with these types of cells.

Attachments

• CALB 100ah.jpg
    CALB 100ah.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 5
Back