diy solar

diy solar

At what point are you done top balancing?

ed1380

So the guide says to stop charging when the current is close to zero. Well how close? 50ma? 1amp? 5amp?

I have 8cell in parallel. That's 2240ah. If we charge at .1c then thats 224amps. Is .01c considered done because that's 22amps. What about .001c? Thats 2amps.

I know some power is getting turned into nothing but heat. So where do we draw the line?

Attachments

• 20210701_085908.jpg
    20210701_085908.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 18
Most manufacturers guidelines recommend 0.05 CRate.
100AH X 0.05 = 5A
Cells in parallel are viewed collectively as one for this purpose. If they are fully and properly topped off that will be the aggregate target value.
This is also used for Endamps, Tailamps and such for SCC's and Charger configurations

Note for charging.
if you take 8, 100AH cells put them in parallel, they will still only allow for a 0.5C Charge rate of 50A max. It is NOT additive.

Note for charging.
if you take 8, 100AH cells put them in parallel, they will still only allow for a 0.5C Charge rate of 50A max. It is NOT additive.

??

8, 100 Ah cells in parallel is 800 Ah. 0.5C charge rate would be 400A.

However, you can't be sure current will divide into them equally. If 7 were at 0.75 SoC and 1 was at 0.50C, as they charged into the knee of the curve, seven would slow down their charging waiting for the one to catch up, so one cell would get most of the current.

Seems to me for top balancing, best to limit charge current to what one cell can tolerate.
For operation in a pack having multiple cells series/parallel, charge and discharge currents can be higher than for a single cell, but not as high as the number in parallel indicates, since there will be some current imbalance; allow some margin.

Parallel balancing 2240 Ah of cells, you're not likely to charge at 0.1C, wouldn't have a big enough supply. Whatever constant current rate it can deliver, I think 1% of initial current would be good enough to call the cells balanced. If you had a 40A charger (5A per cell), then 400 mA (50 mA per cell) might be a good ending point.

Be aware that charging to 3.65V at 50 mA is higher SoC than 3.65V at 500 mA. If charger output is very low or total cells Ah capacity very large, could use a lower end voltage to avoid driving to higher SoC.

Steve - you said 0.05C was recommended - is that recommended endpoint for top balancing? Or just for termination of charging once assembled in a pack?

Steve - you said 0.05C was recommended - is that recommended endpoint for top balancing? Or just for termination of charging once assembled in a pack?
I take that from EVE's and others docs. I use that also as my End Amps for my SCC and same on the inverter.
I've one my fair share of top balancing and with different methods and such... and really when your reaching the top at whatever setting, say 3.600 with 280Ah cells I stop them at 14A for bulk CC or let it wind all the way down to 2A taken, by the time the cells settle, you end up at the same place. Putting it simply. I've done it individual cells and put the capacity tester on and no difference of note. We are talking like 1AH and that could even just be the tester connections etc even...

Now I do make use of FLOAT as I Absorb to 28.2 for 15 minutes (3.525vpc) (some call this boost) and then Float at 27.9V (3.4875vpc) to allow the balancers and everything to do their job and get everything nice and neat.

I had it set to .5amps and it did cut off. So I guess you can go lower. But for testing I want everything consistent so I'll be keeping that setting

As far as in use settings I'll just let the victron handle that

so random question that I don't want to start a new thread about. I checked the voltage of all the cells right out of the box and one of them was .599 so I talked to the seller and they asked to do a capacity test. All the cells so far have tested 286-289ah and this bad cell tested 289ah. so what's the chance it'll be fine?

so random question that I don't want to start a new thread about. I checked the voltage of all the cells right out of the box and one of them was .599 so I talked to the seller and they asked to do a capacity test. All the cells so far have tested 286-289ah and this bad cell tested 289ah. so what's the chance it'll be fine?
Is that a typo? 0.599V. that can't be and it still tested out at 289Ah? Sounds like it is tested OK to me.

So were you able charge up that bad cell back to 3.65V and perform the capacity test?

Yup. Charging it back up again and going to let it sit and compare self discharge rate

Last edited:
Back