diy solar

diy solar

ATS ignorant

UGT

I have put together a back up system for my small home basically consisting of 1200w solar on roof. 60a solar controller (2) 24v 200ah LiFePo4 batteries. 24v 3000w Giandel inverter. It is enuff to run the stuff I need for a few days even if the sun don't shine. Am looking for a way so that if my grid power fails my batteries will take over automatically. Seems like most systems I have looked at are the opposite made to run off batteries and then if batteries are low for whatever reason the grid power kicks in. That's not what I want. I am trying to avoid manual switching as I want to have it set up so that when I am gone off this planet my wife won't have to fiddle with switching stuff that she doesn't understand which makes her fearful of messing with it. Is there an automatic transition system that doesn't cost more installed than my batteries and a funeral that will make this transition when the grid AC power fails without having to push or flip any switches and that will transition automatically back to grid AC power when it comes back on.

I looked at the Moes Dual Power ATS thing but according to the diagrams provided it won't make the switch from main AC grid power to battery DC power. Does the opposite. https://www.amazon.com/MOES-Control...ocphy=9028277&hvtargid=pla-515838053244&psc=1

I have several ATSs in my home system and use MPP Solar in my trailer - so I have a little familiarity / understand what you're asking and will comment below - but I certainly don't know all the options.

You're correct that regular ATS like you're link and like this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAWNVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title - won't do what you're asking.

Some AIOs such as off-grid MPP Solar(s) will let you feed in grid and pv and battery and output power based on grid/pv/battery. They have an internal ATS that will auto-switch to battery if grid is no longer present. However, you'd need to run everything thru them (perhaps several in parallel) all the time.

It's an interesting topic, I'll be following.

Last edited:
Thank you. Hadden thought about the inverter having to be "on"all the time. Perhaps I will go to manual switch and just provide an easily interpretted instructions sheet and diagram so wife can make the transfer back and forth...an' so I won't forget either. Will have to ponder this a bit more.

I second the manual transfer switch concept for your present setup. However if you go this route you will need to understand that you should turn off loads before throwing the switch. It puts quite the stress on things to have them lose power and than regain it in a short period of time. Grid power can handle it easier than dumping a bunch of loads onto your inverter in one fell swoop.

Thank you. Here in Austin historically we haven't had that many regular power outtages so hard to justify keeping inverter on 24/7. My electrician guy had origianally suggest manual switch. Understand about the large load start up. Would include that in my instruction sheet for transferring power.

Back