diy solar

diy solar

Attic / Garage Junction box vs Roof Junction box

byteharmony

Sunny side up please.
I've found very little content on what goes on in the attic of a solar installation. This was a really helpful video for me:

Question: Why not just run the wires through the soladeck and then do the junctions in the attic / garage / basement in a junction box there??

I understand most roof installs won't have a lot of chunks or junction points. In my case I'll be connecting two 1/2" EMG runs from my roof that go through drilled holes that I patch with firewall caulk into my attached garage. There I plan on using a junction box in the garage that takes in four 1/2" EMT sets of wiring from all the soladecks and merges them into one 3/4" EMT that will run into the basement where there could be another junction box to merge another 1/2" conduit from a last string of panels into a 1" conduit that will go into the PV whole for my sol ark 15k.

I've found very little content on what goes on in the attic of a solar installation. This was a really helpful video for me:

Question: Why not just run the wires through the soladeck and then do the junctions in the attic / garage / basement in a junction box there??

I understand most roof installs won't have a lot of chunks or junction points. In my case I'll be connecting two 1/2" EMG runs from my roof that go through drilled holes that I patch with firewall caulk into my attached garage. There I plan on using a junction box in the garage that takes in four 1/2" EMT sets of wiring from all the soladecks and merges them into one 3/4" EMT that will run into the basement where there could be another junction box to merge another 1/2" conduit from a last string of panels into a 1" conduit that will go into the PV whole for my sol ark 15k.
This is a good question. Why do all the connections in a hard to reach location?

EMG - EMT My post autocotrected ?

With a little more experiance under my belt I now I can see it in the soladeck if it's not under a panel.

I still would rather be in an evening attic checking wires than a summer hot attic

In general I think the more experienced up here would say this is a non-issue. The problems are so rare. Just get it done

diy solar

diy solar
Back